Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Something odd w/ video file

John Ford

Reaction score
I noticed something odd today with my video files. Ar first I thought the problem was me but now I'm not so sure. Twice in the last week, I started recording, took off and flew for about 10-15 minutes. I was recording the entire time. But when I put the sd card in the computer, I discovered instead of one long file, there was two files. The first was 3.50 Gbyte and the second was around 100 Mbyte. Also the second started exactly where the first ended. I thought I had accidentally hit the record button, so I did it again today. Once again the first file was exactly 3.50 Gbyte long and the second was a couple of hundred Mbyte. And again, the second started exactly when the first stopped. Anyone else had anything like this happen? Thanks

johnf
UPDATE: I just finished chatting w/ Jason at Autel. The file splitting is normal. I feel better now. Can any video experts tell me the best way to splice the files. I am using Hitfilm 4 Express as an editor. Not the greatest but it is free.

Last edited:
Yes it is normal. My Yuneec UAV camera splits them about every 5 minutes. The splits will not be noticed in your final video no matter which video editor you use.
I ended up buying Cyberlink powerdirecter and love it.

I have noticed that when I just butt the segments together there is a slight but noticeable jerk or jump. I was wondering if there is a transition effect that would minimize this. Thanks

johnf

Yep, it's normal. Just drop the videos onto the timeline and make sure they "touch". As Augstine says, the split won't be noticed in the final product. Unless you didn't get the two clips exactly next to each other, of course!

I have noticed that when I just butt the segments together there is a slight but noticeable jerk or jump. I was wondering if there is a transition effect that would minimize this. Thanks

johnf

If you are getting a slight jump and it bothers you then you could always do a fade out and a fade in on the clips. I have not used Hitfilm 4 Express but I would think that would be a standard option for any video editor.

Thanks for everyone's input. I have been experimenting and have kind of decided that no transition effect is better than having one added.

johnf

I've looked over a few of my files, in different formats.

3.5 G will get you exactly....
8.21 min in 4k @ 29/30 fps,
8.21 min in 1080P @ 120 fps
12.32 min in 1080P @ 59/60 fps
20.03 min in 1080P @ 29/30 fps

Unfortunately, the reason I know this is my computer will only handle the lower 2 smoothly :(

The video I shot today was 11:08
long and was shot at 2.7k and 30 fps
johnf

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials