Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Questions for Mapping and 3d Models

DFDrone

Reaction score
I'm looking at Autel over the DJI drones I've had for mapping and creating 3d models of large areas. Mainly because DJI geofencing has ruined many projects. Need a drone for capture to create accurate 3d models with textures for areas, houses, buildings, etc. I have some questions below about what to get and what to expect.

1) I was looking at the Evo II Pro V2 for mapping, but should I be considering the Evo II Enterprise, or the Evo II RTK instead?

2) Do the Evo II Enterprise, or the Evo II RTK come in V2 like the Evo II Pro? Not sure of all the differences and v1 to v2.

3) What mapping software do you use for capture. I tried a Evo II Pro quite a while ago, the built in Autel mapping software seemed a little clunky, I had to restart the mission from the beginning twice, and sometimes it would jump spots and miss mapping. Maybe it's better now.

4) Would you consider this better than say a DJI Phantom 4 RTK and why?

5) Would you recommend the Autel Smart Controller or regular with tablet?

I am not a professional mapper but I have can offer some advice, there are some other great mappers on the forum who may chime in.

If you will only be mapping I would go with the Evo 2 Pro RTK and yes they just started shipping the V2 model of the RTK. The Enterprise kit can also use the RTK module but it is an extra cost accessory and if you dont need the speaker, spotlight or beacon then it is not needed.

The smart controller is pretty nice but not needed in my opinion, it really depends on if you would rather have a large bright display and not have to bother with a separate phone/device. It is a bit bulky and will not fit in the case for the RTK so portability would suffer.

They have been gradually working on the Explorer App and the mapping functions work pretty good in my experience BUT it has to since the 3rd party SDK and developer support form Autel is abysmal (as is my understanding). Also look into advanced mission planning with Ucgs:

Reactions: AussieCate
Hi Detritalgeo,

Thank you for the great info! So the RTK will be a big help in mapping and accuracy of creating photogrammetry 3d models over the Evo II pro? Or does it just help a bit? Just wondering in comparison mapping and photogrammetry, RTK vs no RTK.

I'm looking at Autel over the DJI drones I've had for mapping and creating 3d models of large areas. Mainly because DJI geofencing has ruined many projects. Need a drone for capture to create accurate 3d models with textures for areas, houses, buildings, etc. I have some questions below about what to get and what to expect.

1) I was looking at the Evo II Pro V2 for mapping, but should I be considering the Evo II Enterprise, or the Evo II RTK instead?

2) Do the Evo II Enterprise, or the Evo II RTK come in V2 like the Evo II Pro? Not sure of all the differences and v1 to v2.

3) What mapping software do you use for capture. I tried a Evo II Pro quite a while ago, the built in Autel mapping software seemed a little clunky, I had to restart the mission from the beginning twice, and sometimes it would jump spots and miss mapping. Maybe it's better now.

I would recommend you read through this Forum a bit regarding the Models you are interested in. I had to return a newly purchased Evo 2 Pro V2 in less than a week of receipt because the controller would not connect with the Explorer flight app. Autel Support is worse than DJI and Autel seems to have more issues with Firmware Updates failing etc. In my case, I think I had a bad USB Module on my controller but who really knows. If you have DJI now, stick with them. GeoFencing is easier to get around nowadays with just YES I take responsibility for my flight. If you are in CLASS D airspace that would be another matter, needed to file a LAANC which is really easy, but your flight altitude would be restricted. Many of these folks on here are extremely helpful because they have been through it.

Anway, good luck and Fly Safe!

Reactions: AussieCate
Thanks for your input Shastaski. I had a DJI Mavic 2 Pro which I couldn't even take off in my entire town. It was ridiculous, and you can on the app ask for permission to take off in the area, but never have I gotten a response when I've asked for permission to fly. So I'm kind of over DJI's unreliability to even take off.

Thanks for your input Shastaski. I had a DJI Mavic 2 Pro which I couldn't even take off in my entire town. It was ridiculous, and you can on the app ask for permission to take off in the area, but never have I gotten a response when I've asked for permission to fly. So I'm kind of over DJI's unreliability to even take off.
Sorry to hear that! What is it that is causing that? Military Base, Airport, Jail?

Tiny airport, but they blocked out the entire large town, it's ridiculous. I've Traveled to other areas for projects just to find I cannot take off either. It's not worth the risk with DJI.

Reactions: Shastaski
Viva.
para mapear o EVO 2 RTK é bastante bom, eu acho.
uso o app da autel e uso a missão obliq. e no meu software (3D Survey) funciona muito bem, melhor do que os voos MAVIC 2 pro.
a questão de voar em sitios cancelados a autel não em impedimentos, mas convem ser criterioso e equilibrado pois é uma grande responsabilidade colocar um drone no ar.

Sorry about the situation with your local airport. Pilot Institue has a great free video on how to unlock geofencing on DJI drones. How to Unlock Dji Drones - Pilotinstitute

Reactions: Shastaski
Hi, It's time to expand your horizon using drones to do mapping. It may seem intimidating, or expensive, but is a lot easier than doing video editing and almost free.

You need an Autel EVO 2 drone that supports Missions in the Autel Explorer app. Autel Missions allows either waypoints, polygon, or rectangular missions. Autel's missions is a gold standard to produce a series of photos that can be used for mapping.

The additional piece of software required is a mapping program. There are a number of very expensive mapping software available, but there is an almost free very capable mapping software, WebODM:
WebODM Drone Software - OpenDroneMap . You can download the software for free, but you need to be a computer nerd. They offer an easier download path, a $57 downloader that is simple to use and simplifies the downloading of the WebODM software. Simply click the Download button in link I provided for WebODM and it will take you to a number of downloading options.

I use WebODM to produce 2D&3D maps of my property over the yearly seasons and also do maps for my farming neighbors.

Regards,
Richard

Hi Detritalgeo,

Thank you for the great info! So the RTK will be a big help in mapping and accuracy of creating photogrammetry 3d models over the Evo II pro? Or does it just help a bit? Just wondering in comparison mapping and photogrammetry, RTK vs no RTK.
NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE

Viva.
para mapear o EVO 2 RTK é bastante bom, eu acho.
uso o app da autel e uso a missão obliq. e no meu software (3D Survey) funciona muito bem, melhor do que os voos MAVIC 2 pro.
a questão de voar em sitios cancelados a autel não em impedimentos, mas convem ser criterioso e equilibrado pois é uma grande responsabilidade colocar um drone no ar.
OMG, English please

Tiny airport, but they blocked out the entire large town, it's ridiculous. I've Traveled to other areas for projects just to find I cannot take off either. It's not worth the risk with DJI.
Do you have your Part 107? If you do, unlocking your Drone is fairly easy via the general settings and being logged into you DJI Account. If that airport does not have a Tower, it would require just one time of unlocking. If it does have a Tower controller then will need to unlock on each flight, but still easy to do.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Hi Detritalgeo,

ok, looks like this thread was derailed but to get back to it.

You can absolutely map with the non-RTK version but you will have to run alot more GCP's and CP's to measure and ensure positional accuracy.. That can take a lot of time and energy to setup and measure all those GCP's.

The RTK version, when properly configured with a good GNSS base station or VRS correction service will eliminate the need for some of the GCP's and will only need a few CP's to confirm accuracy. So it will be more efficient and the results will be better because the positional precision of the photo location is already 1-2cm in XYZ. \

If Mapping is a hoppy then you can get away with the regular model but if you want to make money then try the RTK. The Enterprise with the RTK module is a little overkill unless you need the other payloads. You will likely need a GNSS receiver to measure the GCP and CP locations. A lot of us use the emlid RS2 as it is cost-effective and proven but any survey-grade receiver will work if you have one already.

1) I was looking at the Evo II Pro V2 for mapping, but should I be considering the Evo II Enterprise, or the Evo II RTK instead? I went with the enterprise version for the bigger motors, carbon fiber arms, and slightly longer flight times. I only use the light beacon when doing night videos and photos. Don't have a use for the speaker, but may use the light to light up a scene for photos in the future combined with a second drone, EVO Lite+ or DJI Air 3S.

2) Do the Evo II Enterprise, or the Evo II RTK come in V2 like the Evo II Pro? Not sure of all the differences and v1 to v2. First generation enterprise are V2s without the lettering from what I was told.

3) What mapping software do you use for capture. I tried a Evo II Pro quite a while ago, the built in Autel mapping software seemed a little clunky, I had to restart the mission from the beginning twice, and sometimes it would jump spots and miss mapping. Maybe it's better now. There is now a V2 specific Autel Explorer app. I have been very happy with it so far.

4) Would you consider this better than say a DJI Phantom 4 RTK and why? You really can't beat 25 to 30 min flight time with curved turns. Our work P4Ps only get around 11 to 13 min per battery these days.

5) Would you recommend the Autel Smart Controller or regular with tablet? I opted for the regular controller and saved over $900 a year ago. In addition, I believe all smart controllers use one Android version and stick with it into perpetuity. The V3 SE, smaller, controller is on Android 7 from what I hear. My Xiaomi Note 10 Pro is on Android 13 and should keep going for a long time.

Good luck,

Gerry

If you need the accuracy and have budget, get an RTK model, otoh, use some GCPs for better accuracy. The explorer app mission capability is not bad, other than you cant save/export/import missions between different explorer apps on different devices. You can import a kml then add mission specifics however that is a PITA. Also for 3D run a criss cross grid (e.g. autel explorer close grid), as well as fly around and capture some oblique shots at different altitudes.
There are V2 versions, however at this point in time with RID around the corner consider the V3.
For the E2P and regular E2 (8K) I use autel explorer missions, make sure you have your mission camera settings correct before starting the mission including J or J+R, 3:2 or 4:3 for image size, exposure, WB, shutter, etc. Also watch your speed, have seen where I set speed to say 10mph for a flight at 200' AGL, then the mission starts and flys at 2-4mph, so adjustment needed. Multi battery missions has gotten better, just follow the prompts which can be confusing. Speaking of speed, lower = slower, go faster and you can miss capturing things.
I used to do imaging with DJI Phantom 4 Pro (non RTK) which worked good, however replaced the P4P with E2 and E2P. Also have a Mavic 2 Pro for when I need to fly a Litchi or DroneDeploy mission. Otherwise I use the E2/E2P for map/imaging which is a lot more portable, flexible, easy to setup and use than the P4P. Advantage of the P4P is/was its a bit larger so easier to maintain VLOS at longer distances, however larger aircraft = larger case, setup time, and takeoff/landing area. If I needed more accuracy then use GCP or get the RTK version, you might find some good deals on used P4 RTK, keep in mind with RID coming up, you would need to add a module which would not be an issue with the P4 as I used to carry a gopro with my P4P.
I prefer regular controller with phone/tablet for simple reasons of I can use my controller between my E2 & E2P or as a backup, likewise, I can move my phone, as well as tablet between my E2 & E2P controllers, as well as use those with my DJI aircraft. Have seen heard people having issues with smart controllers and various sw install/compat, however can also see where handy having everything integrated, I think its a personal preference.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d