Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us
No, MOV is just a wrapper, like MP4. It tends to be favoured by Mac users as it's a little more flexible than MP4 but it doesn't alter the content of video at all. For RAW video you'll need an Inspire.
Lol DJI puts it as RAW on the Phantom and Tello.

Do you think they are watching us?

I'll just point out that they shoot in 60fps but the final output for Youtube is at 24fps.
I'm sure they must have a spy infiltrating in here. If my conspiracy theory is correct and they truly read these forums, then that is positivr, since they read what the people want. Hopefully they give it to us..

Reactions: YuKay
Maybe they have a RAW photo mode but they don't do RAW video. If you want to see RAW video, you can download a file here by clicking on the Inspire.
I got home and checked things out. Well now I can call my brother and tell him he lied to me! ?? as far as the Phantom goes. On the Tello it does have the raw option available, which surprised me. How can I determine what to look for to compare raw with compressed h.264.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190216-141519_aTelloPilot.jpg
    Screenshot_20190216-141519_aTelloPilot.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 2
I got home and checked things out. Well now I can call my brother and tell him he lied to me! ?? as far as the Phantom goes. On the Tello it does have the raw option available, which surprised me. How can I determine what to look for to compare raw with compressed h.264.
If the Tello produces RAW anything, I will eat my hat and get my coat. Your source speaks with forked tongue.

PS. There's a difference between being wrong and being a liar. And he is family. Cosa Nonestica.

• Haha
Reactions: Ansia
If the Tello produces RAW anything, I will eat my hat and get my coat. Your source speaks with forked tongue.

PS. There's a difference between being wrong and being a liar. And he is family. Cosa Nonestica.
You are right. I took his word for it, without doing the diligent research. I just like messing with him. He is the one who got me started in the drone world. So I am thankful for that. I just ate to much and I'm having difficulty trying to breathe, but tomorrow I will take out my Tello (hope my motors don't burn out, since one of them needs lubrication) and do a quick video with raw and compressed mp4. Will post the footage here with a dropbox link.

You mean a comparison after processing? Try this and this.

And an hour of RAW 4k video weighs in at approx 1.8TB (1,800GB) compared to around 145GB for an hour of H.264 compressed video.
? my poor Tello can only record 720p. I highly doubt it will get that big. Thanks for the links.

Last edited:
…but tomorrow I will take out my Tello (hope my motors don't burn out, since one of them needs lubrication) and do a quick video with raw and compressed mp4. Will post the footage here with a dropbox link.
You won't. You can't post something that doesn't exist and can never exist. I wouldn't waste your time finding out when you could be eating instead.

• Haha
…and if you really believe that a really bad $100 drone can do something that you would otherwise have to spend $5,000 to get, I would love to sell you some of the detritus in my loft.

• Wow
You won't. You can't post something that doesn't exist and can never exist. I wouldn't waste your time finding out when you could be eating instead.
There are other reasons involved in this. Since I want to go fly my Evo anyways, what's the harm in wasting my time with this.

…and if you really believe that a really bad $100 drone can do something that you would otherwise have to spend $5,000 to get, I would love to sell you some of the detritus in my loft.
I have 0 expectations from footage taken out of a Tello. I have it simply to crash it inside my apartment. I just find it amusing it has that feature in it and now you peaked my curiosity on what does that little button does.

Autel Robotics posted this video below a few minutes ago. I found it interesting. Hope you guys do as well.

Best. Video. Ever! Thanks for posting it, good info. I love the inhaaaaaale exhaaaaaaaaale, that coaxed an lol out of me.

• Haha
? my poor Tello can only record 720p. I highly doubt it will get that big. Thanks for the links.
DJI don't claim that the Tello's allegedly RAW video is lossless and that's a clue that it isn't. In fact, the Tello claims to stream MP4 video which, in terms of consumer delivery, invariably means compressed and lossy - and if accurate means that the RAW data has already been processed into video before it is streamed.

RAW video isn't video at all but a bunch of binary 101010 digits which can't be viewed until they have been processed into video. We are used to drone cameras which process the sensor data on the fly using the lossy H.264 codec to write video files to the memory card.

But perhaps the Tello is streaming binary unprocessed data rather than video to the receiving device which does all the processing remotely - presenting you with an encoded video which is certainly not RAW as it will contain all the colour, exposure, sharpness and other data that you need in order to see it. It will be an H.264 video and you will not have access to any of the flat, RAW data that pro video editors want. So you are definitely not getting RAW video from the Tello, even if your device is receiving RAW data - which, for reasons given below, isn't possible.

The Tello's maximum bitrate setting is 4mbps which happens to be the recommended bitrate for H.264 video.

Uncompressed RAW 720p 8-bit video data would require approx 2.6MB per frame or around 250mbps (78 MB/sec) - which is approx 60 times higher bitrate than the Tello's max.

Given that the maximum possible lossless compression of RAW video data is 1:2 (albeit one geek claims 1:3), the Tello would need a bitrate of at least 80mbps to stream RAW data, which is 20 times higher than its max.

So, I look forward to seeing the result of your "RAW" video test.

DJI don't claim that the Tello's allegedly RAW video is lossless and that's a clue that it isn't. In fact, the Tello claims to stream MP4 video which, in terms of consumer delivery, invariably means compressed and lossy - and if accurate means that the RAW data has already been processed into video before it is streamed.

RAW video isn't video at all but a bunch of binary 101010 digits which can't be viewed until they have been processed into video. We are used to drone cameras which process the sensor data on the fly using the lossy H.264 codec to write video files to the memory card.

But perhaps the Tello is streaming binary unprocessed data rather than video to the receiving device which does all the processing remotely - presenting you with an encoded video which is certainly not RAW as it will contain all the colour, exposure, sharpness and other data that you need in order to see it. It will be an H.264 video and you will not have access to any of the flat, RAW data that pro video editors want. So you are definitely not getting RAW video from the Tello, even if your device is receiving RAW data - which, for reasons given below, isn't possible.

The Tello's maximum bitrate setting is 4mbps which happens to be the recommended bitrate for H.264 video.

Uncompressed RAW 720p 8-bit video data would require approx 2.6MB per frame or around 250mbps (78 MB/sec) - which is approx 60 times higher bitrate than the Tello's max.

Given that the maximum possible lossless compression of RAW video data is 1:2 (albeit one geek claims 1:3), the Tello would need a bitrate of at least 80mbps to stream RAW data, which is 20 times higher than its max.

So, I look forward to seeing the result of your "RAW" video test.
As you said, the "raw" data is recorded in h.264 format. What I found interesting was that in "raw" it records in 25fps instead of 30 of the mp4 version. I will link you both files when I get home, if you're interested.

Reactions: YuKay
As you said, the "raw" data is recorded in h.264 format. What I found interesting was that in "raw" it records in 25fps instead of 30 of the mp4 version. I will link you both files when I get home, if you're interested.
Thanks but no thanks - I slip into a trough of depression when I view footage from the Tello. How much did we bet on it?

Good question. I was thinking of another drone. The EVO doesn't offer raw video and I will edit my OP accordingly. However the Log colour profile will remove a lot of the processing overhead from the camera (leaving you to grade the footage in post instead) and that will streamline the capture chain and reduce the load on the memory card, making for the smoothest possible video capture.
Yes it does offer both a Raw option and a Raw plus JPEG option. Check camera settings.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58