Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo 2 Dual. My first ever drone (already making mods)

TSL

Reaction score
Ive never owned or flown a drone before but I bought an Evo 2 Dual Rugged Bundle about 10 days ago as my first drone. My needs are specific (wild game recovery and eventual search and rescue) so I bought the rugged kit because of the case. Then I picked up a few extra batteries, Alientech signal booster, Ipad, Silent props, Prop guards, a landing pad, A Vifly beacon, a Lume cube strobe, A couple extra foxfury D3060 lights (it came with the saddle and 2 of the lights but I wanted 2 more and the lume cube on top.). Because the Gimbal cover tab broke off the 5th time I was putting it back on, Im designing and making an improved gimbal cover as well. I expect more mods as time goes on. I will post them in this thread.

Ive flown it a few times am Im currently studying for the part 107 cert but the bulk of the time has been spent designing and making mods to suit my wants.

Mod #1 The rugged case.

Because the thermal imaging drone and all the required gear like extra batteries, launch/landing pad, site lighting, Ipad, etc are approaching 30 pounds and Because deer and bear and other critter carcass locations (and human search and rescue efforts) will likely take place in very remote areas, I wanted a hands free way to transport all the gear in the very rugged case it came in so I added back pack straps so I can hike it in or carry it via ATV . I like the idea of being hands free or using trekking pole when walking the woods at night while wearing a head lamp. this case is very stout so even if I end up like a turtle on its back all the gear will be safe.

iQF8Ry5.jpg

ufPj05J.jpg

VdEXpnX.jpg

906bAJO.jpg

9Kw7U4z.jpg

60JGyRj.jpg

In the short time Ive had this drone Ive learned a lot about accidental button pushes with a fat fingers. So I fired up the CAD station and designed some bumpers to keep unintentional button pushes to a minimum. I made 2 for the bottom of the controller and one for the power switch for the alientech signal booster. A little 3M VHB tape and they are secure.

gz17xi6.jpg

sOgQEAd.jpg

jFpQrSB.jpg

HvEXNSM.jpg

Reactions: Andrew01 and Red-V
Im learning more about this drone each time I fly. I learned that the under clearance of the sensitive gimbal is too low for my tastes. This is the small amount of clearance on a hard surface. The Gimbal is actually touching this AA battery.

WXzEWEo.jpg

That clearance is reduced to zero when the soft landing pad is placed on a soft, snowy or grassy surface. The legs sink into the soft pad and the gimbal bottoms out. I hope to avoid that.

A6zDbjK.jpg

To correct this issue I designed leg extensions that I then made on my 3D printer. At the bottom of each leg I included an adhesive, soft rubber pad. Now the drone will land as softly as a butterfly with sore feet. This improvement only adds about a half Ounce to the air frame.

xFFmLmC.jpg

hVLtlpc.jpg

C0QMwmN.jpg

I had to make a slight modification to the case by enlarging the holes in the padding where the legs fit.

2c81SMN.jpg

Now the drone sits at the same height in the case.

3KZaHwH.jpg

And I nearly tripled the under clearance.

XLci4Qq.jpg

In short order I broke off one of the tabs of the gimbal cover. Im in the process of designing and making an improved cover.

8UVXR9V.jpg

Reactions: Andrew01
Great work and glad you're taking to getting it all setup the way you want and need.

I'll try to get a shot up of where I put my ipad (mini) but it's in the bottom "shelf" of the case in the very lower left compartment. I cut out a small section on the left wall for the ipad to slide into and then cut out a small recess on the right wall so the ipad was held tightly into place in that compartment. I have the prop guards in the larger compartment. You've got a few extra batteries to store so I could see what you wouldn't want to take up that space unless needed.

Would you mind at all sharing the stl files of the extended legs? I have been meaning to try to design some but I've been on other projects right now and haven't had the time. They look stout.

Im learning more about this drone each time I fly. I learned that the under clearance of the sensitive gimbal is too low for my tastes. This is the small amount of clearance on a hard surface. The Gimbal is actually touching this AA battery.

WXzEWEo.jpg

That clearance is reduced to zero when the soft landing pad is placed on a soft, snowy or grassy surface. The legs sink into the soft pad and the gimbal bottoms out. I hope to avoid that.

A6zDbjK.jpg

To correct this issue I designed leg extensions that I then made on my 3D printer. At the bottom of each leg I included an adhesive, soft rubber pad. Now the drone will land as softly as a butterfly with sore feet. This improvement only adds about a half Ounce to the air frame.

xFFmLmC.jpg

hVLtlpc.jpg

C0QMwmN.jpg

I had to make a slight modification to the case by enlarging the holes in the padding where the legs fit.

2c81SMN.jpg

Now the drone sits at the same height in the case.

3KZaHwH.jpg

And I nearly tripled the under clearance.

XLci4Qq.jpg
I sure could use the 3d printed button guards. I'm constantly pressing them. It doesn't hurt anything but it is sure annoying. If I had what you made, then I could actually put those buttons to use.

Reactions: Sjs
Just in case you want something more portable:EVO2_Lowerpro.jpeg

This is Lowepro format BP 150 II. It's smaller than Lowerpro Tahoe BP 150, however it holds: evo2 pro, 4 batteries (one in drone), remote, 8" tablet, tablet holder, sunglasses in hard case, 2 antennas for modified remote, cables, phone. I's much easier to walk with then with hard case, trust me ;)

As mentioned, here's what I did with the bottom are of my rugged bundle to hold guards and an ipad. Hope it helps others out.

IMG_20201224_162837.jpgIMG_20201224_162920.jpg

Reactions: TSL
yes, Ive already made some mods to the interior foam on my rugged case. I even considering scrapping the bottom foam compartment and making my own custom foam insert.

Reactions: MNT DRONE SOLUTIONS
All the components on the Evo 2 controller are nearly 3 pounds. I needed to invent a solution to take the strain off my hands as Im approaching the need for carpal tunnel surgery.

[video]
Could you post the stl files for those controller mounts?

In short order I broke off one of the tabs of the gimbal cover. Im in the process of designing and making an improved cover.

8UVXR9V.jpg

Same issue with my cover - would love to get one of yours.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials