Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Maybe the best 7" now 8" tablet for drone flying? TRIPLTEK

the phone specs reflects brightness peak , any phone will maintain the higher brightness cause the battery will die in 5 minutes.

Reactions: PingSpike
I have found from time to time that gsmarena.com doesn't always have accurate information.

On another note, I have found that the brightest Samsung phone has been the Note 8, with 1,200 nits.
very well might be, but at least they do some testing and compere devices. If You find better source please share.

You are talking about Peak brightness. No phone is able to sustain peak brightness for long (5 minutes) because the battery will die. These two videos show the Tablet and a One Plus 7 Pro that on specks has 800 nits

Thank you!

I've been saying forever than these Samsung phones can't sustain a high level of brightness for any decent period of time and the quoted specs are pointless.

It always falls on deaf ears :rolleyes:

Reactions: Seated_Perspectives
Thank you!

I've been saying forever than these Samsung phones can't sustain a high level of brightness for any decent period of time and the quoted specs are pointless.

It always falls on deaf ears :rolleyes:
This tablet next to my Galaxy S20 is like night and day for brightness in daylight, and even more so when glare comes into play. If I turn this tablets screen brightness all the way down its just about to the true level of my S20 at max.

Just want to add this here for anyone who gets it and is having Autel App issues, I dont think its play protect causing the issue, I tried with it on and off....its the tablets WIFI, once you turn off WIFI or go airplane mode the app becomes butter, turn on the WIFI and its a slide show and will eventually crash the app. I still get pico errors with protect turned on or off but as long as wifi is turned off all is fine. I honestly dont think it's an autel app issue but a deeper tablet issue baked into the ROM so it's probably here to stay with this device. This device is not play protect or even approved by Google anyway if you look under the Google play settings so I dont think play protect actually works reguardless. If you reset it your gonna need to re register the hardware ID with Google, its easy peezy, no big deal, instructions are in the tablets manual.

So it appears google maps lags out the autel app, change it to amaps and it's fine, but I still fly in airplane mode. Did see some lag a few times though when I was very far away, far more than with a DJI bird and the djigo or djifly app.

The pico error is related to Google text to speech, if you disable voice overs it goes away, no more pico error when connecting.

UPDATE

I've been working with tripleteks engineering department, pinned down pretty much all the autel issues. Pico error, wont see again, firmware update coming. The lag problem is real, its caused because the autel app is telling the controller to give this particular device all the juice it can, so its draining the controller so fast and so hard there isn't enough power left to run the transmitter when you get about 1600 feet out, the result is major lag. The fix until autel updates their app correctly is to modify a cable by adding a 200ohm resistor to the negative wire, this way the controller doesn't draw any power but data transmission is preserved. Theres a few videos on youtube about modifying a cable to save power with an autel devicd. The lag is gone with this fix and your controller will last far longer.

The autel app let's the controller feed this device so much power it can't run its own transmitter, one flight will use half the battery capacity of the controller without this cable. Autel can easily implement a software fix in the app to remedy this.

Last edited:
What this guy is talking about the Galaxy Note 8 is call peak brightness and it last seconds because the battery can not support the drainage rate.

Last edited:
Although I do have a Samsung Note 8 dedicated for flying, and it does stay extremely bright in bright sun, when set in auto mode. I have not seen it dim, but have not tested with a meter like the videos above, for a period of time to test the theory that they dim over "seconds" when in bright sun on max brightness. It could very well be the case, but I have not seen that happen on any Samsung phone I own...S8+, Note 8 and a S9+ daily driver.
I don't understand the trend to compare a phone to a tablet. Two very different things. Two very different price points, BUT...you can get a refurbished Note 8 for not that much money. They make GREAT dedicated flying devices...highly recommended....but they ARE NOT A TABLET and while having an outstanding screen, a tablet is bigger and the screen is hella bright. I ordered a tablet, have not received it yet.

I would really like to see a Note 8 tested with the above meter with auto brightness in direct sunlight for a period of time to see if in actual testing it can't hold the brightness. This way we will all know for sure!

Reactions: Third Eye View
So it appears google maps lags out the autel app, change it to amaps and it's fine, but I still fly in airplane mode. Did see some lag a few times though when I was very far away, far more than with a DJI bird and the djigo or djifly app.

The pico error is related to Google text to speech, if you disable voice overs it goes away, no more pico error when connecting.

UPDATE

I've been working with tripleteks engineering department, pinned down pretty much all the autel issues. Pico error, wont see again, firmware update coming. The lag problem is real, its caused because the autel app is telling the controller to give this particular device all the juice it can, so its draining the controller so fast and so hard there isn't enough power left to run the transmitter when you get about 1600 feet out, the result is major lag. The fix until autel updates their app correctly is to modify a cable by adding a 200ohm resistor to the negative wire, this way the controller doesn't draw any power but data transmission is preserved. Theres a few videos on youtube about modifying a cable to save power with an autel devicd. The lag is gone with this fix and your controller will last far longer.

The autel app let's the controller feed this device so much power it can't run its own transmitter, one flight will use half the battery capacity of the controller without this cable. Autel can easily implement a software fix in the app to remedy this.
This is great testing! I know there is an app that will turn off charging, but the tablet may need to be rooted. I need to check this. Will modify this post when I find out. *yep you need a rooted device to use this app*

From doing some reading on USB cable, you can cut the + cable and now the cable becomes a data only cable, not able to allow charging from any connected device. Do not cut the negative cable. I have loads of USB cables so will do this when the tablet comes.

Last edited:
This is great testing! I know there is an app that will turn off charging, but the tablet may need to be rooted. I need to check this. Will modify this post when I find out. *yep you need a rooted device to use this app*

From doing some reading on USB cable, you can cut the + cable and now the cable becomes a data only cable, not able to allow charging from any connected device. Do not cut the negative cable. I have loads of USB cables so will do this when the tablet comes.
What is the APP used to turn off charging on a routing device?, You can not cut the red wire, it is need it to transmit the signal data to the other device. They are selling a cable on their website for that matter Accesories | TRIPLTEK

You will need to look for this one, called "disable usb charging" I had it on one of my rooted phones. I don't think it was in the play store where I found it.

My on order tablet is finally shipping. Will see when it comes in. Anyone want to make a cable for me?? Don't really feel like paying $40 for a stinking cable from TRIPLTEK.

*edit* Nevermind. I contacted TRIPLTEK and they were getting ready to ship my tablet and I asked about the cable....they gave me a discount for it and were able to add it to the order. So, if you want one, contact them and see what happens!

Last edited:
My on order tablet is finally shipping. Will see when it comes in. Anyone want to make a cable for me?? Don't really feel like paying $40 for a stinking cable from TRIPLTEK.
You can use down to a 20ohm resistor and it will work fine. Its really easy, just adding it inline with the blackwire like that video above. I just used a USBA to USBC cable that I had a few of laying around and a resistor from an old junk transmitter.

You can use down to a 20ohm resistor and it will work fine. Its really easy, just adding it inline with the blackwire like that video above. I just used a USBA to USBC cable that I had a few of laying around and a resistor from an old junk transmitter.
Bro - how are you liking the tablet? As good as you expected? Too heavy? Just right? Give us the lowdown....Since you have had it for a while. Worth the bucks?? What would you have liked to see different on it? Just having a bright screen may not be enough for some users...you and me, living where we do...it's a must...If you can give more details on the use of this, that would be great! I plan on using it for all my drones - DJI, Autel, Parrot etc. It would have been excellent if they had a video out...then people could use it for FPV if they so desired. Just waiting for mines....

*note* yah, I could have made a cable myself...just have to look through my bins of parts to find a resistor...lazy and TRIPLTEK told me they could add a cable at the last minute...(I thought they had shipped the tablet already!) I think I will make one anyway, just to have a spare.

Definitely with the price, solid purchase all around, multi use device, not just a screen. Screen is effortlessly readable in direct sunlight, no worry there, night and day next to my Samsung s20 or this other 10" tablet I often used, battery power will never be a worry, full work days and then some. Its rugged like a tank, I have no fear for dropping it on rough unforgiving lava landscapes. Full cell phone capabilities, just pop a sim card in it. Flew all the DJI apps and Litchi, everything's working there. Pretty much all the Autel issues ironed out too. Only thing I'd like to see, fullHD screen; but I do realize that's a trade off for battery life vrs pixel count, there's a reason they went 720p.

I'm more impressed and assured by how much and how vigorously they are working on the software aspect behind the scenes, gives me plenty hope for software support and updates as time passes or should any software issue arise.

Excellent! Thank you for taking the time for that write up. You got me motivated to find those pesky resistors I have somewhere....went through 2 bins and found some....of course this is AFTER buying the cable from TRIPLTEK...oh well....only $$.....LOL!

Yes, there is a fix for the explorer app, simply a matter of watching the 2nd video. Autel is working on it...it's not a problem with the monitor, has to do with Google security or something. Easy fix.
I went ahead and ordered one. I did have a Crystal Sky 5" that I had rooted and installed the explorer app on, and while it worked fine, it is old tech, old android and even though I rooted it....it is DJI tech, and still has limitations that I dislike. I will not be giving DJI anymore of my hard earned money anymore. They are an evil company, who happen to make excellent, locked down drones. (ok, enough of that)
I also have a Samsung Note 8 that I use, (bought it refurbished from Amazon....phone is perfect condition, way cheaper than buying a new one) dedicated to drone use, and that one has one of the brightest phone screens, if not the brightest. It works great too, even in direct sun....but I will give this a go and once it comes in will report back here. I will NOT be mounting it with the built in holder on the evo controller, it would make it far too front heavy to be comfortable in use, especially since I have the Alientech booster on there too. The 3d printed mount I have connects to the RC handles, has a ball joint, so you can basically use any ball joint tablet holder. Will post pictures once I get it. These tablets are back ordered, since someone there figured out that they would be great for drone use and a bunch of reviews just came out for them. I looked at them before, but they were just way too expensive to swallow. It is still expensive, but given the fact that you could drop a sim card into the tablet and use it as a phone is a bonus. The only thing missing from this beast is a video out. I think they would sell more of them if it had that. Stay tuned.
I have this Tablet there are a few issues when flying the EVO that you have work around in order for it work. And that thy won’t tell you on there website.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fischcrazy