Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Losing video

It does, but it doesn't do it very well. It craps out at under a mile. DJI's OcuSync 2.0 blows it out of the water with a true 5 mile range!
That's weird, I had flew over 4000 meters, only with controller, over water and never lost any signal.

That's weird, I had flew over 4000 meters, only with controller, over water and never lost any signal.

All the videos I've seen is the EVO went 4 miles+.

I think the EVO may benefit with an ungraded antenna.

It does, but it doesn't do it very well. It craps out at under a mile. DJI's OcuSync 2.0 blows it out of the water with a true 5 mile range!
2.4ghz I thought was a radio signal?

Rereading your initial note I see that powerlines are nearby. If that is always the case, that may be a factor. I also wonder about time and temperature given the fire angle. What happens if you fly away at 200 altitude, 1000 feet away at line of sight, no fire, for ten minutes?

While wifi is not occusync, the Autel Evo has benefits versus the DJI. Price, no geofencing are two big ones.

In one of my videos you can see the small powerline on my farm that I fly near. I figured it wouldnt do much to hurt it. I flew the EVO a mile away with no problem.

Then when I lost that video feed I was under some bigger power lines as seen here in the foreground. The Google Earth was still working and tracting the EVO and myself. That is how I found where my EVO was in the woods by tracing it through the live map. The obstacle avoidance was also dinging since I had it near some trees as well. So it was alerting a signal to the remote. Just the video feed crapped out and frozed and turned to grayscale (the record button and all of the other settings were colored grey).
Screenshot_20191222-095640_Gallery.jpg

I would rather ask myself the question to know what could have created this situation or rather why I created it.

I would rather ask myself the question to know what could have created this situation or rather why I created it.
Please elaborate.

The powerlines? Possible, but I have flown next to one before and it didn't do nothing.

There was none of the big powerline transformer units nearby. Just the powerlines. I know the powerlines could cause issues, but the thing is...the EVO still operated as normal. The live video feed was the issue. There was no message of weak video signal.

Both Lightbridge and OcuSync and OcuSync 2 are far better than Autel's plain old wifi at maintaining signal and FPV at any distance.
We had this discussion before. Autel's wifi signal is a bit better than what Lightbridge. I own all 3 systems.

Reactions: macoman
We had this discussion before. Autel's wifi signal is a bit better than what Lightbridge. I own all 3 systems.
Agree totally... I have a Mavic Pro Platinum which have ocusync 1 and can confirm that the Evo can match this one in distance.

Reactions: Ansia
Simply the fact that I never would have thought of passing the hand or leaving it over a barbecue.

Simply the fact that I never would have thought of passing the hand or leaving it over a barbecue.
Well, people fly over water and cities where it can crash into the water and never be seen again or crash into a car or house.

I'm just the one that rather fly it over something different than most.?

Yes, surely, but not everyone has a grain in their head.
Camera specs.JPG and Evo idem.
In addition the Evo is ventilated, it has absorbed all the heat it could and the rest.
What temperature is there above a fire?

Yes, surely, but not everyone has a grain in their head.
View attachment 5862 and Evo idem.
In addition the Evo is ventilated, it has absorbed all the heat it could and the rest.
What temperature is there above a fire?

I know about the heat, that is why I didn't put it in the smoke which where the heat will be at. I do this for a living so I understand about it all. The transport winds were high. The smoke was blowing the opposite direction I was filming. ??

If you seen the video, which you must have, then you see the drone operated flawlessly.

These issues with the live video feed have occurred away from any fire activity.

And the time when I was filming on this fire and the live video feed issue occurred, the fire wasn't even burning.

I understand what you are saying, but the fire did not caused any issues to this drone.

Yes, but the damage was done, if components have taken too much heat, it is after the problems appear.
For information in a fire, the temperature reaches 1,200 to 1,500 ° C while above, in the plume of fumes, the temperature drops below 600 ° C.
This makes quite a margin with the 40 ° max that Autel gives.
I think your device needs a little vavance at Autel's after-sales service.

Yes, but the damage was done, if components have taken too much heat, it is after the problems appear.
For information in a fire, the temperature reaches 1,200 to 1,500 ° C while above, in the plume of fumes, the temperature drops below 600 ° C.
This makes quite a margin with the 40 ° max that Autel gives.
I think your device needs a little vavance at Autel's after-sales service.

The Drone wasn't in the column of smoke in which where the temperature of the fire is at and where the unstable air is at. And if you read what I stated in the beginning. This issue of the live video feed had occurred before me putting it around fire. It is in plain English. Read. Simple.

And the video of what I recored of the fire was after I had issues with the live video feed. The video clearly shows the drone is operating and videoing correctly.

Maybe not directly in the smoke (although) but squarely above the flames with flames that twirl in front of the drone. If the flames are at this height, it means that the temperature must be very hot at that time.
flameches.JPG
Good end of the chapter for me, do the rest alone.
A Question, why you did not put it directly on the barbecue with the merguez, its agony would have been shorter.moqueur dji.gif

Reactions: PoorMoney
In urban environments, where there is lots of 2.4Ghz wifi interference, EVO FPV freezes up and starts lagging beyond a mile. I, myself, have successfully flown it out to 3 miles away with clear LOS, but only at high altitude (where video is essentially useless), and with unreliable FPV, followed by complete loss of video and signal on the return, that resulted in RTH. Loss of signal also mysteriously corrupts the flight log, so you can never determine the cause. Over similar terrain at 50 feet AGL, the Mavic 2 is rock solid out to over 5 miles. EVO is just as geofenced as DJI. They just haven't flipped the switch yet to make it mandatory. The NFZ database already resides within every EVO. That is where the undismissable warnings come from, that you are flying in a prohibited area. They stay on the screen the entire time. At least with DJI, you can remove them, with proper authorization.

We'll have to agree to disagree. My completely stock P4P on Lightbridge is solid out to 4 miles over the same territory that the EVO craps out at anything over a mile. EVO performance is identical to the stock P4 with the terrible GL300c controller.

Maybe not directly in the smoke (although) but squarely above the flames with flames that twirl in front of the drone. If the flames are at this height, it means that the temperature must be very hot at that time.
View attachment 5864
Good end of the chapter for me, do the rest alone.
A Question, why you did not put it directly on the barbecue with the merguez, its agony would have been shorter.View attachment 5865

I understand what you are trying to say, but the wind was pushing the heat away. The fire wasn't standing up like it would have on a day with no wind. Now, that would directly be BBQ'n the drone. The flames were at least 6-10' on the ground.

Its like a campfire...you put a fan behind it...the heat will be transferred away from the fan since it is blowing the heat away. You can still feel the heat, but not as hot as it would be if you didn't have a fan blowing it. Radiant heat.

Last edited:
We'll have to agree to disagree. My completely stock P4P on Lightbridge is solid out to 4 miles over the same territory that the EVO craps out at anything over a mile. EVO performance is identical to the stock P4 with the terrible GL300c controller.

Reactions: Ansia
"American Bad Boy" vs. "Its Chinese Competitor"? :rolleyes:
Autel is just as Chinese as DJI!
Both are 100% Chinese owned companies based in China, and all manufacturing facilities are based in China! 5 guys sitting in an office in Seattle answering phones does not make Autel "American!"

The EVO test flight area was over the ocean in an interference free zone.
Hardly real world. I already stated I can get 3 miles as well, but not reliably, not without FPV lag, not without FPV freezing up, and not unless at the drone ceiling of 400', and not without RTH also kicking in on the return flight!

If you need to fly reliably beyond a mile, well below 100 feet, the Mavic 2 wins every time. If you have to fly at 400 feet to maintain signal and FPV, like with the EVO in urban areas beyond a mile, you might as well be using Google Earth!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DanielC

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy