Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Horizon tilt issue

macoman

Reaction score
I just finished shooting a video. I was excited to record a giant ship coming over the river and the horizon tilt issue appears. I was so disappointed. Then I bring back the aircraft and then take it off again and the camera is fixed by itself.... What is going on?

LETS SEE THE VI
I just finished shooting a video. I was excited to record a giant ship coming over the river and the horizon tilt issue appears. I was so disappointed. Then I bring back the aircraft and then take it off again and the camera is fixed by itself.... What is going on?
Let's see the video! :)

Not Aliens LOL that would be to easy. If you been around these UAV's long enough you see a pattern. One update seems to effect a certain percentage and not anyone else. So another update comes out to fix the certain percentage that are having problems and you end up getting a few more people trapped in the vicious circle of updates. This is where you need really good tech people to get you out of a never ending rut. Hopefully Autel will someday get there.

• Haha
Reactions: Ansia
Give me a few days... I sometimes bring the aircraft to my job to record some nice footage of boats and ships. I usually edit the video on weekends.
What do you do for a living? Sounds exciting. At least more exciting than my job.

Do you guys recommend to contact Autel or wait for the next firmware?

I wrote in another topic my gimbal has been giving issues -- and it has been a problem on and off -- it is quite annoying to say the least.

This was a problem some people were complaining about 2 months ago when I was deciding on purchasing my EVO. The tilt is so random until lately, I just caught on myself.

Autel had me try the BETA - which fixed some things with my issues -- but created a host of others. The gimbal still does what it wants to when it wants to. Its like it drifts/floats at times on it's own. I can yaw around and then back the other way and get it going side to side sometimes... lol The horizon tilt that is -- not the Evo... lol But my tilt seems to be default low and to the left most of the time.

Working on getting all my video together. I have video from the EVO, video from my Android off the app screen, and video of my flight record/visualization I am putting all together on one screen.

These are a few screen shots I have done from a few of my earlier videos.

If its doing it with no wind than I would contact Autel. I can see this happening if there is wind however it should correct itself.

My Yuneec Q500 would have this problem is it wasn't setting level when it was turned on. One of the first things I looked for in my first Evo video was a tilted horizon. Didn't see one.
Took it for a flight on Sunday and the video was tilted. Looked in the settings and there's a calibrate gimbal option. Set it down nice and level and ran the calibration and everything is good now. I'm assuming it wasn't setting flat when I turned it on. With the bird setting crooked it levels the camera out when it's turned on.
Think I'll keep a bubble level in my pickup now

My Yuneec Q500 would have this problem is it wasn't setting level when it was turned on. One of the first things I looked for in my first Evo video was a tilted horizon. Didn't see one.
Took it for a flight on Sunday and the video was tilted. Looked in the settings and there's a calibrate gimbal option. Set it down nice and level and ran the calibration and everything is good now. I'm assuming it wasn't setting flat when I turned it on. With the bird setting crooked it levels the camera out when it's turned on.
Think I'll keep a bubble level in my pickup now
I had done the gimbal calibration numerous times on flat surface and still the horizon is tilted. The crazy thing is that when it's tilted, you bring it to home, descent then take off again and the horizon is back to normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nightbat2
Here is the unedited video:

I am agreeing it is not level. But as it first took off from concrete -- it did for a moment show level...

What I ponder is if the wind was a play... if it is pushing the water -- I know it's pushing the Evo here.

Or could it be hovering so close to the water and lovely concrete - like it had some of your sensors causing this effects. Compass, GPS, Downward radar...

Why was you having to fight it so much to stay pointing "left"?

I am agreeing it is not level. But as it first took off from concrete -- it did for a moment show level...

What I ponder is if the wind was a play... if it is pushing the water -- I know it's pushing the Evo here.

Or could it be hovering so close to the water and lovely concrete - like it had some of your sensors causing this effects. Compass, GPS, Downward radar...

Why was you having to fight it so much to stay pointing "left"?
The reason is that the drone was kind of moving by itself, there was not wind at all... the crazy thing is that I took the evo back in the air after this video and worked without any issue.

The reason is that the drone was kind of moving by itself, there was not wind at all... the crazy thing is that I took the evo back in the air after this video and worked without any issue.

I have to flight test mine again - just waiting on the right condition with little to no wind. Like yours, mine seems to be OK one time and not another. And at times seems more prone to hover just a little too much off, on it's own. I can see this worse when I zoom on subjects.

I suspect mine has a bad GPS sensor based on a bunch of feedback from Autel. They didn't say this - I did.

That's why I need to test it again soon.-- It just does not seem like it is operating within the tolerances they have provided me. And it may not be the GPS, it could be something else mucking things up.

I have to flight test mine again - just waiting on the right condition with little to no wind. Like yours, mine seems to be OK one time and not another. And at times seems more prone to hover just a little too much off, on it's own. I can see this worse when I zoom on subjects.

I suspect mine has a bad GPS sensor based on a bunch of feedback from Autel. They didn't say this - I did.

That's why I need to test it again soon.-- It just does not seem like it is operating within the tolerances they have provided me. And it may not be the GPS, it could be something else mucking things up.
I emailed Autel support, they responded and then sent another email letting know that this issue happens sporadically. Sometimes the camera works fine and another time with this issue of the tilted horizon problem.

Reactions: thomasr

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raeveren