Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Why Are the Touch Points so small on Smart Controllers 8 inch display?

BlairAir

Reaction score
For everyone who has spent time tap tap tapping on Autel V2/V2 Smart Controllers display, I wanted to open a discussion on the subject. Some applications are better than others, some almost unworkable due to the incredibly small active touch area for graphic "buttons", "numbers", "sliders" etc. This is true on most application's screens on this tablet/controller. With 8" of display, they made most touch points incredibly small... Arrrggghh, so unnecessary with all the blank space around them. Also anyone who has spent time tap tap tapping on this display may have noticed the touch points are misaligned with the graphics. I found this in Mission Planning. For POI Altitude, instead of getting red in the face at the 6" long slider, where 1" of finger travel = 300 feet - making fine adjustments very difficult, I generally tap on the number and input from the pop-up number pad. Using a stylus (the pencil eraser sized tip, I discovered the touch point is actually skewed up from the graphic. To see if your SC is like mine; whenever your repeatedly tapping a touch point unsuccessfully, try tapping a tiny bit higher-towards the top of the display. I would be curious if others are the same, in which case I would make Autel aware of it. Just for fun, not with any expectation of an actual fix or anything 😆

Basically, with a relatively large display such as this, I have to believe there's room to make the active area of the screen larger, and possibly more sensitive - a hardware dependency, but if possible it could help, in the way Samsung provides on phone OLED displays to overcome screen protector overlays such as tempered glass etc. I saw a few reviews with this tap-tap-tapping and was alarmed that little attention was drawn to it. This is our interface. We have few hardware buttons, which looks really clean, but a takeoff/land button would have been nice.

Yes, I agree that the touch sensitivity and precision on the SC is not fantastic. The sliders are probably the worst.

Yes, this is the type of work that requires system updates and I anxiously check for them on a regular basis. So far nothing. I don't think they're going to put as much into this expensive controller as they originally anticipated. This is a shame. So much potential going un-utilized

Was thinking the small touch spots, pop ups e.g. red "cancel", pop out/slide out (top left small arrow for camera view/settings in missions) etc were unique to the autel app on phone size devices. To hear that it is also a problem on the larger SCs is discouraging, however also encouraging as hopefully autel will figure out they need to make those items larger, or, give a settings option for user to select Small, Medium, Large icon displays. The most annoying and difficult of them all is the top left slide out when in missions. Makes me wonder if the app/ui designers, engineers have ever actually used their sw on a phone sized device out in the cold or in the real world vs on a large screen development systems in a nice warm office.

Reactions: vr-pilot

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy