Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Question - is there a difference in field of view between 6K and 4K shooting?

alex_markov

Reaction score
Question - is there a difference in the field of view between 6K and 4K shooting?
M2P has 2 modes of shooting 4K FOV and HQ and field of view is really different (really narrow for HQ, as it uses only the center of the matrix) and I can't find any info about EVO 2 Pro - please if someone have tried it to share this info ;)

Answer ;-) There is no FOV difference between 4K and 6K.
There is difference between 4K 30fps and 4K 60fps (or 25fps vs. 50 fps) - higher frame rate gives narrower FOV.

Reactions: alex_markov
Answer ;-) There is no FOV difference between 4K and 6K.
There is difference between 4K 30fps and 4K 60fps (or 25fps vs. 50 fps) - higher frame rate gives narrower FOV.
Thank You, Verry strange I can't figure out the connection between fps and FOV - do You have some figures? I know the standard is around 28 mm how it changes wit fps rising?

Thank You, Verry strange I can't figure out the connection between fps and FOV - do You have some figures? I know the standard is around 28 mm how it changes wit fps rising?
Alex, it is exactly the same in case of my Mavic Air when I compare 2,7K 25fps vs. 2,7K 50fps. IMHO higher frame rate picture is taken from smaller sensor area because is costs less CPU comparing to full sensor scan and resize, focal length stays the same but sensor area is different.
But this is my guess based on the observation - higher picture is a frame from 30fps and lower is taken from 60fps video:
1600802232929.png
If I'm not mistaken, then Evo 2 Pro 60fps FOV should be around 58 degrees as opposed to 82 degrees for 30fps.

Attachments

• 1600802002625.png
    1600802002625.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
I understand now why they did it - to scan faster exact area on a matrix instead of downsizing the whole one 60 times per second - But this makes me sad as I both the EVO 2 pro in order to film wyde 4K 60 fps ;) (something I missed in M2P HQ mode)
That's the problem now - You buy an expensive product and you never know all dependencies as this one - it's never mentioned in any Autel public statement ;)

This was an informative thread because I too was wondering why the field of view narrowed with the higher frame rate. Color Me disappointed as well but I suppose understandable.

Reactions: G_G
Another strange thing: the bit rate in 4K is higher at 24 and 48 fps (119-120 Mbps) and lower at 30 and 60 fps (98-107 Mbps). I got up to 126 Mbps at 6K/30. That sounds great except that all those Mb have to encode a lot more pixels in 6K. Therefore the Mb/pixel was lowest in 6K/30 and highest in 4K/24. I did not look at 1080p or lower.

Another strange thing: the bit rate in 4K is higher at 24 and 48 fps (119-120 Mbps) and lower at 30 and 60 fps (98-107 Mbps). I got up to 126 Mbps at 6K/30. That sounds great except that all those Mb have to encode a lot more pixels in 6K. Therefore the Mb/pixel was lowest in 6K/30 and highest in 4K/24. I did not look at 1080p or lower.
Today I've tried 24 fps - same bandwith ~100 Mb/s as 30 or even 60

Reactions: tvwxman
Today I've tried 24 fps - same bandwith ~100 Mb/s as 30 or even 60
Hmm. Something else must effect bit rate. I clearly got ~120 Mbps at 4K/24 and 4K/48 (H.264) and 6K/30 (H.264 and H.265). The microSD card may make a difference. I'm using Sandisk Extreme 128MB V30, XC1, U3, A2 (not sure what all that means :confused:).

Hmm. Something else must effect bit rate. I clearly got ~120 Mbps at 4K/24 and 4K/48 (H.264) and 6K/30 (H.264 and H.265). The microSD card may make a difference. I'm using Sandisk Extreme 128MB V30, XC1, U3, A2 (not sure what all that means :confused:).
I have tried only H.265!

So what scenarios for which fps?
30fps works well for most situations. If you want to do some faster panning (usually a bad idea) or are shooting fast moving action, than use 60fps. Also, if you want to produce slow-motion video, shoot at higher frame rates. For example, if shooting mostly in 4K, you can get away with 1080p at 120fps and slow to 30fps in post with some acceptable reduction in video resolution for a short sequence. 24fps is OK for vlogging and very slow moving camera of stationary objects (talking head or mountains, etc.). Some people feel that 24fps is more "cinematic", but I don't get it. It often looks jerky if there is any movement, camera or subject.

Reactions: parkgt
30fps works well for most situations. If you want to do some faster panning (usually a bad idea) or are shooting fast moving action, than use 60fps. Also, if you want to produce slow-motion video, shoot at higher frame rates. For example, if shooting mostly in 4K, you can get away with 1080p at 120fps and slow to 30fps in post with some acceptable reduction in video resolution for a short sequence. 24fps is OK for vlogging and very slow moving camera of stationary objects (talking head or mountains, etc.). Some people feel that 24fps is more "cinematic", but I don't get it. It often looks jerky if there is any movement, camera or subject.
Yes; thank you. I think I like 60fps. And HDR. But the HDR looks rather soft and pastel like. So I’m still experimenting.

Yes; thank you. I think I like 60fps. And HDR. But the HDR looks rather soft and pastel like. So I’m still experimenting.
HDR flattens all the colors and is supposed to give you more potential color range, just flattened for "transport". Your job is to reinflate the colors in your editor. This can be fun or drudgery, depending upon your frame of mind and skill. You can sometimes get by with just adding saturation and contrast. DaVinci Resolve (free version) has excellent color correction tools for a more complete solution. But, you will need time and effort to learn how to use them.

Reactions: Bigdz

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fdragon