Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Shame on Autel Nano, Nano + and EVO Lite.

Dale EVO 2 V2

Reaction score
With the onset of the Autel Nano, Nano + and EVO Lite announced yesterday on their site I believe the Autel team has some 'splainin' to do. I called them in Washington and asked about the support for the Smart Controller Version 1 and the Smart Controller Version 2 with the new Nano, Nano + and the EVO Lite? The person on the phone said he would have to ask the tech in the back whether the V1 or V2 Smart Controller worked with the new drones. He came back and said that none of the Smart Controllers V1 or V2 will work with the new drones.

This begs the question then why did I buy the EVO 2 Pro 6K Pro Version 2 and WHY do I have the Smart Controller Version 2 ordered through drone-works.com? Autel seems to be a one trick pony in that their drones and smart controllers only work with certain drones and specific chips. I do like the Autel products in the EVO 2 drones but now it seems my ability to resell my V2 drone will only be sold with the V2 smart controller. Seems like my drone is pigeon holed into selling to very specific buyers.

It also stops me buying the new sub 250 gram drones to use with my smart controller. That smart controller V2 still IS NOT delivered to me yet. Seems to me that Autel keeps throwing out products and information then sit on their hands with deliveries. Have waited all summer to get a V2 drone and now I sit and wait this fall for the V2 smart controller. When you call the headquarters they just keep saying that WE DON'T KNOW WHEN the new product will be shipped to your retailer.

Wonder if they make good on deliveries on their latest code readers for automotive? Hmmmmmm.............

Last edited by a moderator:
All good points you mention, but I don't believe Autel has ever said that the Autel Smart Controller for EVO II Series would be compatible with all future drones they release. By the sounds of it, the Autel Smart Controller (V2) you have purchased is for use with your EVO II Pro V2 drone. Yes, it would be awesome to have a Smart Controller that works across an entire fleet, we are right there with you on this one! ;)

Personally speaking when I got my EVO II Pro V1 there was not even talks or a peep about Autel ever having a Smart Controller, rumors came out shortly thereafter and then almost a year later Autel brought out the Smart Controller V1 and now the V2. Even if I could've gotten a V1 Smart Controller I would be making that investment solely for my V1 EVO II Pro. If it was compatible with future drones that I wanted, great, that's the cherry on top of it all!

We have seen these exact same growing pains over the years with DJI, this is no different, unfortunately. There was a period of time that DJI's Smart Controller was only compatible with specific systems and not others. Eventually as new models released they were able to change/update transmission protocols on future drones to be compatible with existing Smart Controllers.

The Nano and Lite are using a transmission system and protocol referred to as Skylink. This can be compared to DJI's Lightbridge and Ocusync transmission systems. There were always disconnects between 1st, 2nd, 3rd gen etc. Technology evolves, as do transmission protocols.

The whole V1/V2 version topic has certainly been frustrating and infuriating to everyone, but given the chip situation worldwide, Autel had to bite the bullet and make a tough decision moving to a new chip supplier which in turn created V1 and V2 versions.

This topic of a Smart Controller that works across an entire fleet is a hot topic right now, also discussed in this thread/post here and here.

As we've previously mentioned, we are not here to debate a customer's ROI on their equipment investment, but what we can say is that if you are frustrated in your investment in an Autel Smart Controller or by the fact that your current SC is not compatible with Autel's newly released drones, then I would either return it (if the system was purchased from Advexure, we'll work with you) or let it go to another EVO II V2 owner.

The Nano and Lite are using a transmission system and protocol referred to as Skylink.

From the sounds of it, this is an upgrade from the dual band system offered on the Evo II v2. Do you guys have any first hand experience with it, or further info? If it is an improved system, do you know why it wasn't included on the Enterprise series (where it's needed most)?

From the sounds of it, this is an upgrade from the dual band system offered on the Evo II v2. Do you guys have any first hand experience with it, or further info? If it is an improved system, do you know why it wasn't included on the Enterprise series (where it's needed most)?
We do not have any experience with the Autel Nano or Lite...just was announced yesterday (9/28) and not shipping until late October/early November.

In our experience for all VLOS operations, EVO II Enterprise's transmission quality and range has been plenty and very stable. 👌 A lot of our time lately with the EV2E has been in urban areas in both Sacramento and Los Angeles, pretty crowded RF environments.

Reactions: aebiv and SARty
I have the smart controller 2 for my Evo 2 Enterprise, and to be frank I don't want to use it with the Nano...the thing is huge and heavy and the entire point of the Nano is to be light and small. The Nano is the device I want to throw in my backpack and take hiking, biking, boating, etc...it's not meant for the kind of work the Smart Controller is. I was actually thrilled to see the new controller, as I was worried they'd go the DJI route and introduce a controller that's larger than the drone.

The Nano is the device I want to throw in my backpack and take hiking, biking, boating, etc...it's not meant for the kind of work the Smart Controller is.
If I owned the smart controller, I would want at least the option of flying my Nano on it. I agree that much of the time it might be fine to use the Nano's native controller but even the small drones can be used in a professional manner that might require a bigger screen or more precision in the controls. A sub 250g Nano can be used in countries and places where larger drones can't go...... Pros should be allowed to make their own choice of which controller they want to fly with.

I'm not intending to single anyone out with this comment, except Autel themselves -

The "consumer" models are also used commercially and, more to the point, by Public Safety. There's a long list of reasons why it's shortsighted to not allow the use of a single controller and app to control an entire fleet. If Autel wants to make a stripped down app in addition, fine - but Explorer should work with the consumer models too.

Common example (currently being done with DJI, etc.): SWAT using a Nano to clear a home or building. Giving the operator the option of using the Smart Controller and app that they were trained on and fly with every day, its larger brighter screen, ability to easily connect to a large tv/monitor, goggles, etc. is all pretty important stuff.

ETA: @Saladshooter, well said! Didn't mean to copy you.

Last edited:
I have the smart controller 2 for my Evo 2 Enterprise, and to be frank I don't want to use it with the Nano...the thing is huge and heavy and the entire point of the Nano is to be light and small. The Nano is the device I want to throw in my backpack and take hiking, biking, boating, etc...it's not meant for the kind of work the Smart Controller is. I was actually thrilled to see the new controller, as I was worried they'd go the DJI route and introduce a controller that's larger than the drone.
same thing was said about the dji mini 2. it's a toy and should only be flown with a toy remote. dji should refrain from making it compatible in order to force you to update to a newer more expensive product if you want to enjoy something better. how did that work out for them? first it's ridiculous to think dji or autel would think that way and second, no harm in making it compatible and giving the consumer options. second, I think it's a good idea for autel to say aloud cross-compatibility is coming soon we are working on it but I understand if they don't announce it right away.

Reactions: Flyhighdroneboy
I'm not intending to single anyone out with this comment, except Autel themselves -

The "consumer" models are also used commercially and, more to the point, by Public Safety. There's a long list of reasons why it's shortsighted to not allow the use of a single controller and app to control an entire fleet. If Autel wants to make a stripped down app in addition, fine - but Explorer should work with the consumer models too.

Common example (currently being done with DJI, etc.): SWAT using a Nano to clear a home or building. Giving the operator the option of using the Smart Controller and app that they were trained on and fly with every day, its larger brighter screen, ability to easily connect to a large tv/monitor, goggles, etc. is all pretty important stuff.
100% well said. We have hundreds of agencies across the country using DJI Mini 2's for indoor/tactical missions on a daily basis. Until DJI Smart Controller compatibility came for the Mini 2 it was was very hard to integrate the solution given that the Fly app and standard RC had no way to easily output a feed whether it be HDMI or something else. Smart Controller changed that, but also remember that the Mini 1 did not have any Smart Controller compatibility, DJI couldn't make it happen until the second gen given the differing transmission protocols between 1 and 2.

Not good to put a label "consumer" on a tool that is used across many sectors, many times for applications that aren't typically a "consumer" use, i.e. public safety, inspection, you name it.

same thing was said about the dji mini 2. it's a toy and should only be flown with a toy remote. dji should refrain from making it compatible in order to force you to update to a newer more expensive product if you want to enjoy something better. how did that work out for them? first it's ridiculous to think dji or autel would think that way and second, no harm in making it compatible and giving the consumer options. second, I think it's a good idea for autel to say aloud cross-compatibility is coming soon we are working on it but I understand if they don't announce it right away.
In this case, I suspect it's more than that: from what I'm seeing on the range claims, I'm guessing the radio tech in the new Nano/Lite controller is different (aka incompatible) with the Evo 2 tech. This is unfortunate for those of us (Me) who just bought the SmartController only to find they have older, less effective tech.

Have a feeling the Autel Evo 3 will have same type of Transmission technology capabilities as Nano/Lite series, only Evo V3 will have an increased range and longer flight time over both Evo 2 V1 and Evo 2 V2 models. And another SC in the works, a SC V3. Maybe then, Nano series and Evo 3 V3 will be coupled together to operate off its newer SC V3 version including additional models in the future. Makes sense, just my opinion.

Both Evo 3 V3 and SC V3 will be completely different from Evo 2 V1/ Evo 2 V2, so I’m starting to feel much better with my SC V1, actually not that much different from SC V2.

Still, very happy with my current Evo 2 V1 and SC V1. Think I’ll wait and see what’s on the horizon, this is just my opinion.

Do you know what the money differential is between the consumer market and the commercial / enterprise market?
It's huge. Autel is locking down the commercial/enterprise market first, then it may or may not give the consumer market some attention. V2 Smart Controllers are shipping in enterprise kits, with Dragonfish and with RTK units.
They get first preference it seems. I believe they're servicing the market they believe has the biggest up-side with the least amount of effort to support. Could be off-base here... but the evidence does seem to suggest some type of scenario like this.

Consumers buy one drone per consumer, even if they buy one of each, it's still only one. Commercial buyers by fleets of drones. And have set maintenance life cycles and replacement plans with town, city, state and federal money.

The V1 Chip "shortage" was as much about making hardware that could be approved by commercial and government agencies as it was actual chip shortage.

Also, given that the ability for encryption and other enterprise features is built into the smart controller, it may be that they really don't want or care if the consumer market gets fast or consistent service.

Almost every enterprise product they make ships with or is combined with their SC. Look what they're doing with their consumer products... they've done a DJI and released an updated controller that's based off the design principals of a Video Game controller. They're clearly signaling that they're making a clear line between consumer and Commercial / Enterprise. What is falling through the cracks is the "prosumer" market, which they're sort of servicing with the ability of the SC to work with some of their consumer offerings.

Not saying this is good or bad, and clearly its frustrating given how DJI has handled this... but with the new Mavic 3 coming out with new SC to support their new OC3... I wouldn't be surprised if they limit these in the same way.

Bottom line is that if you're a "Prosumer" who wants the high end stuff... be prepared to move into the commercial space and pay for it.

Best of luck to us all.

- Hal

Reactions: Theborg
The 50MP camera specs (particularly the RYYB Bayer arrangement) on the Nano + would seem to indicate a sensor being used prior only with Huawei flagship phones. Autel's using it might have to do with the chip shortage, once again, could be they've chosen whatever parts happen to be readily available. In this case, it might also be that the Huawei chipset is from a company on the Chinese Entities List?. Perhaps by not offering the Nano + as anything but a consumer drone, Autel would like to draw a bright line between their new and existing offerings (such that the Enterprise and Evo II v2 are the airframe of choice for anyone in or contracting with a US federal agency or branch of gov't)
The 1/1.23" size sensor works out to .78"... unusual size not found in the sensor size comparisons. Could this in fact be larger than the actual diagonal of the so called "one-inch" sensor used in the Evo II Pro? (Which is actually .62") Old vidicon CRT tube diameters standards from the 1950's confuse matters. Doubting this .78" spec is the actual diagonal, I wanted to follow up by consulting the follows the technical spec sheet for this 50MP RYYB sensor, but no joy yet-- can somebody point to a link or upload it?

Last edited:
Have a feeling the Autel Evo 3 will have same type of Transmission technology capabilities as Nano/Lite series, only Evo V3 will have an increased range and longer flight time over both Evo 2 V1 and Evo 2 V2 models. And another SC in the works, a SC V3. Maybe then, Nano series and Evo 3 V3 will be coupled together to operate off its newer SC V3 version including additional models in the future. Makes sense, just my opinion.

Both Evo 3 V3 and SC V3 will be completely different from Evo 2 V1/ Evo 2 V2, so I’m starting to feel much better with my SC V1, actually not that much different from SC V2.

Still, very happy with my current Evo 2 V1 and SC V1. Think I’ll wait and see what’s on the horizon, this is just my opinion.
I have the Duo II coming for my V1 SC. That will give it MORE range than the V2 given my experience with the 2.4ghz pro on my standard controller. I'll be flying my V1 Pro 6k along time. So much so, that I bought a spare when it was on sale for $1199. If I want a 3rd it will have to be ebay or the market place here. But, I'll get another 2-3 years from my V1. If you get 3+ years out of a drone, your doing good. That is longer than many people keep their cars and certainly longer than most keep their phones. I live in FL and the 2000 nits on the SC just rocks. Honestly, my next drone could be the XDynamics Evolve 2 which comes with TWO 1000nit screens on its controller. The interchangeable lenses for 1/3 the price of a loaded Inspire 2 , makes it a good option.

All good points you mention, but I don't believe Autel has ever said that the Autel Smart Controller for EVO II Series would be compatible with all future drones they release. By the sounds of it, the Autel Smart Controller (V2) you have purchased is for use with your EVO II Pro V2 drone. Yes, it would be awesome to have a Smart Controller that works across an entire fleet, we are right there with you on this one! ;)

Personally speaking when I got my EVO II Pro V1 there was not even talks or a peep about Autel ever having a Smart Controller, rumors came out shortly thereafter and then almost a year later Autel brought out the Smart Controller V1 and now the V2. Even if I could've gotten a V1 Smart Controller I would be making that investment solely for my V1 EVO II Pro. If it was compatible with future drones that I wanted, great, that's the cherry on top of it all!

We have seen these exact same growing pains over the years with DJI, this is no different, unfortunately. There was a period of time that DJI's Smart Controller was only compatible with specific systems and not others. Eventually as new models released they were able to change/update transmission protocols on future drones to be compatible with existing Smart Controllers.

The Nano and Lite are using a transmission system and protocol referred to as Skylink. This can be compared to DJI's Lightbridge and Ocusync transmission systems. There were always disconnects between 1st, 2nd, 3rd gen etc. Technology evolves, as do transmission protocols.

The whole V1/V2 version topic has certainly been frustrating and infuriating to everyone, but given the chip situation worldwide, Autel had to bite the bullet and make a tough decision moving to a new chip supplier which in turn created V1 and V2 versions.

This topic of a Smart Controller that works across an entire fleet is a hot topic right now, also discussed in this thread/post here and here.

As we've previously mentioned, we are not here to debate a customer's ROI on their equipment investment, but what we can say is that if you are frustrated in your investment in an Autel Smart Controller or by the fact that your current SC is not compatible with Autel's newly released drones, then I would either return it (if the system was purchased from Advexure, we'll work with you) or let it go to another EVO II V2 owner.
Actually, this is what Autel Robotics represented w.r.t. the smart controller, "The Autel Smart Controller will support more Autel aircraft in the future."

During the chip shortage debacle, and after preordering a smart controller before a V1/V2 concept ever existed, this was what was promised and advertised.

I'd say Autel walked this back, but this the the key feature that was promised and eliminated that resulted in that hyperactive thread.

What has materialized to date, a statement of fact as of 10/3/2021 is:
  1. The V1 Smart controller will support no additional AUtel Aircraft in the future (and their former CEO's promise to make it right may not be embraced by Autel Robotics).
  2. The V2 Smart controller will not support the Nano and Lite aircraft, supports the Evo II Enterprise and possibly the Evo III.

1622858835978-png.10615

Even this link currently makes this claim today: Autel Smart Controller V2

Reactions: YuKay and advexure
I hope you all know this isnt just Autel....its a world wide problem and its only gonna get worse. Everything is sitting

Reactions: Robert0220
I did predict this and this scenario was just one in a long list of reasons why I personally chose to skip the SC. There isn't even a guarantee that the SC will work with the EVO III but my iPad mini will.

Reactions: Theborg
I did predict this and this scenario was just one in a long list of reasons why I personally chose to skip the SC. There isn't even a guarantee that the SC will work with the EVO III but my iPad mini will.
I have 2 Evo II Pro 6k. I bought the 2nd when it was on sale at Best Buy for 1199. So it was worth buying the V1 SC as I'll have those drones for 2-3 yrs with 2 of them. To be honest, not sure we should worry about any drones until 2023 once Remote ID takes full impact. It's going to take that long for chip supply to normalize.

Actually, this is what Autel Robotics represented w.r.t. the smart controller, "The Autel Smart Controller will support more Autel aircraft in the future."

During the chip shortage debacle, and after preordering a smart controller before a V1/V2 concept ever existed, this was what was promised and advertised.

I'd say Autel walked this back, but this the the key feature that was promised and eliminated that resulted in that hyperactive thread.

What has materialized to date, a statement of fact as of 10/3/2021 is:
  1. The V1 Smart controller will support no additional AUtel Aircraft in the future (and their former CEO's promise to make it right may not be embraced by Autel Robotics).
  2. The V2 Smart controller will not support the Nano and Lite aircraft, supports the Evo II Enterprise and possibly the Evo III.

1622858835978-png.10615

Even this link currently makes this claim today: Autel Smart Controller V2
SC V1 doesn't have skylink protocol. I think that future drones from Autel will work only with skylink.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo