Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Losing video

PoorMoney

Reaction score
So, I have my phone hooked up to the remote to see better while I fly and also to use the Autel Explorer App. While I fly sometimes and try to record video...it starts to record for a bit then all of the sudden the screen freezes and the video turns gray. I have to stop the app and start it up again sometimes for the video display to come back up. Sometimes if I wait without restarting the app, the video display comes back on, but it has stopped recording video and is on the picture setting.

What is causing this? I did it today in some trees where I could still see the drone and had to stop and restart the app. I could hear the obstacle avoidance still working while all of this was happening.

So, I have my phone hooked up to the remote to see better while I fly and also to use the Autel Explorer App. While I fly sometimes and try to record video...it starts to record for a bit then all of the sudden the screen freezes and the video turns gray. I have to stop the app and start it up again sometimes for the video display to come back up. Sometimes if I wait without restarting the app, the video display comes back on, but it has stopped recording video and is on the picture setting.

What is causing this? I did it today in some trees where I could still see the drone and had to stop and restart the app. I could hear the obstacle avoidance still working while all of this was happening.
@PoorMoney Try shutting your phone down (off) occasionally and let it reboot. It's just like any other computer.

Reactions: PoorMoney
Well, I flew it today at work to film us burning the woods off.

I wasnt really far from the drone, but it was in some trees and next to an power line right of way. The drone operated fine in the beginning. The video was going great. Then all of the sudden the picture frozed again and the picture turned gray. I unplugged the phone and tried to open the display on the remote...it showed a loading screen. I could still hear the obstacle avoidance beeping on the remote.

I then hooked my phone back up and open the APP again and the picture still didnt load..it was black. I looked at the google earth map on the app to see where the drone was and walked to it. I was hoping it wouldnt fail and fall into the fire. I found it, because as I stated..I wasnt far from it

I landed it and restarted everything. Well, the display on the remote worked for a bit and then it did the same thing as my phone view went.

There was no message of video signal low or anything.

I went elsewhere with the drone in the same timber stand and the video worked fine for a bit til it did the gray frozed picture again. I walked to where the drone was in the trees and brought it closer and the picture came back on on my phone.

I know the trees can cause interference, but this thing was doing the same thing in an open field one day on me. It would video for a bit and the picture on my phone would freeze with what the camera last saw and the color would be gray.

What is the issue?
I am wondering if I just need to get a upgraded antenna to pick up better, especially if I am going to use it in the woods and try to have a little better reception?

Thanks!

I have flow over 4500 feet away from the controller without signal loss. I have rarely had a signal loss and never a gray screen. I would contact Autel support at this point. I think you have a hardware problem. You are extending the antenna right?

I have flow over 4500 feet away from the controller without signal loss. I have rarely had a signal loss and never a gray screen. I would contact Autel support at this point. I think you have a hardware problem. You are extending the antenna right?

Is that 4500 feet with obstacles in the way like trees?

Yes, i got them unfolding and sticking up.

The 4500 was over water, but I have flown far away with tree and other obstacles and never had anything like what you are describing as an issue.

The 4500 was over water, but I have flown far away with tree and other obstacles and never had anything like what you are describing as an issue.

What if the area has bad cell service? Will using the app cause it to have issues with bad cell service?

I am thinking not since this should be already programmed into the drone.

What if the area has bad cell service? Will using the app cause it to have issues with bad cell service?

I am thinking not since this should be already programmed into the drone.
I don’t know how cell service would factor in except for access to maps. I think I fly mostly with just the controller, so if I had been somewhere without cell service I would not have noticed. Even with the phone attached I don’t recall ever having an issue with cell service.

Well, I flew it today at work to film us burning the woods off.

I wasnt really far from the drone, but it was in some trees and next to an power line right of way. The drone operated fine in the beginning. The video was going great. Then all of the sudden the picture frozed again and the picture turned gray. I unplugged the phone and tried to open the display on the remote...it showed a loading screen. I could still hear the obstacle avoidance beeping on the remote.

I then hooked my phone back up and open the APP again and the picture still didnt load..it was black. I looked at the google earth map on the app to see where the drone was and walked to it. I was hoping it wouldnt fail and fall into the fire. I found it, because as I stated..I wasnt far from it

I landed it and restarted everything. Well, the display on the remote worked for a bit and then it did the same thing as my phone view went.

There was no message of video signal low or anything.

I went elsewhere with the drone in the same timber stand and the video worked fine for a bit til it did the gray frozed picture again. I walked to where the drone was in the trees and brought it closer and the picture came back on on my phone.

I know the trees can cause interference, but this thing was doing the same thing in an open field one day on me. It would video for a bit and the picture on my phone would freeze with what the camera last saw and the color would be gray.

What is the issue?
I am wondering if I just need to get a upgraded antenna to pick up better, especially if I am going to use it in the woods and try to have a little better reception?

Thanks!
I had the same problem. Believe it or not, it ended up being a bad USB cable from the controller to the phone.

Well, I just emailed them. Hopefully they will email me back with a solution. Kind of afraid of flying this thing any distance. I may invest into an antenna upgrade.

Well, I just emailed them. Hopefully they will email me back with a solution. Kind of afraid of flying this thing any distance. I may invest into an antenna upgrade.
Both Lightbridge and OcuSync and OcuSync 2 are far better than Autel's plain old wifi at maintaining signal and FPV at any distance.

Both Lightbridge and OcuSync and OcuSync 2 are far better than Autel's plain old wifi at maintaining signal and FPV at any distance.
I thought the Evo doesn't operate with WiFi

I thought the Evo doesn't operate with WiFi
It does, but it doesn't do it very well. It craps out at under a mile. DJI's OcuSync 2.0 blows it out of the water with a true 5 mile range!

Rereading your initial note I see that powerlines are nearby. If that is always the case, that may be a factor. I also wonder about time and temperature given the fire angle. What happens if you fly away at 200 altitude, 1000 feet away at line of sight, no fire, for ten minutes?

While wifi is not occusync, the Autel Evo has benefits versus the DJI. Price, no geofencing are two big ones.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain