Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Let’s Talk Tablets

Volatus Drones

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.empiredroneco.com
What tablets do you all use and why? Please include info like size, brightness, price, etc.

By asking this question we are trying to guide other Autel users in the right direction when investing in a tablet.

Thanks!

What tablets do you all use and why? Please include info like size, brightness, price, etc.

By asking this question we are trying to guide other Autel users in the right direction when investing in a tablet.

Thanks!
I've had the EVO 1 since September 2018 and use an older Samsung Galaxy Tab A. I went with the Android instead of Apple due to Autel giving them priority when developing the Explorer app. Any tablet with at least 2 gigs of RAM works well. The 8" tabs are more than adequate size wise and easy to 3D print (or purchase) an extender. You can switch up the brightness to outdoor mode for a high NIT.
I added a SMALLRIG 7" Monitor Sun Hood Sunshade made for the Red Touch 7.0’’ LCD, for Red Pro. Still works great!

Here is a link to the newer version Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0" Tablet (Latest Model), 32GB Wi-Fi, Black, Android 9.0 Pie, 5100 mAh Battery

Attachments

• DSCN5909.JPG
    DSCN5909.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Reactions: House Forasken
I have a Lenovo Tab 10.5HD with a micro SD card installed. It's an Android Qualcom Snapdragon PIE (whatever the heck that is..lol) and it works just fine with the Autel Explorer App and the Tello App as well.

I do need to use the LifThor tablet holder to carry it, it's pretty big physically but was hard to pass up the price, 130 bucks delivered from Wallyworld.

Very bright too but still need a shade in direct sunlight.

At my age, a cell phone don't cut it. Too small for my tired eyes.

I've had the EVO 1 since September 2018 and use an older Samsung Galaxy Tab A. I went with the Android instead of Apple due to Autel giving them priority when developing the Explorer app. Any tablet with at least 2 gigs of RAM works well. The 8" tabs are more than adequate size wise and easy to 3D print (or purchase) an extender. You can switch up the brightness to outdoor mode for a high NIT.
I added a SMALLRIG 7" Monitor Sun Hood Sunshade made for the Red Touch 7.0’’ LCD, for Red Pro. Still works great!

Here is a link to the newer version Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8.0" Tablet (Latest Model), 32GB Wi-Fi, Black, Android 9.0 Pie, 5100 mAh Battery
We’ve heard a lot of people using the Samsung Galaxy tab. Has anyone seen a “consumer grade” tablet that can be used in direct sunlight? Obviously there’s the CrystalSky but the price is justifiable for most folks (unless it’s a business expense)

I Too use an older Samsung Galaxy Tab A. Got it for my DJI Phantom 2 Vision + way back awhile. I like the fact
that I can add SD cards to record my screen and record sound for fireworks and also to show spectators
what I "See" when recording videos. It is hard to see in bright sunlight, but I usually fly in the morning and evening when its not
too bright out, and I can usually find a tree shadow to stand in. It fits perfect in my rugged bundle case>

EDIT: EVO 1

Last edited:
I think we may need to specify whether it's an EVO I or II. I have an EVO II pro and a Samsung Galaxy TAB A (2017) SM-T380. The app controls the aircraft fine, but no video is visible on on the screen when I hit Camera. It just shows black where the video should be. If I want to run it in mission mode, it works fine. I have used the tablet for a Phantom 4 pro, an Inspire 1 V2, and a Parrot Anafi (I also made sure all those apps were closed).

I have an EVO II 8K and I have two tablets, a Galaxy Tab 4 (sm-t230) and Galaxy Tab S6 (256G).

The Tab A is a great size (7"), but the the live video feed is choppy and delayed at best.
The Tab S6 is absolutely amazing, but a bit big for my liking mounted on the remote. I am also afraid of dropping it, lol.

I'm hoping to find a happy medium in this tread! I'd prefer a 7" tablet which is capable of processing the live video and multitasking. I run a screen recorder while flying so it needs to handle that and the live video.

I must be doing something wrong, but my TAB A doesn't work with my EVO II PRO. The app appears to run, but the video never shows on the screen (just black behind the app info). Anybody know what setting I have messed up?

Try to decrease the size of the video stream arriving at the tablet.
But it seems to me that this table is a fair bit anyway.
2 GB of ram is little depending on what is requested.
The minimum requested is 4 GB in Ram and at least one 8 cores from 2.3 to 2.6 ghz.

After some research I ended up with the Samsung Active PRO Tablet. It is very durable, has a rugged frame, a pen included (extremly helpful for mission planning on the Tab) , and it has some 600cd which is (after my research) the brightest Tab on the market. It is also availiable as an LTE version. Only con I found so far is that it is by far not the fastest Tab , however that is not necessary for use for flying. However, I am in Europe, I don´t know if it is availiable in the USA also

600cd which is (after my research) the brightest Tab on the market , i don't think. I currently have an s10 + ultra and it has a brightness of 1,200 cd / m², visible screen does not get full sun, not much need to look for shade to see the screen.

Well , a S10 Ultra is not a Tablet , its a Smartphone for nearly triple the price. It is brighter though

Yes, I know, but I don't want a tablet anymore, I donated.
Too cumbersome, not bright enough, obligation to put on a big sun visor, imbalance the radio.
There, now, I am quiet. Can be put on all radios without an adapter. Instant connection and map available immediately whatever the location.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
in84