Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Nagging question!

WildDoktor

Reaction score
How do you remember which part of which videos you want to use for your "clips"?

ATVIS posted a video here, and it made me realize I had that question nagging at me and I didn't even know it!

For example, I'll take a single video in a single session. Let's say the video ends up being 15 minutes long. By the time I get it to my PC, I think "Now I have to watch this whole thing just to pick out 1 minute worth of the "good" stuff!".

ATVIS's video was obviously a compilation of a few different locations, at a few different times, but turned out great.

SO: Do you guys have a method of "remembering"? Or do you just spend time digging thru each video, looking for gold?

Reactions: ATVIS
For me I usually only work with one video at a time. When I have it loaded in my video editor I will move the slider at a fast speed and stopping where I think I should split it. I then speed along again till I get to a spot I want and split it again. Deleting the unwanted part and filling the gap. I try to keep my videos between 2-5 minutes in length. They say any longer then 5 minutes you are putting your audience to sleep.
Now finding the right music can be a challenge and will most likely dictate how long my video is. So if the closest song length is say 2 minutes and 50 seconds and my finished video is 3 minutes long I will edit the video again to match the song length and they both end at the same time.
Editing video for me is easy, its finding the right music to fit the video. :)

Editing video for me is easy, its finding the right music to fit the video. :)

Yeah...music is not easy!! I've decided that if I want music in a video, I'm going to find the right music *first*, and then edit the video to match it. Match the clip transitions with a downbeat (or upbeat), fade in / out to the music, etc.

Reactions: Wrsdas
I take the long route and sit through every minute of video for the snippets I want to use. You never know when an "oops" moment may turn into something interesting and usable...

Regarding music selection, I never know in advance what I intend to use. I normally get inspiration from the footage I take and then find something befitting the shots.

Long, yes. Boring, not at all, IMO. :)

Reactions: Wrsdas
Thank you very much for the kind words WildDoktor. I watch all of my footage in its entirety and quickly timeline a video snippet when I spot something I like. I keep doing that until I have gone through all my footage and then I will rearrange the videos on my timeline and often duplicate clips and cut them up to get more interest out of single shot. For example I'll cut a single pullback shot into two clips so it changes just as a noise goes off in the soundtrack like a drum or something. It takes a bit of practice but if you watch music videos you will get the idea. Just start tapping to a beat and pay attention to the video edits and scene changes as it follows the beat. Also look at the soundtrack waveform when editing, it will help visualize when song changes occur and when you should edit your scene to the next shot.

Thanks for the tips guys!

I went for a ride yesterday with this rattling around in my head, and decided to yell loudly a few seconds after something "cool" happened on the ride. Figured I could see a peak in the waveform at each yell. So I thru the entire 45 minute clip into windows movie maker and looked for the spikes, and it worked! :) It was much easier to clip up the video that way. I added some subtitles and posted it on my youtube channel. No music, as the motor and the wind are music enough for my tastes. Check it out if you're interested in motorcycles at all. :) (It's only 1080p, as that's the highest my helmet cam records in.)

Not quite sure how that technique would translate into the XSP as it has no sound. I always screen record my Shield K1, so I suppose I could yell, or cough, or something like that. Oh darn, guess I'll have to experiment! I'm ok with that.

Reactions: hotsun

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d