Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

People giving middle finger to drone

davshev

Reaction score
Recently, I was flying over the Colorado River in Utah shooting some video. I saw several people 30-40 feet below on paddle boards. Later when I reviewed the video I could see one guy giving the middle finger to the drone. Has anyone had that experience? Usually, if I see anyone gesturing to the drone it's with a wave.

Yup.... my neighbor has flipped off my drones in the past. Sometimes when these things happen, its in jest.... other times someone really doesn't like drones.

I cooled my neighbor off by showing him the footage of that day and other days I have flown over the neighborhood and he was able to see that I wasn't backyard peeping and how little you can really see from the heights I fly.

Reactions: Drgnfli
I haven't, for one reason being that the Anafi is so quiet, they never see it.
Last year when I got my 107 cert, I told a friend about my lil accomplishment and she said, whenever I see one of those things, I flip it off. That's the last time I talked to her.

Reactions: davshev and Drgnfli
that has never happened to me. with the smart controller, you can see the subjects WHILE you are filming them. :p

I experience that in Florida at the beach especially - even from very high altitude. It tends to be the people that are paranoid about things or life in general

Reactions: Drgnfli
As far as people enjoying nature, I understand their displeasure with a drone buzzing around, and presumably, taking photos and videos of people who did not ask to participate. If I was floating down a river enjoying the peace and quite, I would not be too happy if a drone loitered around me.
I try to think of it like this, I should not place my drone anywhere that I would not be willing or feeling welcome to be. If someone is having a nice time, be respectful and give them a little space. Don't join their party without an invitation or at least a feeling of being welcomed.

Reactions: UasDriver
As far as people enjoying nature, I understand their displeasure with a drone buzzing around, and presumably, taking photos and videos of people who did not ask to participate. If I was floating down a river enjoying the peace and quite, I would not be too happy if a drone loitered around me.
I try to think of it like this, I should not place my drone anywhere that I would not be willing or feeling welcome to be. If someone is having a nice time, be respectful and give them a little space. Don't join their party without an invitation or at least a feeling of being welcomed.
Yes, I agree. However, I never "loiter" around people because, as you say, it would be annoyingly invasive of their space. In this case I was flying the drone overhead and kept going without stopping.

I was yelled at once by someone walking by while the drone was hovering at eye level for a control check. Now when I fly for myself it is in remote places with no one around.

The noise of a drone is kind of invasive. I completely understand people flipping off a drone. No harm, no foul, move on.

agreed. certain aspects of this video I would never do such as linger for too long or gawking or pointing my drone in a certain direction at ordinary people who are not moving no matter how close or high. not sure the intent of this flyer and his video posting perhaps I misunderstood.

I was yelled at once by someone walking by while the drone was hovering at eye level for a control check. Now when I fly for myself it is in remote places with no one around.
I try not to hover a eye level either way below or way above. even if someone were to walk by, I will move my drone up and away. not everyone understands the drone is mostly under control (and can easily hover) but could easily feel your drone would simply fly into them at any point. after all, how many reports have we had in the forum about drones that operate wildly completely on their own? /s

I try not to hover a eye level either way below or way above. even if someone were to walk by, I will move my drone up and away. not everyone understands the drone is mostly under control (and can easily hover) but could easily feel your drone would simply fly into them at any point. after all, how many reports have we had in the forum about drones that operate wildly completely on their own? /s
I know that now and don’t do a preflight check where someone can walk by. Usually people are too clueless or curious. I’m a landscape photographer so now fly mostly over wilderness where it’s doubtful someone would be around to see it launch or flyover.

One of the many reasons I wear my 'FAA Certified Pilot' vest whenever I fly. Amazing how much that vest has changed people's attitudes when they see it. It usually is a conversation starter, in a good way.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials