Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Losing video

In urban environments, where there is lots of 2.4Ghz wifi interference, EVO FPV freezes up and starts lagging beyond a mile. I, myself, have successfully flown it out to 3 miles away with clear LOS, but only at high altitude (where video is essentially useless), and with unreliable FPV, followed by complete loss of video and signal on the return, that resulted in RTH. Loss of signal also mysteriously corrupts the flight log, so you can never determine the cause. Over similar terrain at 50 feet AGL, the Mavic 2 is rock solid out to over 5 miles. EVO is just as geofenced as DJI. They just haven't flipped the switch yet to make it mandatory. The NFZ database already resides within every EVO. That is where the undismissable warnings come from, that you are flying in a prohibited area. They stay on the screen the entire time. At least with DJI, you can remove them, with proper authorization.

Personally I've flown EVO 4 miles out 8 mi round trip on two separate occasions, (not over people) but adjacent to light urban wi-fi interference. Both times between 200 and 260 ft. altitude. One time was primarily over water and other time primarily over forest. Both times I had 4-5 bars of signal with zero glitches in video feed the entire flight (have screen recording of both flights with telemetry of interested). I did randomly get weak video signal warnings that lasted 1-2 seconds each and then bounced back to full signal strength. Return trip maintains full signal. All with stock antenna/remote and battery. I do think Mavic2/occusync 2 will have better signal and go further than EVO, but just marginally so in my experience and what I've seen on YT. Not worth the $500 extra in my opinion.

Personally I've flown EVO 4 miles out 8 mi round trip on two separate occasions, (not over people) but adjacent to light urban wi-fi interference. Both times between 200 and 260 ft. altitude. One time was primarily over water and other time primarily over forest. Both times I had 4-5 bars of signal with zero glitches in video feed the entire flight (have screen recording of both flights with telemetry of interested). I did randomly get weak video signal warnings that lasted 1-2 seconds each and then bounced back to full signal strength. Return trip maintains full signal. All with stock antenna/remote and battery. I do think Mavic2/occusync 2 will have better signal and go further than EVO, but just marginally so in my experience and what I've seen on YT. Not worth the $500 extra in my opinion.
Personally, setting long range records without compelling video is not my cup of tea, so, if I cannot fly at 50', like I can all day with OcuSync 2 out to up to 5 miles, flying at 200-260 feet is useless, and comparable to Google Earth views. The DJI Mavic 2 Pro can be had new for as little as $1175 today, from djidroneservices.com, with a15% off coupon code of mavicpilots2019

Personally, setting long range records without compelling video is not my cup of tea, so, if I cannot fly at 50', like I can all day with OcuSync 2 out to up to 5 miles, flying at 200-260 feet is useless, and comparable to Google Earth views. The DJI Mavic 2 Pro can be had new for as little as $1175 today, from djidroneservices.com, with a15% off coupon code of mavicpilots2019
Good point. So if I need to fly like you have described then I should get an ocusync equipped drone. Good to know.

I would be interested to see your video flying 50' high for over 5 miles (haven't seen any video at that height for that distance unless maybe over featurless ocean or going down a mountain where your remote is above all obstacles which I imagine EVO might come close to matching - send the yt link please if you have one. As for the pricing how many batteries do you get for that $1175. I would say for equal # of batteries you will be 400+ more. If 3 batteries for that price then it sounds like a great deal. 200 foot is plenty low for what I consider to be very nice footage over rivers and heavily wooded areas - very scenic.

Reactions: Ansia
I emailed Autel. Put a new SD card in and haven't had much of the issue anymore. I can go a little over a mile and then i lose video signal, but it is very wooded here. I am wondering if I need to upgrade my antenna since I will use it in the woods?

I emailed Autel. Put a new SD card in and haven't had much of the issue anymore. I can go a little over a mile and then i lose video signal, but it is very wooded here. I am wondering if I need to upgrade my antenna since I will use it in the woods?
No antenna will overcome LOS obstructions, unless you can elevate it above them, which requires no upgrade. Get above the trees, or get out of the forest for better range.

No antenna will overcome LOS obstructions, unless you can elevate it above them, which requires no upgrade. Get above the trees, or get out of the forest for better range.

Well, a little over a mile at 400' is my current limit with my EVO while flying from an open field in the surrounding woods.

I guess that should be alright, because anymore I am pushing it.

I had one of them learning moments today when the battery hit critically low and barely made it to a safe spot on my farm where I didn't have to fight the swamp to get the drone.

I would be interested to see your video flying 50' high for over 5 miles (haven't seen any video at that height for that distance unless maybe over featurless ocean or going down a mountain where your remote is above all obstacles which I imagine EVO might come close to matching - send the yt link please if you have one. As for the pricing how many batteries do you get for that $1175. I would say for equal # of batteries you will be 400+ more. If 3 batteries for that price then it sounds like a great deal. 200 foot is plenty low for what I consider to be very nice footage over rivers and heavily wooded areas - very scenic.
Mavic 2 Pro includes one battery. Extra M2 batteries are currently $115 each, using the same discount code above. This is a limited time offer, and I have no affiliation with the seller, but it is a heck of a deal! Mavic 2 Pro price everywhere goes back to $1729 after January 1. I fly from an elevated location with clear LOS out to 10 miles. Here is a recent M2P flight log, showing distance away as 26,686 feet at 37 feet, above the home point, over dry land. OcuSync 2 rocks!
A0FB40CC-3F6A-4DA3-8E9F-6925F8DAC255.jpeg

Mavic 2 Pro includes one battery. Extra M2 batteries are currently $115 each, using the same discount code above. This is a limited time offer, and I have no affiliation with the seller, but it is a heck of a deal! Mavic 2 Pro price everywhere goes back to $1729 after January 1. I fly from an elevated location with clear LOS out to 10 miles. Here is a recent M2P flight log, showing distance away as 26,686 feet at 37 feet, above the home point, over dry land. OcuSync 2 rocks!
View attachment 5872
Kind of the point I was making earlier - your pricing is limited to a very short timeframe, but increases to well over $500 more than the EVO in just a few days (definitely not worth it in my opinion). Also you show no video to show you are consistently 50' or under AGL (above ground level) - not from takeoff point (you mention you took off from an elevated point so rest of flight is below your takeoff). You could be 400' or more AGL a few hundred feet into the flight for all I know (do you have video posted to see quality of video "non-Google map view" low altitude as you referred to the EVO view having earlier). My flights have been 8 miles rt (round trip) so far with full signal at furthest point away with battery enough to probably push close to 10 mi rt - just don't have the nerve to test fate that the battery will get me back. Honestly I don't fly that far regularly (no one should), but testing quality at range and have to say I've been more than satisfied with the EVO and saving a good amount of $$ over M2 for something I don't need or something most would never have use for in my opinion. That's not to say that I don't think the M2 is a very nice drone or that i think the EVO can match the range of OS2 (it doesn't), just that I think the difference (which isn't that much) doesn't justify the price difference for me.

So my question is. Why do you need to fly at 37' height while 26,686' distance? You clearly are in violation from every aviation agency in the world, by not mantaining VLOS.

I don't mind you flying how you wish to fly, but please do not promote flying BVLOS in here or try selling us a drone we don't want.

So my question is. Why do you need to fly at 37' height while 26,686' distance? You clearly are in violation from every aviation agency in the world, by not mantaining VLOS.

I don't mind you flying how you wish to fly, but please do not promote flying BVLOS in here or try selling us a drone we don't want.
Posts deleted. Feel free to delete the quoted versions in replies. Everyone's needs are different. I was responding to a poster who was disparaging an admittedly far better transmission system solely on the basis of price, which was inaccurate. The specs DJI quotes for OcuSync 2 are real, unlike those of Autel for the EVO wifi. The poster has obviously never had the opportunity to fly both aircraft. If the transmission and FPV video are solid out to 5 miles, they certainly won't have any issues within VLOS, and the 1” Mavic 2 Pro sensor puts the EVO to shame, since Autel never delivered on the promise of a 1” sensor EVO . Not promoting or selling anything. Just keeping it real.

Reactions: PoorMoney
Posts deleted. Feel free to delete the quoted versions in replies. Everyone's needs are different. I was responding to a poster who was disparaging an admittedly far better transmission system solely on the basis of price, which was inaccurate. The specs DJI quotes for OcuSync 2 are real, unlike those of Autel for the EVO wifi. The poster has obviously never had the opportunity to fly both aircraft. If the transmission and FPV video are solid out to 5 miles, they certainly won't have any issues within VLOS, and the 1” Mavic 2 Pro sensor puts the EVO to shame, since Autel never delivered on the promise of a 1” sensor EVO . Not promoting or selling anything. Just keeping it real.

Well, I think a better upgraded antenna would help the EVO out. But I've watched the Mavic 2 videos before I purchased the EVO and some of them werent getting the distances claimed. Some were. Heck, I saw the EVO pick up better live feed in a city VS a Mavic 2 in one Youtube video.

I saw the EVO and the Mavic 2 matched at the distances. But I thought about it...why go 4 miles? I nearly had a screw up the other day with the low battery. Barely made it back to a safe area. The batteries are what stops any drone and yes, the radio transmission.

I am only getting 1.2 miles even when I am flying 300-400'. Maybe it is just because I am in heavy woods. We have a Mavic 2 Pro at work and will be using it in the woods....so maybe I can get more hands on with it to see how it compares. But so far the EVO does good for what I need at a cheaper price with more batteries and Autel seems to answer their emails and try to help unlike what I hear DJI does.. just wish I can go a little further than 1.2 miles and get the prop noise down.

I am strongly thinking about getting a 4Hawks antenna. But like some of yall say..it might not help.

It is perfectly fine to have an opinion on which signal is better. Heck, I am the first to say, nothing beats ocusync. People will always defend what they believe in. It is human nature. What I don't agree is promoting of other products while bashing yours. It's like going into a Ford lovers club and telling them "FORD = Fix or Repair Daily, go get yourself a Dodge".

There are plenty of ways to get your message across. I have restored your post. I just ask that it is not repeated.

Reactions: PoorMoney
I calibrated the gimbal as usual before every flight and after it did so the camera didnt come on. It only showed this grayscale. I had to restart the drone to get the camera back going. Is this normal?Screenshot_20191225-170113_Autel Explorer.jpg

I calibrated the gimbal as usual before every flight and after it did so the camera didnt come on. It only showed this grayscale. I had to restart the drone to get the camera back going. Is this normal?View attachment 5876
As saying it's normal, I cannot say, but the Explorer app does contain bugs and it seems you discovered one. As long as it doesn't repeat itself, unless provoked, you should be fine.

As saying it's normal, I cannot say, but the Explorer app does contain bugs and it seems you discovered one. As long as it doesn't repeat itself, unless provoked, you should be fine.
It has done this a couple of times with me.

I am going to give it a couple more times and see. So far the video hasn't frozen on me like it has done before since I swapped SD cards.

It lost signal for a minute and the live feee turned grayscale like that screenshot I posted while ago did, but it came back on with the live feed.

Do you think the 4hawks antenna is worth investing in to have a little bit better signal? I know like some folks saying that it won't help because of the trees, but seemed like some reviews said it helped with them. If it can get me to 2-2.5 miles and won't lose much signal when I am in our pine plantations as much if I am 1000 ft or less from it...I am good.

It has done this a couple of times with me.

I am going to give it a couple more times and see. So far the video hasn't frozen on me like it has done before since I swapped SD cards.

It lost signal for a minute and the live feee turned grayscale like that screenshot I posted while ago did, but it came back on with the live feed.

Do you think the 4hawks antenna is worth investing in to have a little bit better signal? I know like some folks saying that it won't help because of the trees, but seemed like some reviews said it helped with them. If it can get me to 2-2.5 miles and won't lose much signal when I am in our pine plantations as much if I am 1000 ft or less from it...I am good.
I don't own them, so I cannot answer your question.

Try pointing your antennas down and the tips slightly away from each other. That way, they are pointed more toward the Evo while holding the controller in a natural state. You can also reach them with your fingers to adjust the angle if you are flying more overhead or far away. I'm not saying that will fix your problem by no means but I have flown the greatest distance away from my controller that way.
Also I barely get over a mile in populated areas. Sometimes only a good 3/4 mile. And too, I've noticed that if the ground is good and wet, (It has been raining here like crazy for a month) I can fly ever farther. I flew over 1.3 miles from the controller today without any warnings while in dry conditions and at the same location, I only get about .8 miles and start getting warnings that the video signal is weak.

Try pointing your antennas down and the tips slightly away from each other. That way, they are pointed more toward the Evo while holding the controller in a natural state. You can also reach them with your fingers to adjust the angle if you are flying more overhead or far away. I'm not saying that will fix your problem by no means but I have flown the greatest distance away from my controller that way.
Also I barely get over a mile in populated areas. Sometimes only a good 3/4 mile. And too, I've noticed that if the ground is good and wet, (It has been raining here like crazy for a month) I can fly ever farther. I flew over 1.3 miles from the controller today without any warnings while in dry conditions and at the same location, I only get about .8 miles and start getting warnings that the video signal is weak.
Wet surfaces, and water, are far better at reflecting WiFi signals than dry surfaces. Parallel antennas have traditionally resulted in the best signal. Adding a windsurfer to the antennas will also help with penetration. However, I haven't been able to find anyone who makes a windsurfer for the EVO, which has a different width between the antennas than a Mavic, for which there are many. Modifying various Mavic ones to fit hasn't worked as well as one created specifically for the EVO. The parabolas no longer point straight together. Also, with the antennas flipped down, most of the windsurfers just fall off, as they were designed to be held in place with gravity, and the Mavic antennas do not flip down. 4Hawks setup will help, but for the OP, borrow the M2P to see the difference in range with it first. If obstructions, rather than wifi interference, are the issue, adding 4Hawks won't help much.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58