Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Landing Gear Mod

Think I may be one of the younger ones around here it seems. 48

Take your seat. I'll be with you in a few minutes with your meds. :p

Honestly I can see it being retirees that are trying to find a hobby that is fun, easy and have great results in video or photography. Probably a lot of people that have always loved photography.
There's a ton of younger people doing it too though.

Honestly I can see it being retirees that are trying to find a hobby that is fun, easy and have great results in video or photography. Probably a lot of people that have always loved photography.
There's a ton of younger people doing it too though.
After only 68 years of life, I have to agree with you old timers.

I also expect that a lot of young people are attracted more to racing drones & stunts as I would have been 50 years ago. This camera platform is more my speed.

As to the OP's ping-pong balls idea, I'm going to throw a set into my gearbag as a $6 option for rough landing areas where wind, snow or deep grass could jeopardize the bird & possibly encourage the family to take away my Autel keys.

Last edited:
Isn't it great that the conversations are of this maturity level and not a romper room of name calling. At least this 50 year old is glad to see that we can have civil and meaningful discussions even if there are disagreements about a topic. Only problem is I forgot what this thread was about now and had to scroll up...lol.

Oh yeah, tipping over on landings...never had an issue even on slightly uneven ground my XSP lands without issue...but that's the key, to find a takeoff point that is level enough and on landing having good control to not bounce the bird off the ground. I bounced it once, first couple of flights, and told myself not to do that again. If there was ever a case to fly indoors it's training to land softly. Drones this size do not lend themselves to indoor flying too well, but simple takeoff (not using auto takeoff and inadvertently hitting the ceiling fan) and landing practice is worth while and it definitely helped me to fine tune my control around objects. Really helped me to learn how to not over compensate stick movements.

62 here, but Parkinson’s has me moving like I’m 75 (lol)...

I'm a 25 year old trapped in a 72 year old body;).

My Boys tell me that all the time!!!!

I never hang around with people my own age. When I run into a person my own age I can't get over how old they are..... I require more sleep than I used to. Otherwise, I'm game. In a couple weeks I'm going on a three day trip with twenty 30/40 something year olds 4 wheeling offroad buggies. Hope they can keep up!!!

Not having problems at all! I was merely addressing the issues many are having with the landing tip over effect. This is not only centered around AR, but the Phantoms have the same issue. DJI has made a clip on leg extender to address this issue. And DJI stock landing Gear is wider than the X Star.

Please don't try to call someone out and say "they don't know what they are doing!" It's un called for.
According to one of our members who bought the Water Strider flotation device, which is designed for the DJI Phantom, the X Star landing gear is wider. He had to modify the WS making it a little wider so the landing gear would fit properly.

Last edited:
Not having problems at all! I was merely addressing the issues many are having with the landing tip over effect. This is not only centered around AR, but the Phantoms have the same issue. DJI has made a clip on leg extender to address this issue. And DJI stock landing Gear is wider than the X Star.

Please don't try to call someone out and say "they don't know what they are doing!" It's un called for.
Slimjimtell,

I am new to this forum but I have been flying my x-star premium for work and I have the same problem you do with the Drone tipping over. I am flying in some pretty Gusty winds and need the leg extensions because I've torn up several blades doing so. I was flying my drone today taking pictures of a house and had to let the Drone hover until the winds die down enough to where I can land it so that it wouldn't tip over.

And there's no way I'm going to try and catching my drone while the winds are gusting! That's ludicrous!

Reactions: Rawdog
Catch landings are easy. And much easier on the drone than a tip over.

Just hover it about head height. Then gab it by the landing gear and do a toe in with the other hand to shut down. Piece of cake.

The landing gear extenders I bought are from 3D Printed Drone Mods. They work great. Snap on easily and stay on. Not to difficult to remove either. And less tip overs have occurred.

The only time my Drone lands on the ground is if it goes into Critical land mode and I can't get there in time to catch it.

Got you beat by 2 years. A little help in the early days of practice can still help avoid motor and prop replacement as well as the down time getting the replacements!
Im a year behind you but catchin up fast ! Have only landed mine about 6 times so far and no problems !

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials