Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Landing Gear Mod

herbl

Reaction score
dr2.jpg Fdr.jpg I thought I would pass this along as an option for those having tip overs on landing.

I recently purchased the Autel X-Star Premium but I have not yet flown it.

I attach a few photos of a landing gear mod that has helped me on landings and prevents tip-overs. Although this Machine is not the Autel Premium (Syma HG8H) it is similar in size to the Autel, but not as heavy. I replaced the stock landing gear on this and replaced it with the Phantom Gear. I found that using this gear has a higher center of gravity and this was causing tip-overs fore and aft upon landing.

I decided to'mod' the gear with a set of RC Helicopter Training Gear extensions. This kit uses light weight pin-pong style balls (orange no-less) and 2 carbon fiber strut extensions I used plastic tie-wraps to secure the extensions to the struts.

This configuration is very strong, adds little weight and drag and is very simple/effective. I have not had one tip over using this setup and made many landings on both grass and pavement etc.

I am quite sure this will work for the X-Star as well and will test this week. This kit can be had at Amazon for about $6.00

Reactions: KentA and JerPrin
Just a slight wind gust, a little slope, a bad patch of grass can cause the X Star to tip, tear up blades or burn up motors. Hopefully AR will address this. I can assure you they have paid claims from this and are working on it. The landing gear on the X Star is too narrow and everyone knows it.

I don't care how good you think you are, but putting this bird down always has a little fear when it rocks back and forth.

They could put a swing out leg for stability that folds away for storage.

Reactions: herbl and JerPrin
Just a slight wind gust, a little slope, a bad patch of grass can cause the X Star to tip, tear up blades or burn up motors. Hopefully AR will address this. I can assure you they have paid claims from this and are working on it. The landing gear on the X Star is too narrow and everyone knows it.

I don't care how good you think you are, but putting this bird down always has a little fear when it rocks back and forth.

I totally disagree with your statement.
I have come from the Yuneec Typhoon Q500. When trying to land it would bounce up and down many times before it landed.
This XSP will land no problem, it is very smooth. Make sure you have a good flat surface to land on and your good to go.
My first quad was Dec. 2014 and this one is the easiest I have ever owned.
Get some lessons if you don't know what your doing
Just saying
:)

You disagree...but my statement was a little slope meaning there is no flat ground, it will tip over!

No lessons needed here...just sayin!

OK
but I have not yet had a problem with a little slope. Sorry you are having such troubles. Hope I don't experience the same problems
Maybe you should look at the location you are flying in to better avoid such problems. Get a good landing spot before hand is all I am saying :)

Not having problems at all! I was merely addressing the issues many are having with the landing tip over effect. This is not only centered around AR, but the Phantoms have the same issue. DJI has made a clip on leg extender to address this issue. And DJI stock landing Gear is wider than the X Star.

Please don't try to call someone out and say "they don't know what they are doing!" It's un called for.

slimjimtell: I totally agree with you here.

As stated in my original post here I have not yet flown my Autel, but I have been around several (some very experienced) Phantom pilots and the gear on their machines is the same gear as shown here and also on the Autel. Tip-over can be a problem, mostly fore and aft.

The intent of my post here was simply to call attention to a known issue and offer a possible solution, albeit not a perfect one. There is at least one other reference to this issue here in this forum and a request for a solution, so some others here appear to have experienced similar performance issues.

Until I gain more experience and personal flight time with the X-Star I will keep the "training wheels" on. I would much rather have a bruised ego than torn-up blades and burned out motors.

For others, your mileage may vary!!!

Happy safe flying!

Reactions: brian bwin and dman
So far the only tip-over I've had was toeing out while trying to shut down the engines. I do left-stick only now to shut them down...so far, no more tip-overs.

I am the oldest, ha, ha at 72. I found that landing on flat surfaces and always head the drone facing the wind will always work for me. I do not believe adding weight can enhance the fly experience. Practice, practice, practice, did I say practice?

Got you beat by 2 years. A little help in the early days of practice can still help avoid motor and prop replacement as well as the down time getting the replacements!

Of course it tips over sometimes. It's top heavy. I ordered clip on landing gear from 3D printed drone mods. Should arrive tomorrow.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials