Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Micro vibrations on video | Gimbal issue

Dan89

Reaction score
Hi to all guys!

Have a problem with my EVO II 8K. The drone's gimbal is experiencing micro vibrations/shaking during the flights. It's noticeable even from the smartphone's screen. The problem occurs intermittently. In this regard, up to 30-45% of the filmed video can be sent to the trash. The weather conditions were different, but most often perfect, no more than 4-8 kilometers per hour. It looks like there are no problems with vibration dampers / rubber bands / gaskets - everything is OK, bolts are tightened, propellers are OK. Vibrations may disappear when the angle of the gimbal is changed, but after a while they reappear. Frankly, I'm very upset with the build quality, last time some small cracks appeared on the shell, then vibrations in the video. I use it very carefully.

Software was updated to the latest V 2.5.0. Gimbal was immediately calibrated. The problem still exists.

P.S.
By the way, the Autel's support department did not respond after my second letter about cracks in the shell :mad:

Attachments

• IMG_20201011_211458.jpg
    IMG_20201011_211458.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20201011_211822.jpg
    IMG_20201011_211822.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 19
Hi. At the first glance it looks like "self-exciting" issue but that would be fixed by calibration. So it might be one of motors struggling. What if you try it on desk or move the drone in your hand (I mean no flight, just power on), can you hear any noise from the gimbal? Is shaking visible on hand-held video as well?
I read on this form that calling Autel support is better than sending e-mails.

Reactions: Dan89
Hi. At the first glance it looks like "self-exciting" issue but that would be fixed by calibration. So it might be one of motors struggling. What if you try it on desk or move the drone in your hand (I mean no flight, just power on), can you hear any noise from the gimbal? Is shaking visible on hand-held video as well?
I read on this form that calling Autel support is better than sending e-mails.

I did what you'd recommended. No noise from gimbal.

The thing is that vibrations exist even when drone doesn't move in air. I've made a second gimbal calibration, the same sh*t.

Moreover, drone seems stabilized well, I don't see any problems with motors.

Last edited:
I mean there might be some issue with one of gimbal motors, like bearing or magnet or wiring problem. If there is shaking even with drone on the ground propellers not moving, then vibration dampening issue should be excluded. It might be gimbal motor problem or something preventing smooth motion.
If you power off the drone and very gently try to rotate camera with your hand in various axes then can you feel that rotation is smooth? However with such small motors it may be difficult to feel even if there is some problem.
You'd better call Autel's support.

I have found that when you have even one prop out of balance, this can cause micro vibrations that translate to the gimbal. Check your props. Switch the front and back and see if that makes any difference at all. Check your props for any deep nics or damage. Rule out the props contributing to the issue.

Reactions: Dan89 and drrags
I have found that when you have even one prop out of balance, this can cause micro vibrations that translate to the gimbal. Check your props. Switch the front and back and see if that makes any difference at all. Check your props for any deep nics or damage. Rule out the props contributing to the issue.
Thanks for advice. Today I've changed all the propellers. The problem still exists. I don't understand, why I have to spend money on fixing the problem (shipping cost as minimum).

I'd been thinking on purchasing the Autel II 6K kit before I bought the 8K version. As it turns out I should have got the 6K. The costs are not worth it. Upset

I have dealt with Autel support, and yes, they may be a little slow - due to Covid and the increased sales of their drones. They will take care of you, I am confident of it. At least you know that it isn't the props causing this...It could be firmware too...maybe try downgrading one version to see if that fixes the issues??? Worth a shot. You can always upgrade back. After doing that...I would figure something is definitely wrong, hardware wise. Good luck!!

Since calibration and dampening issues were excluded, IMHO it looks like hardware problem - maybe one of gimbal motors is not ok or there is something obstructing smooth rotation. Call to support highly recommended...

Since calibration and dampening issues were excluded, IMHO it looks like hardware problem - maybe one of gimbal motors is not ok or there is something obstructing smooth rotation. Call to support highly recommended...
Yep, today updated to the latest beta version.

Vibrations began to appear less often, and in general it became better, HOWEVER the problem still exists at an angle of 90 degrees and +- 25-45.

Feels like the gimble has become more stringy to control, probably it's really a matter of firmware. I don't know for sure, I'm still waiting for a response from the support.

I have tried everything. Video is to the point of not wanting to present it to anyone...too herky jerky. Always have been careful with the unit as well. I get the gimbal bobbing around from just "sitting there" too. Annoying. Using latest of everything as of today...tried all the calibrations switching out props...everything.

I have tried everything. Video is to the point of not wanting to present it to anyone...too herky jerky. Always have been careful with the unit as well. I get the gimbal bobbing around from just "sitting there" too. Annoying. Using latest of everything as of today...tried all the calibrations switching out props...everything.
Sounds like you need to CALL Autel unfortunately.

Understand you, the same thing. Share the video.

The worst part is that I have to send the drone for inspection at my own expense, including customs duties. It just doesn't make sense, it's almost half the price of a new drone.

The support department is in charge, but why should I pay for a defect in their product? I used it very carefully.

Completely upset by the circumstance :mad:

Humor me. Turn boat mode on and try recording a video. See how it turns out.

Bot much difference in "Boat Mode" either. Still virtually unusable video. May still need to process at youtube a bit:

What if you follow the manual to dismount the gimbal from your drone? Maybe you will spot some problem once you keep it in hand.

Reactions: donsteitz
Understand you, the same thing. Share the video.

The worst part is that I have to send the drone for inspection at my own expense, including customs duties. It just doesn't make sense, it's almost half the price of a new drone.

The support department is in charge, but why should I pay for a defect in their product? I used it very carefully.

Completely upset by the circumstance :mad:
From what you say it sounds like you're paying for shipping. Not the repair of a defect.

What if you follow the manual to dismount the gimbal from your drone? Maybe you will spot some problem once you keep it in hand.
Good call...That seemed to have helped a lil it seems...reduces the wobble...by disconnecting and reattaching the gimbal. MIne could have been a "Monday Drone"...New out of the box mine did come in the with the "6K" faceplate upside down.

Reactions: Ansia
I did some further work for it and reckon this much...for some reason when I remove the "upward tilt" option.....it calibrates better....also went thru several cycles of calibrating everything...IMU, Compass, and Gimbal....did all 3 until the gimbal was virtually stationary while sitting still...and now I can get some useable footage...still not as tight and smooth as I figure it should be...but at least it is usable now. Basically this is a finicky unit.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain