Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo II V1/V2 Thermal Incompatibility

TN Drone Services

Reaction score
Website
www.tennesseedroneservices.com
We recently purchased a V2 Dual 640T drone. The intention was to take the gimbal from the V2 and put it on one of our V1 bodies to use with the live deck. While the V1 6K gimbals work without issue on the V2, the 640T results in a grayish/blackish video feed. The controls show, the serials and model show, and the gimbal responds to commands, but there's no video showing.

@advexure has an article posted that states the gimbals are interchangeable-
"The good news: V1/V2 compatibility issues only affect radio-related components – airframe, remote controller, smart controller, and live deck. Everything else -- batteries, accessories, camera payloads, etc.-- is cross-compatible."
Ultimate Guide to Autel EVO II Models & Options

This portion in the article gave me the information I needed to make the purchase. However, given the above issues, I reached out to Autel support. They got back with me the same day and said that the 640T on the V2 body wasn't compatible. I challenged that and pointed them to the link I referenced in this post. The support guy said he'd do some digging and get back to me. About 3 hours later he sent an email and stated again it wasn't compatible.

So, either I'm missing something to get this to work and the post by Advexure is correct, or Autel support is correct and somehow the V2 640T Dual isn't compatible with the V1 body.

Anyone else have any experience connecting the 640T from a V2 body to a V1 body?

V1/V2 Cameras can be used on V1 or V2 EVO II aircraft. V3 cameras however are not compatible with V1 or V2 EVO II aircraft, and a V1/V2 camera is not compatible with a V3 aircraft.

@advexure Do you have any suggestions on getting the V2 640T Dual to work on the V1 body? Neither the 8k or thermal cameras work. Firmware was updated but it did not change the outcome.

Here is the response I received from Autel Support:

Thank you for contacting Autel Robotics.

Unfortunately, due to the hardware difference, the gimbals for EVO II V2 series are not capable to EVO II V1 series

If you have any further questions, feel free to reply directly to this email and I'd be happy to assist.

Best Regards,

Michael| After-sales Technical Support

I was going to do the same thing, since I fly my Evo II Pro V1 all the time, but the thermal rarely. My V1 Pro camera works on the V2 Enterprise just fine, but the V2 dual doesn't show on my screen of the V1. It shows the data, but not the video feed Something similar happened back when I bought the V1. it wouldn't show in my tablet or phone, but worked fine on my IPAD. Maybe it has something to do with the screen size or setup? I haven't had much time to play with it since I tried it last summer, but the answer may be in the resolution of the screen. I'll be interested to hear though, if you fix it. Autel used to advertise that you could switch V1 and V2 cameras, so I am not sure about that reply from Autel.

I was going to do the same thing, since I fly my Evo II Pro V1 all the time, but the thermal rarely. My V1 Pro camera works on the V2 Enterprise just fine, but the V2 dual doesn't show on my screen of the V1. It shows the data, but not the video feed Something similar happened back when I bought the V1. it wouldn't show in my tablet or phone, but worked fine on my IPAD. Maybe it has something to do with the screen size or setup? I haven't had much time to play with it since I tried it last summer, but the answer may be in the resolution of the screen. I'll be interested to hear though, if you fix it. Autel used to advertise that you could switch V1 and V2 cameras, so I am not sure about that reply from Autel.
I installed the app on an iPad Pro I had laying around and switched out the gimbals again. I was met with the same result- gray video screen. So, if resolution is it, the iPad Pro didn't solve it. Photos of what I see on the iPad

I did get another email response back from Autel after pointing them to this thread- specifically the statement made by @advexure This was his response:
Hope this email finds you well.

Unfortunately, I have double confirm with the technical engineer today that EVO II V2 and V1 have different hardware interfaces. Please look for other heads adapted to the EVO II V1 body for upgrading (the heads between V1 are common)
cleardot.gif

If you have any further questions, feel free to reply directly to this email and I'd be happy to assist.

Best Regards,

Michael| After-sales Technical Support

I bought the Enterprise V2 Dual, based on Autel's advertising that the cameras were compatible...and they did advertise that. I'm looking at a camera that sold in the classifieds where they list "Autel Robotics EVO II 640T Thermal and Visual Gimbal Camera V1/V2", so I'm not the only one that thought that.

I can absolutely confirm that the V1 6K camera does work with the V2 Enterprise drone. I installed it and used it on an hour-long job flight, recording video for a traffic study and I got good data. The V2 controller instantly recognized it and modified the software to accommodate. The fact that it worked makes me question their answer unless the V1 Dual and V1 6K work with the V2 craft and not vice versa, The other potential difference is the V1 has a standard controller and the V2 has the big nice one.

I bought the Enterprise V2 Dual, based on Autel's advertising that the cameras were compatible...and they did advertise that. I'm looking at a camera that sold in the classifieds where they list "Autel Robotics EVO II 640T Thermal and Visual Gimbal Camera V1/V2", so I'm not the only one that thought that.

I can absolutely confirm that the V1 6K camera does work with the V2 Enterprise drone. I used it on an hour-long job flight, recording video for a traffic study and I got good data. The fact that it worked makes me question their answer unless the V1 Dual and V1 6K work with the V2 craft and not vice versa,
I too can attest that the V1 6K gimbal works on the V2 body. But I have yet to get the 640T dual to work on the V2 body (non-enterprise).

We recently purchased a V2 Dual 640T drone. The intention was to take the gimbal from the V2 and put it on one of our V1 bodies to use with the live deck. While the V1 6K gimbals work without issue on the V2, the 640T results in a grayish/blackish video feed. The controls show, the serials and model show, and the gimbal responds to commands, but there's no video showing.

@advexure has an article posted that states the gimbals are interchangeable-
"The good news: V1/V2 compatibility issues only affect radio-related components – airframe, remote controller, smart controller, and live deck. Everything else -- batteries, accessories, camera payloads, etc.-- is cross-compatible."
Ultimate Guide to Autel EVO II Models & Options

This portion in the article gave me the information I needed to make the purchase. However, given the above issues, I reached out to Autel support. They got back with me the same day and said that the 640T on the V2 body wasn't compatible. I challenged that and pointed them to the link I referenced in this post. The support guy said he'd do some digging and get back to me. About 3 hours later he sent an email and stated again it wasn't compatible.

So, either I'm missing something to get this to work and the post by Advexure is correct, or Autel support is correct and somehow the V2 640T Dual isn't compatible with the V1 body.

Anyone else have any experience connecting the 640T from a V2 body to a V1 body?
I'm looking for a 640T dual gimbal and or parts to, willing to buy if camrea will not work for you.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo