Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Notice From Autel About Controllers and Compatibility in the Future

Maybe I should put my flame suit on before saying.....I come from using all iOS, so the Android set-up is new to me. It seems like the Android version of the app is less "featured" than the iOS versions...like Indoor Mode missing, to name one.

Which brings me to an unrelated question. Now that I have paired my aircraft to the S/C...I suppose I have to re-pair it to the standard controller if I need/want to use it?

I didn't notice any feature difference, but the video seems smoother and the screen more responsive on my iPhone 11 than it does on my OnePlus 7t -- which is remarkable considering that the 7t has a Snapdragon 855+ processor and twice the RAM of the iPhone 11. My guess is that all the Google spyware running on Android hogs the resources.

One of these days I may flash some flavor of AOSP on the 7t again, with microG, and see how Autel Explorer works on it.

Update: Regarding the quality issues on my Smart Controller from Randall Warnas and Autel Support

I received an email from support from with an RMA Form and a FedEx return label with the promise another Smart Controller will be sent as soon as they see shipping in progress; Randall was CC'ed on every communication. Needless to say I feel very well supported by both Randall & Autel Robotics' support team.

I also mentioned that I shared this experience on this forum; Randall was appreciative. He seems like an authentic leader that cares; I don't recall any other support experiences where I've had the CEO respond on a Sunday. Great stuff.
Glad you got your problem sorted out but I hope Randall isn't doing too much micro-management/PR/customer relations work when the bigger picture needs his attention urgently.

no way I'm going to send my sc back to autel unless it isn't working as designed meaning I cannot fly my drone with it. not going to risk getting one back that is worse, refurb, bad range, disconnects, etc. not getting one back for weeks/months. the next time I send my sc back to autel will be to exchange it for a v2 to fly my evo3. :)

Glad you got your problem sorted out but I hope Randall isn't doing too much micro-management/PR/customer relations work when the bigger picture needs his attention urgently.
Thank you; I am too.

As an Exec, and I am, (as you state) you need to carefully prioritize and have your head on a swivel (get a feel for what you're responsible for is a big part of the job - I have crazy stories that you'd find hard to believe are not fiction).

Part of that does involve being in touch with the market and I did include Randall as a CC on my email to support; I started communicating with Randall a while ago when the chip V1/V2 issue came to light and I do leverage relationships. He added others to the chain which shows delegation and setting expectations. I don't think there's any micromanagement going on here; I can smell that "management style" from a distance, and from your comment, I suspect we both find it toxic to an organization's ability to grow.

I worked for a year straight to own it and the payoff was the sale of my company and a lot of goodness for people & customers I care about.

I think Randall is just owning it as CEO.

Remarkable weekend response from Randall Warnas, Autel Robotics' CEO, to a Smart Controller Support email he was CC'ed on: (This should raise people's comfort level as to the intent to support the customer base.)

I have an interesting thing to share.

My Smart Controller was delivered with what I thought were three minor defects, now four:
  1. scratch in the rubber bezel on lower right
  2. abrasion on the rubber bezel on the upper left
  3. the screen protector was not adhering to the screen
  4. there are no connection points for the chest harness on the front bracket; just a place for accepting screws.
    1. I thought it was awkward when I connected the chest harness, watched Ken's (Original DoBo's) video comparing DJI and Autel's smart controllers and noticed it had these connection points mine lacked.
This morning I sent an email with photos to support with a CC to Randall for the first three points; yesterday was my Daughter's wedding (it was thankfully better than the smart controller for me, certainly not you :D ...).

I got a very understanding response back from Randall assuring me support will take care of this:
View attachment 10911

So if anyone is concerned about whether Randall is all words (I've read this sentiment on the forum a few times and understand the concerns) or is backing up his intent with actions, here you go. While no company or product launch is perfect, I found this is very comforting to me and I felt compelled to share. This is the way to run a business.
My only complaint...and it's a very small thing...is that my screen protector is ever so slightly askew that there's a small crescent moon shaped spot at the very bottom center that's lifting. I may be able to remedy if I can get behind and lift it...we'll see. Admittedly a very minor thing that does not hurt it's function at all.

Slightly off topic...I tried it today in bright sunlight. Even with sunglasses I could use the S/C and see the screen just fine. However, I'd rather have some +1 readers for the screen. My wife ordered me a set of bifocal, reader sunglasses. they look like regular sunglasses with the +1 part only at the bottom. (Like my range glasses that have the +1 at the top for seeing sights...)

Reactions: mshmovie
My only complaint...and it's a very small thing...is that my screen protector is ever so slightly askew that there's a small crescent moon shaped spot at the very bottom center that's lifting. I may be able to remedy if I can get behind and lift it...we'll see. Admittedly a very minor thing that does not hurt it's function at all.

Slightly off topic...I tried it today in bright sunlight. Even with sunglasses I could use the S/C and see the screen just fine. However, I'd rather have some +1 readers for the screen. My wife ordered me a set of bifocal, reader sunglasses. they look like regular sunglasses with the +1 part only at the bottom. (Like my range glasses that have the +1 at the top for seeing sights...)
You may want to snap a photo of the screen protector issue and send it to [email protected] (you can CC [email protected] if you'd like, but I'd hold that in reserve if support doesn't respond to your liking). I think it would be reasonable to request a new screen protector so you can fix it without risking making your current screen protector worse (yes, I've done that more than once - I don't enjoy applying screen protectors).

Glad the Smart Controller is working for you in bright sun (my DJI Smart controller with half the NITs has been fine for me, so the Autel SC should be able to do great). Bifocal readers sounds handy - mine are prescription; too many years in front of a CRT (or perhaps just too many years)...

You may want to snap a photo of the screen protector issue and send it to [email protected] (you can CC [email protected] if you'd like, but I'd hold that in reserve if support doesn't respond to your liking). I think it would be reasonable to request a new screen protector so you can fix it without risking making your current screen protector worse (yes, I've done that more than once - I don't enjoy applying screen protectors).

Glad the Smart Controller is working for you in bright sun (my DJI Smart controller with half the NITs has been fine for me, so the Autel SC should be able to do great). Bifocal readers sounds handy - mine are prescription; too many years in front of a CRT (or perhaps just too many years)...
Good idea...will give that a try...now to figure a way to make it fit the rugged case...

Reactions: mshmovie
Good idea...will give that a try...now to figure a way to make it fit the rugged case...
Please update the thread as you work on getting it into the rugged case.

I haven't tried to fit it in my rugged case yet. Now that it's in transit for RMA/replacement, it'll likely be at least until this weekend until I can try; high class, first world problem I'm honored to have.

Reactions: edgardcafe
Update: Regarding the quality issues on my Smart Controller from Randall Warnas and Autel Support

I received an email from support from with an RMA Form and a FedEx return label with the promise another Smart Controller will be sent as soon as they see shipping in progress; Randall was CC'ed on every communication. Needless to say I feel very well supported by both Randall & Autel Robotics' support team.

I also mentioned that I shared this experience on this forum; Randall was appreciative. He seems like an authentic leader that cares; I don't recall any other support experiences where I've had the CEO respond on a Sunday. Great stuff.
Long live Randall! From what I understood, Randall is filling in the shoes for the owner's son who is being groomed to eventually take over as CEO himself. Hopefully, that happens later, rather than sooner!

Please update the thread as you work on getting it into the rugged case.

I haven't tried to fit it in my rugged case yet. Now that it's in transit for RMA/replacement, it'll likely be at least until this weekend until I can try; high class, first world problem I'm honored to have.
I looked at this a bit since my last post. In my case, it looks like the "bottom" foam is very thin...and not deep enough to allow the rear handle to drop into.

I also measured the location for the joysticks, and I believe small holes can be drilled about 1/2" into the bottom of the upper layer for the joysticks to fit into when the upper layer is placed. Providing...the handle is removed.

I haven't figured a way to hinge that, but I'm also not sure how often I'd use the handle. Perhaps I can find a pair of thumbscrews that could replace the factory Allen head bolts that retain the handle. That way, if you decide you need the handle...it'll be quick to put it on. I'll have to pull the handle and check the thread pitch...

Reactions: G_G and mshmovie
Long live Randall! From what I understood, Randall is filling in the shoes for the owner's son who is being groomed to eventually take over as CEO himself. Hopefully, that happens later, rather than sooner!
Agreed based on experience to date with Randall and having seen an owner's son become CEO of a company I led tech for; a one hand clapping experience - so happy.

Agreed based on experience to date with Randall and having seen an owner's son become CEO of a company I led tech for; a one hand clapping experience - so happy.
I believe Randall sincerely has the best of intentions, but, unfortunately, he has no way to guarantee he will be around in the future to fulfill all the promises he is making. He is not the owner, just the current place keeper for the owner's equally youthful son, who likely has ideas of his own that may be very different. We already know that transition is coming. It was part of Randall's job description: groom my son to take over.

I believe Randall sincerely has the best of intentions, but, unfortunately, he has no way to guarantee he will be around in the future to fulfill all the promises he is making…
For me, and the silent majority who haven't seen or heard his promises, Randall's intentions are no more than aspirations until the chip issue and a detailed remedy are addressed in plain view on the Autel website (and its resellers' websites). Only then do his aspirations become company policy; and only then, imho, will the current product range be sold honestly and fairly to one and all.

For me, and the silent majority who haven't seen or heard his promises, Randall's intentions are no more than aspirations until the chip issue and a detailed remedy are addressed in plain view on the Autel website (and its resellers' websites). Only then do his aspirations become company policy; and only then, imho, will the current product range be sold honestly and fairly to one and all.
Frankly, many of the promises he is making are as vague as, "we'll take care of you" without any clarification of exactly what that means! Everyone reads into it what they want to hear, but he hasn't committed to doing anything with that verbal promise, which is worth the paper it is written on.

Reactions: YuKay
Frankly, many of the promises he is making are as vague as, "we'll take care of you" without any clarification of exactly what that means! Everyone reads into it what they want to hear, but he hasn't committed to doing anything with that verbal promise, which is worth the paper it is written on.
In fairness, he did say that an upgrade to the V2 SC would be "on him" for as long as he's CEO, for anyone who bought the V1 and then subsequently bought a V2 drone. That's fairly specific.

But as you point out, it's also just a promise from Randall, who may be quite sincere and have every intention of keeping his word: but until it's actually on Autel's site, it's not company policy.

And then there's this thing about the owner's kid eventually taking over. That can be good or bad. Sometimes a new generation breathes new life into a company, and sometimes they run it into the ground. That the current owner hired someone to get things squared away before handing over the helm to the son is a positive sign; but in the end, it's still a crap shoot.

My hopes are admittedly too high, however. I keep hoping for some company to come along and disrupt the paradigm built on planned obsolescence and industry protectionism that has become the de facto standard of the technology world. My jaded opinion and pessimistic outlook about the tech industry in general are high hurdles for any company or CEO to clear.

In fairness, he did say that an upgrade to the V2 SC would be "on him" for as long as he's CEO, for anyone who bought the V1 and then subsequently bought a V2 drone. That's fairly specific.

But as you point out, it's also just a promise from Randall, who may be quite sincere and have every intention of keeping his word: but until it's actually on Autel's site, it's not company policy.

And then there's this thing about the owner's kid eventually taking over. That can be good or bad. Sometimes a new generation breathes new life into a company, and sometimes they run it into the ground. That the current owner hired someone to get things squared away before handing over the helm to the son is a positive sign; but in the end, it's still a crap shoot.

My hopes are admittedly too high, however. I keep hoping for some company to come along and disrupt the paradigm built on planned obsolescence and industry protectionism that has become the de facto standard of the technology world. My jaded opinion and pessimistic outlook about the tech industry in general are high hurdles for any company or CEO to clear.
The problem with the statement, that an upgrade to the V2 SC would be "on him" if one wanted to purchase a V2 aircraft any time in the future is that it doesn't solve the problem. If one still owns any V1 EVO 2, one still also needs the original V1 SC, or has to give up SC capability on all V1 EVO 2's in the fleet. Would they upgrade the chipset on the V1 SC and all other V1 aircraft one owns, at the same time, assuming that was even possible? Would Randall assume all those costs, including shipping to and from, if one just bought a V2 EVO 2? Lots of unanswered questions. What if a V1 EVO 2 is beyond repair from a warranty crash and requires replacement with a V2 EVO 2? Will that trigger the "on him" clause of a free upgrade to a V2 SC without a new V2 EVO 2 purchase? Hmmm...

Last edited:

The SC upgrade promise needs to be engraved into company policy but that's only one of the chip issues that new customers could have to deal with. Anyone buying a V1 drone or Live Deck now who may be deferring the purchase of a SC until he can afford it, could get a nasty shock within weeks or months, by when only the V2 SC will be offered and it won't be compatible with his recent purchases. *All* new customers need to be made aware of that before buying any Autel product today.

In essence, all current products are End of Life - a fact known to Autel, its resellers and to a select few followers and media - and it's just not right if new customers are kept in the dark about that. The reasons for the chip change are understandable and Autel should not suffer any corporate damage from it - unless they try to hide it. Hiding it could easily lead to class actions.

The SC upgrade promise needs to be engraved into company policy but that's only one of the chip issues that new customers could have to deal with. Anyone buying a V1 drone or Live Deck now who may be deferring the purchase of a SC until he can afford it, could get a nasty shock within weeks or months, by when only the V2 SC will be offered and it won't be compatible with his recent purchases. *All* new customers need to be made aware of that before buying any Autel product today.

In essence, all current products are End of Life - a fact known to Autel, its resellers and to a select few followers and media - and it's just not right if new customers are kept in the dark about that. The reasons for the chip change are understandable and Autel should not suffer any corporate damage from it - unless they try to hide it. Hiding it could easily lead to class actions.
I still wonder if a retrofit might be the easiest solution all around. Swap out the board, slap a label with the new FCC registration number over the old one, and be done with it. I looked at the FCC's teardown pictures and it doesn't look like it would be that hard a job.

Reactions: PingSpike
Internal photos of Autel Smart Controller

Attachments

• 213229520_4112117982198404_7085253435762613642_n.jpg
    213229520_4112117982198404_7085253435762613642_n.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 213271227_4112117442198458_1572668720697535982_n.jpg
    213271227_4112117442198458_1572668720697535982_n.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 213583295_4112117715531764_2127629152515255939_n.jpg
    213583295_4112117715531764_2127629152515255939_n.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 214202850_4112118235531712_3094489172570570585_n.jpg
    214202850_4112118235531712_3094489172570570585_n.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 214465559_4112118055531730_5772115643642049194_n.jpg
    214465559_4112118055531730_5772115643642049194_n.jpg
    437.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 214737547_4112117822198420_3572348158465906256_n.jpg
    214737547_4112117822198420_3572348158465906256_n.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 215113047_4112117545531781_1214721854562279393_n.jpg
    215113047_4112117545531781_1214721854562279393_n.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 215304672_4112117462198456_1468396948212741567_n.jpg
    215304672_4112117462198456_1468396948212741567_n.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 215752772_4112117892198413_4625235281612245962_n.jpg
    215752772_4112117892198413_4625235281612245962_n.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 18
I still wonder if a retrofit might be the easiest solution all around. Swap out the board, slap a label with the new FCC registration number over the old one, and be done with it. I looked at the FCC's teardown pictures and it doesn't look like it would be that hard a job.
it looks like the board can be swapped out easy

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juan.t