Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Landing Accuracy Issues with New Firmware version: 1.3.3.25

GLEvideo

Reaction score
After downloading and installing the recent firmware in mid January 2019 (version: 1.3.3.25) I have flown my EVO at least three times. Prior to this version of firmware my auto landing accuracy was routinely within two inches from the take-off position. It was amazingly good. Now I'm lucky if it lands within 8 feet of the take-off position. Anyone else experiencing this? I usually have 14 or 15 satellites locked in on the GPS when I fly so I doubt lack of GPS coverage could be blamed.

Format the sd card and reinstall the update. If it doesn’t work, format it again and try installing directly to sad card from pc

Last edited:
I haven't had any issues personally, I second the re-installon of the update.

After downloading and installing the recent firmware in mid January 2019 (version: 1.3.3.25) I have flown my EVO at least three times. Prior to this version of firmware my auto landing accuracy was routinely within two inches from the take-off position. It was amazingly good. Now I'm lucky if it lands within 8 feet of the take-off position. Anyone else experiencing this? I usually have 14 or 15 satellites locked in on the GPS when I fly so I doubt lack of GPS coverage could be blamed.
@GLEvideo always good to re-calibrate the compass after a firmware update.

Reactions: Bulldoggboyz
Formatted the SD card. Downloaded latest firmware again. Copied the .BIN file over to the root of the SD card. Inserted card into quad and booted up the controller and quad and let it load the firmware. Rebooted both controller and quad and then shut down. Went outside to my usual launching place and made three flights. Two out of three auto landings were off by as much as five to six feet. One was off only by about 8 inches. I used to routinely have accuracy within 2 inches. On all three of these flights the quad refused to land but came down to within about two feet of the ground and the controller indicated there was an unknown obstacle and it could not land. Well, the obstacle is the ground...it's supposed to land. The area was clean and clear so I don't know what this new issue is all about. Any ideas? This is my second loading of the new firmware. Landing accuracy is off and now it refuses to land all the way onto the ground.

Did you re-calibrate the compass as a few others have suggested? After I loaded the update I did notice mine wasn't landing as accurate as it had been, but it wasn't off by 5 feet. Mine was only a foot off. I re-calibrated the compass and the gimbal, as I also had a tilted horizon right after the update. I then manually updated each battery even though there wasn't supposed to be any battery update in that firmware package. I figured it was worth a try, as it only takes 5 mins per battery. After that everything was good and I got my accuracy back.

Reactions: jcommstudios
Mine is DBO after the update.

Is everyone using the orange pad to launch from and land on? The reason I asked is, at my house I launch from a sidewalk with grass on either side. When I RTH there, upon landing my display on the controller says "Correcting Landing Position" or something to that effect. It lands within an inch of takeoff every time as it has little to no room for error.
When I fly at my Mom and Dad's, there's a whole bunch of concrete that all looks the same. There a RTH landing will be 12 to 18 inches off sometimes.

Reactions: JTrim and Brig57
Is everyone using the orange pad to launch from and land on? The reason I asked is, at my house I launch from a sidewalk with grass on either side. When I RTH there, upon landing my display on the controller says "Correcting Landing Position" or something to that effect. It lands within an inch of takeoff every time as it has little to no room for error.
When I fly at my Mom and Dad's, there's a whole bunch of concrete that all looks the same. There a RTH landing will be 12 to 18 inches off sometimes.
About a third of the time from my blacktop driveway the rest from the orange pad. Like you said right there within an inch.

I have only used the auto land function once. They day I got the EVO, just to see if it works. It did. You will find that if there is rebar or metal pipe under the concrete, lawn etc. it will effect the GPS. I launch from my front walkway sometimes and get a "magnetic Interference" warning on occasion. The only time I have used the RTH is once when I couldn't find the drone in the air visually! It was behind me.... once back in sight I canceled the RTH via the pause button and landed manually.

The only thing I have noticed since the latest update is an"inaccurate home point" warning when launching! ...But, This has NOT affected the landing precision at all!
Still lands within a foot or so from the take-off point... at worst!
Seems to be a new bug!

Formatted the SD card. Downloaded latest firmware again. Copied the .BIN file over to the root of the SD card. Inserted card into quad and booted up the controller and quad and let it load the firmware. Rebooted both controller and quad and then shut down. Went outside to my usual launching place and made three flights. Two out of three auto landings were off by as much as five to six feet. One was off only by about 8 inches. I used to routinely have accuracy within 2 inches. On all three of these flights the quad refused to land but came down to within about two feet of the ground and the controller indicated there was an unknown obstacle and it could not land. Well, the obstacle is the ground...it's supposed to land. The area was clean and clear so I don't know what this new issue is all about. Any ideas? This is my second loading of the new firmware. Landing accuracy is off and now it refuses to land all the way onto the ground.

Mine does a similar thing. It is never off more than a few inches off . But sometimes it will not land. It will get right over where it took off about 2' feet above the ground. I chalked it up to it must be seeing something moving. Once it did not land on Asphalt but the ground was not totally level. I cant seem to get it to Land on the Orange Landing pad. I think it might be because it is slightly reflective. Have not tried it on an overcast day yet. Seems to be the same on both sides (Blue or Orange)

Mine does a similar thing. It is never off more than a few inches off . But sometimes it will not land. It will get right over where it took off about 2' feet above the ground. I chalked it up to it must be seeing something moving. Once it did not land on Asphalt but the ground was not totally level. I cant seem to get it to Land on the Orange Landing pad. I think it might be because it is slightly reflective. Have not tried it on an overcast day yet. Seems to be the same on both sides (Blue or Orange)

It definitely works better if you have a home pad, with a pattern. It will pick it up much easier
I am shocked if mine is ever off more than an inch. With the exception of when its getting dark, it can be off as much as 3 to4 inches .
l can understand that. It warns you that the l landing area had bad light
PM

Just flew yesterday after a period of not flying and I see the same behavior in terms of landing problems and accuracy on RTH. I've calibrated the compass, and gimbal and have plenty of GPS signal. Accuracy before this firmware upgrade was within inches of the landing pad every single time. Now it's off by 5 or 10 feet AND I always get the warning about "Landing Area Unsafe" too.
Not too happy - I hope they fix these problems in the next release which is in beta now.

Reactions: thomasr
Why can not we go back to the previous version for the firmware on the Evo? It's like a nonsense! There is surely a way to do a general reset and reinstall a previous firware.

There is no way to go back on firmware.
It's ridiculous to give permission to their customers to change the firmware for perhaps a worse and not be able to go back if it's not going well .. It will surely have more return on the guarantee. lol ..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cronos