Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Mandatory Airspace No Fly now enforced?

Bonanzaman

Reaction score
OK, so I just got my Evo 2 Pro from B&H and did some initial flights…very impressed with this craft. So much to like…

Powering up yesterday, I got a FW update availability notice which included some nice additions such as being able to program one of the a/b back buttons to change from normal to ludicrous mode with a single button press…cool. So, I put aside my normal reluctance to update immediately to a newer FW an did it. Nextime powering up to upload to the copter, I get a notice that this update now installs no-fly-zone airspace’s as a mandatory part of the update! One of the main reasons I bought the Autel was to avoid the geofencing long part of DJI installations, but now it seems it has been forced upon us! I have not checked yet, but wonder if it is possible to re-load the previous FW….but then forever no improvements possible??

Anyone else experienced this yet??

Mark

Reactions: spicynujac
It's not mandatory in the US. It just gives a verbal warning, but you can still operate the drone. To my understanding, it was included in the update due to other countries making it mandatory. I have not had any issues with it other than verbal warnings.

Reactions: gschulzuio
Thanks for that….I did read a few other posts relating, so hopefully the notices at power up won’t drive us too crazy….

The notices are annoying because you can't take them off the screen. They keep coming back and block off a significant portion of the screen...but two days ago, I flew it on a job where you couldn't get permission for a DJI. The Chinese apparently outrank the FAA when it comes to flying anywhere near an airport.

The notices are annoying because you can't take them off the screen. They keep coming back and block off a significant portion of the screen...but two days ago, I flew it on a job where you couldn't get permission for a DJI. The Chinese apparently outrank the FAA when it comes to flying anywhere near an airport.
Exactly my issue here…

Ditto. With DJI, if you have legitimate credentials to fly in an NFZ, once properly authorized and unlocked, the screen is not obstructed in any way. There is no way to do that on the EVO 2 Pro 6k on any consumer FW. Pick your poison!

Reactions: gschulzuio
Ditto. With DJI, if you have legitimate credentials to fly in an NFZ, once properly authorized and unlocked, the screen is not obstructed in any way. There is no way to do that on the EVO 2 Pro 6k on any consumer FW. Pick your poison!
Sometimes, no matter your credentials, no matter your unlock, your DJI drone will not take off or you will lose control of it and it will land when it suddenly finds it is in one, even when it isn't. Happened to me on more than one occasion and it is downright embarrassing in front of a client. What's in their drone, is not always what's on their website. When it decides to land, it's dangerous, not just embarrassing. It will land in the middle of a road, on a car driving under it, in power lines, on a roof, or a baby carriage. Luckily, mine have been in open fields. I only fly my Phantom when the risk of that is low or in uncontrolled airspace, and I still often get screen warnings and notices to request authorization from DJI to fly there. Luckily, most of those can be ignored.

Bonanzaman, do you happen to fly/own a Bonanza? I own and fly a 1963 Bonanza
Owned and flew a ‘53 D for 3 years, and then a ‘61 for another 7…had to sell a few years back as we were just not using it enough to justify keeping…I still miss her (N9459Y)!! The “P” is a great Bonanza.

Reactions: Azelgato
Airspace advisories only. No restriction of flight in the US. Have fun and fly responsibly!
What happens if flying the drone in another country?

Of course most of my flying is done in the US since I live here, but honestly drone usage is prohibited in the places I want to use it most. So I enjoy flying it abroad.

But I don't want any No Fly Zone software at all.
I'm staying away from updates for the time being.
Sure, it may only be a software warning now, but once you have that NFZ database installed, it's extremely simple to implement a forced No Fly Zone in the next update... I don't want to risk that.

FYI I never fly with an active internet connection, just GPS signal only... is the NFZ triggered by GPS location only?

What happens if flying the drone in another country?

Of course most of my flying is done in the US since I live here, but honestly drone usage is prohibited in the places I want to use it most. So I enjoy flying it abroad.

But I don't want any No Fly Zone software at all.
I'm staying away from updates for the time being.
Sure, it may only be a software warning now, but once you have that NFZ database installed, it's extremely simple to implement a forced No Fly Zone in the next update... I don't want to risk that.

FYI I never fly with an active internet connection, just GPS signal only... is the NFZ triggered by GPS location only?
Worldwide NFZ database maps were already preinstalled during manufacture. How they are handled is based upon the FW and the GPS location. Not updating only prevents the NFZ maps from being updated. Geofencing is already in place. Turning a warning into a flight prohibition is child's play. Autel Robotics could do it tomorrow here in the U.S., even without an FAA directive, should they wish to be proactive, like DJI chose to be.

This is the major distinction between them and DJI and the only reason I avoid DJI. It would make absolutely no sense for them to turn it on in the US unless forced to.
The DJI "Fly-Safe" thing has turned a few jobs I've had into almost lost drone situations with potential injuries.
Taking control of a drone away from the pilot and landing it (which their system does), without knowing what is underneath it, is a safety concern and I'm actually surprised that the FAA allows it.
Besides, the system doesn't increase safety of anything. They don't know if I have a 107 or have an Authorization, when I ask DJI for permission to fly. Anyone can do it.

I updated my Evo the other day....no difference. I will be using it in a 50' LAANC zone tomorrow, somewhere I might not be able to fly with my Phantom and definitely won't without asking DJI for permission.
I like DJI equipment, but when you have to depend on the equipment for a business, and you have to fly near an airport, the FAA is all I want to deal with.

This is the major distinction between them and DJI and the only reason I avoid DJI. It would make absolutely no sense for them to turn it on in the US unless forced to.
The DJI "Fly-Safe" thing has turned a few jobs I've had into almost lost drone situations with potential injuries.
Taking control of a drone away from the pilot and landing it (which their system does), without knowing what is underneath it, is a safety concern and I'm actually surprised that the FAA allows it.
Besides, the system doesn't increase safety of anything. They don't know if I have a 107 or have an Authorization, when I ask DJI for permission to fly. Anyone can do it.

I updated my Evo the other day....no difference. I will be using it in a 50' LAANC zone tomorrow, somewhere I might not be able to fly with my Phantom and definitely won't without asking DJI for permission.
I like DJI equipment, but when you have to depend on the equipment for a business, and you have to fly near an airport, the FAA is all I want to deal with.
All it would take is one well publicized incident with an Autel Robotics drone being flown into an NFZ leading to a catastrophic result. Game over. The adverse publicity would compel them to either enforce the NFZ's or be completely banned from sale in the U.S.. Guess what they would pick! All the worldwide NFZ locations are already on every Autel Robotics drone. They are already enforced in China. Autel Robotics enforcing them in the U.S. is just one accident away! It only takes one idiot ignoring the warnings.

All it would take is one well publicized incident with an Autel Robotics drone being flown into an NFZ leading to a catastrophic result. Game over. The adverse publicity would compel them to either enforce the NFZ's or be completely banned from sale in the U.S.. Guess what they would pick! All the worldwide NFZ locations are already on every Autel Robotics drone. They are already enforced in China. Autel Robotics enforcing them in the U.S. is just one accident away! It only takes one idiot ignoring the warnings.
Almost sounds like you are lobbying for them, with "should they wish to be proactive, like DJI chose to be". DJI's no-fly zones don't even match the FAA's Facility map, which is the gold standard in the US. There are places that the FAA says I can fly, that DJI says I can't and vice versa. I don't remember Congress enacting a law giving DJI that power.

Autel being "proactive" would not be helpful, but just be another administrative barrier to getting work done, while making some of the places I have to fly nervous about what information is being collected by the app I am forced to use. I would rather report to the FAA, than some foreign company, that has no business knowing what I am doing or where I am flying. At least Yuneec used to unlock your drone when you showed them your 107 certificate.

Almost sounds like you are lobbying for them, with "should they wish to be proactive, like DJI chose to be". DJI's no-fly zones don't even match the FAA's Facility map, which is the gold standard in the US. There are places that the FAA says I can fly, that DJI says I can't and vice versa. I don't remember Congress enacting a law giving DJI that power.

Autel being "proactive" would not be helpful, but just be another administrative barrier to getting work done, while making some of the places I have to fly nervous about what information is being collected by the app I am forced to use. I would rather report to the FAA, than some foreign company, that has no business knowing what I am doing or where I am flying. At least Yuneec used to unlock your drone when you showed them your 107 certificate.
Bottom line, I don't trust Autel Robotics and neither does Ken Booth, nor Randall! Autel Robotics marches to the tune of one drummer, its owner. Any promises they have made in the past are no guarantee of any future performance! The fact that these NFZ's with warnings have already been installed is exactly how DJI's optional GEO began, until DJI made GEO mandatory as a Trojan Horse inside a mandatorty FW and app update, along with anti-rollback! Don't think Autel Robotics isn't fully capable of the same. The handwriting is on already the wall. It's just a question of when. Plan accordingly!

Reactions: spicynujac
Bottom line, I don't trust Autel Robotics and neither does Ken Booth, nor Randall! Autel Robotics marches to the tune of one drummer, its owner. Any promises they have made in the past are no guarantee of any future performance! The fact that these NFZ's with warnings have already been installed is exactly how DJI's optional GEO began, until DJI made GEO mandatory as a Trojan Horse inside a mandatorty FW and app update, along with anti-rollback! Don't think Autel Robotics isn't fully capable of the same. The handwriting is on already the wall. It's just a question of when. Plan accordingly!
So you are saying you don't fly Autel drones? As far as trust, I make my own decisions, but I don't really inherently trust any of the Chinese companies. All have to support the Chinese Communist party and their military by law, if asked. It's hardest for them to get intelligence from Yuneec drones by their nature, Autel at least, doesn't make me tell them when I am flying near critical infrastructure and I can fly offline and not update if I want (doesn't say they can't get in though when I connect to the internet). You basically can't fly a DJI without giving them information. I like DJI hardware, and I like the ease of use of their software, but I don't like their badly named "fly-safe" system. They also seem to have a lot of bots out talking trash about their competitors again, especially right now. I want to see competition in the market.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kestrel