Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Portable video editing

UfoPilot

Reaction score
I want to transfer and be able to edit while I’m on a trip. laptops that will edit video are several thousand dollars. I thought a Mac mini might work, but what would work for a monitor? I have a tripltek mounted on my controller. Can it be used as a monitor for a Mac mini? would like to keep things as compact as possible if i can. I’d love to here your ideas.

I want to transfer and be able to edit while I’m on a trip. laptops that will edit video are several thousand dollars. I thought a Mac mini might work, but what would work for a monitor? I have a tripltek mounted on my controller. Can it be used as a monitor for a Mac mini? would like to keep things as compact as possible if i can. I’d love to here your ideas.

The Tripltek is a tablet so if anything it would have an HDMI output port not an HDMI input port. Also, I don't know what editing software you use, or what level of editing you plan to do on the road but I can tell you that with any professional video editing software there's no way you are going to be able to use the software on a 7" screen. For the amount of editing that I typically do I have two 34" curved monitors and sometimes they still feel too small.

A laptop really is going to be your best mobile editing solution, but I disagree that you need an expensive one. A laptop with 16GB of RAM, NVME or SSD hard drive, and a half decent video card should be fine. The downside is you will need to create proxies for all of your footage before you can start editing it. There is also a feature in some Intel processors called Intel Quick Sync which could substantially improve editing capabilities: Intel® Quick Sync Video

The hard part with QS though is getting an actual desktop or laptop with the feature. I have yet to own a desktop or laptop with a CPU where it was offered so I can't speak to how much it helps with editing.

I think it would help as well to know how often you would need to edit on a trip, if it is professional/commercial work, what type of footage (just drone, drone + DSLR footage, drone + cinema camera footage, etc). If it is not for paying clients and you want to focus on quality I would just wait until I returned home to edit the footage. When I go on vacations I shoot plenty of footage and don't even think about editing it until I return home.

I mostly dont want to rely on micro so cards for storage and to do minor editing. Looking at new hardware is always a pain. I use davinci resolve on a windows machine at home. so far my iPad seems to be the best light weight option.

Can the Mac Mini handle 4K / 60 in DR?
im going to say yes. I don't work a lot in 4k/60 but mostly 6k/30 and my Mac mini is a bit sluggish unless I use proxy or cache the timeline or change it to 4k 0r 1080. for sure I don't have a problem with 4k playback and even 6k playback is pretty good. render in DR takes a lot of work especially when the videos get complicated and longer than 15 minutes. at times I have had to offload the project to MacBook and let it work overnight or for several days. my Mac mini 2018 is 3.6 w/32gb

Reactions: GeekOnTheWing
im going to say yes. I don't work a lot in 4k/60 but mostly 6k/30 and my Mac mini is a bit sluggish unless I use proxy or cache the timeline or change it to 4k 0r 1080. for sure I don't have a problem with 4k playback and even 6k playback is pretty good. render in DR takes a lot of work especially when the videos get complicated and longer than 15 minutes. at times I have had to offload the project to MacBook and let it work overnight or for several days. my Mac mini 2018 is 3.6 w/32gb
Okay, thanks.

Eventually I want to get away from Windows altogether because MS has become another data-mining company, and hunting down and disabling the spyware and telemetry after every update is getting to be a drag, I actually would have done switched already if it weren't for a Windows-only IDE that I like.

Okay, thanks.

Eventually I want to get away from Windows altogether because MS has become another data-mining company, and hunting down and disabling the spyware and telemetry after every update is getting to be a drag, I actually would have done switched already if it weren't for a Windows-only IDE that I like.
also forgot to mention, this is using dr17 and the studio version (not sure if there are additional features to handle higher resolutions). since I've locked in on dr, I had no problem paying for the upgrade software in fact, I got the speed editor for free. if you do any amount of editing, the speed editor keyboard is super awesome.

also forgot to mention, this is using dr17 and the studio version (not sure if there are additional features to handle higher resolutions). since I've locked in on dr, I had no problem paying for the upgrade software in fact, I got the speed editor for free. if you do any amount of editing, the speed editor keyboard is super awesome.

Yeah, I have the Speed Editor and DR Studio. I use maybe 10 percent of the Speed Editor's functionality, and it's still a huge improvement over mouse-and-keyboard.

Blackmagic is giving the whole industry acita right now. DR is just so good that unless you have some bizarre need, there's no reason to cough up Adobe subscription fees anymore. I also got an email from LWKS the other day offering me Lightworks for half price. DR is becoming the standard, as far as I can tell.

The funny thing is that Blackmagic is actually in the hardware business. The attention they put into Resolve (which started out as a color-correction tool) is impressive.

I'm itching to try the Linux version. I'm thinking about pulling the NVMe out of one of my Windows machines with reasonable (but not bleeding-edge) hardware, and seeing how the free version works before using my remaining DR license.

I would recommend getting instead a MacBook, whatever version you feel the need to buy. They are compact, easy to use, and there is a lot of free video editing software with no watermark. I have a MacBook, and I can tell you that I've done a lot of cool stuff with it, and it never let me down. I am quite happy with how he works. I have the Air version but would definitely try the pro one. As to the software accepted by MacBooks, check this article for detailed information on software with no watermark compatible with MacBooks. Top 18 Best FREE Video Editing Software with NO Watermark [2022] You can also find info there on specific aspects of the software.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain