Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

SO! What are the Takeaways from CES 2019?

JSTorsrud

Reaction score
Nothing SUPER Amazing from Autel this year. I have to wonder if they are planning anything new for market or EVO improvements. The only beneficial device I see is the EVO Battery Multi-Charger. But, nothing else. Would be very interesting to hear directly from AUTEL?? Unfortunately, with the constant BATTLE with DJI, Autel will be reluctant to say anything!

I wonder how much could be improved upon if DJI and AUTEL were to collaborate on improving Consumer Drones?

None of the major players launched a new drone. Parrot was never going to but maybe DJI, Yuneec and Autel reached a gentleman's agreement to consolidate in the face of some temporary headwinds. But new products drive the market forward so sales may stagnate.

The most significant development imho was the launch of DJI's new Mavic Smart Controller which leapfrogs the EVO's RC in some respects but unfortunately has been designed by a kamikaze novice. It has obviously been built upside down to ensure that users accidentally activate the touch screen - their view of which is obstructed by their own hands! The side grips look unergonomic too and should result in many controllers slipping out of users' hands. In UK money, the Mavic 2 Pro with the new controller weighs in at £1,779 which positions it more in line with the Typhoon H+ than the EVO.

Autel have shown that they are still alive, although I have to wonder whether the cash spent on exhibiting at CES could have been better spent elsewhere - even if their absence would have been questioned.

I definitely want to see some positive, progressive moves from Autel with the next three months to prove that they have the resources to remain a player in this game. For me, the preferred signal of that would be expansion into one or more international markets - even if that would ideally happen when they have a wider range of products.

Trade wars with China, falling stock markets, political uncertainty, industry lay-offs and an uncertain regulatory environment are all conspiring to make a perfect storm which helps no-one and could be dangerous for any manufacturer without deep pockets.

To counter DJI's introduction of their Smart Controller, would be for AUTEL to come out with a Similar Smart Controller, with a Large HI-RES 7 inch screen and that would support both of their products to date: The X-Star and the EVO, all in one controller.

To counter DJI's introduction of their Smart Controller, would be for AUTEL to come out with a Similar Smart Controller, with a Large HI-RES 7 inch screen and that would support both of their products to date: The X-Star and the EVO, all in one controller.
@JSTorsrud might as well just purchase the Yuneec Typhoon H Plus at $1,800. 1 inch sensor and built in 7" monitor on the controller. The EVO controller works great if you rig it with a 7" tablet and sunshade. I have both and the EVO is much easier to take a quick flight. The Ty H takes a bit to get set up but is also an excellent drone.

Attachments

• DSCN6007B.jpg
    DSCN6007B.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 29
Autel got burned last year at CES by announcing the release of the Evo then got really bad press when they couldn’t deliver. I think they learned a hard lesson. I have an Evo and prefer it over my MP1 and Typhoon H with real sense. I hope they make it.

I'm bummed that they didn't announce a 1" sensor at a reasonable price. If they do announce a new bird, I hope they take note and redesign the Evo Pro with a removable gimbal and better positioning to avoid props in the shot. Having to point your camera down is not acceptable answer in my book. I also hope they quit lying about flight time. Being off by 8 to 10 minutes with perfect conditions is just plain false advertising. I won't buy DJI and really want to see Autel succeed.

Reactions: Hawkeye Alaska
I'm bummed that they didn't announce a 1" sensor at a reasonable price. If they do announce a new bird, I hope they take note and redesign the Evo Pro with a removable gimbal and better positioning to avoid props in the shot. Having to point your camera down is not acceptable answer in my book. I also hope they quit lying about flight time. Being off by 8 to 10 minutes with perfect conditions is just plain false advertising. I won't buy DJI and really want to see Autel succeed.

Anyone notice the remote control has a bigger capacity battery then the drone??? 6700mAh .vs. 4300mAh. Lower voltage. Is it a NiMH (for those who opened it)?

I applaud DJI for coming out with the controller, but have to question both the style of it as well as the price. At half the cost it would still be a questionable investment, but at the listed cost there is no way I would go for it. It makes a "complete" current day MP2 setup in the 2k range, which is too much in my opinion. It should not have added more than 150 bucks to the cost of a controller (to DJI to manufacture) and even that is probably on the high end.

I applaud DJI for coming out with the controller, but have to question both the style of it as well as the price. At half the cost it would still be a questionable investment, but at the listed cost there is no way I would go for it. It makes a "complete" current day MP2 setup in the 2k range, which is too much in my opinion. It should not have added more than 150 bucks to the cost of a controller (to DJI to manufacture) and even that is probably on the high end.
$300 would have been more reasonable in my opinion. It has a lot of tech built-in and the screen is very bright. I would love Autel to come with a controller with a little bigger screen than in the current form but at least it does the job well.

Unfortunately, with the constant BATTLE with DJI, Autel will be reluctant to say anything!

I wonder how much could be improved upon if DJI and AUTEL were to collaborate on improving Consumer Drones?

I think there's as much chance of that happening as there is a Satan allowing water in hell. Considering their ongoing battle with DJI and DJI's recent acquisition of patents from Microsoft to fight against Autel's patent infringement suits.

@JSTorsrud might as well just purchase the Yuneec Typhoon H Plus at $1,800. 1 inch sensor and built in 7" monitor on the controller. The EVO controller works great if you rig it with a 7" tablet and sunshade. I have both and the EVO is much easier to take a quick flight. The Ty H takes a bit to get set up but is also an excellent drone.

I have a Nexus 7 tablet I might use with the EVO ...quick question sir...What sunshade are you using?

$300 would have been more reasonable in my opinion. It has a lot of tech built-in and the screen is very bright. I would love Autel to come with a controller with a little bigger screen than in the current form but at least it does the job well.

Much more reasonable for the DJI price. On the Evo side I've never flown my Evo without an attached phone/tablet. Wonder how well it works.

Much more reasonable for the DJI price. On the Evo side I've never flown my Evo without an attached phone/tablet. Wonder how well it works.
I use it all the time without phone and works very well

The integral OLED screen is excellent and flying without a phone or tablet is liberating. But if you need to use the intelligent flight modes, you will need to connect the app.

Reactions: macoman
I have a Nexus 7 tablet I might use with the EVO ...quick question sir...What sunshade are you using?
@safari The sunshade is made for the RED Camera 7" monitor. It is called the small rig. I got it on Amazon. I cut some Velcro strips and attached it to my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7" tablet and it is super secure. Easy assembly and removal. If you get it make sure you don't cover the camera and audio slots on the back of the tablet. Use a few small strips. Here are a couple of photos and a link https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075ZM3RP2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• IMG_2448.jpg
    IMG_2448.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2449.jpg
    IMG_2449.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2450.jpg
    IMG_2450.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Nothing SUPER Amazing from Autel this year "" only beneficial device I see is the EVO Battery Multi-Charger. But, nothing else. Would be very interesting to hear directly from AUTEL???

May I ask . Did AUTEL give any indications when the release of the Multi- EVO charger would be?

May I ask . Did AUTEL give any indications when the release of the Multi- EVO charger would be?
NO INDICATION! Just Soon! And we all know what SOON means from Autel, 6 months to a Year! It all depends on when CHINA can gear up production and get them shipped over here. And then it depends on the pricing too???

Nothing SUPER Amazing from Autel this year. I have to wonder if they are planning anything new for market or EVO improvements. The only beneficial device I see is the EVO Battery Multi-Charger. But, nothing else. Would be very interesting to hear directly from AUTEL?? Unfortunately, with the constant BATTLE with DJI, Autel will be reluctant to say anything!

My guess is that they have limited R&D resources and chose to focus on supporting equipment that a pro user will need before they release a pro Evo. A multi-charger and a way to connect a second monitor for clients are must-haves for most professionals.

Read between the lines. :)

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigmaxsg