Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Height of waypoints in planned mission

Slacker

Reaction score
I am pulling my hair out and I don’t even have any. When I start a mission the height is 197ft and speed is 11mph on the first point. Let’s say I change that point to 400 feet and 20mph. The next point I create should have those same height and speed settings, right? No matter what my previous point is set at every time I add a new point it goes back to 197/11. If I want a level flight of 400/20 I have to edit every single point to change the numbers. What am I doing wrong? This can’t be the way Autel designed this.

I have a EVO I and that is the way it works..
EVO can't be a mind reader...
You can set a global height, but
You have to tell it what YOU want it to do !

Not very helpful @Atomic08. I am not at all sure why you even responded. But let me see if I can help you help me. You said "you can set a global height". Funny thing is that is pretty much exactly what I asked so can you tell me how? Telling me it can do something when I clearly said I was not able to figure it out is pretty pointless.

Slaker
Maybe this is want you want to do to set global height

Start at 1:53
I'll try and help out if I can
Also maybe watch this one
utel EVO - Advanced Waypoint Mission Planning

For Evo 2 missions, it's possible. For that of Evo 1, this is no longer possible. Normal, the functions have been transferred to the new Evo.
For the 2, at the start of the mission, we have this window where we can put the values that will be put on all the points that will be entered next but we need the Evo 2.
Capture 01.JPGThen all Next the waypoints set will have these values automatically.
Capture 02.JPG

@Atomic08, What you give is for the old version, that of Explorer for Evo 1 (1.0.1.45), this function is no longer in Explorer Evo 1 / Evo 2.

@Atomic08, What you give is for the old version, that of Explorer for Evo 1 (1.0.1.45), this function is no longer in Explorer Evo 1 / Evo 2.
Thanks for the clarification, but that is what I have installed now and what I use !

It seams that everything program wise I have I had to update since I built a new Windows 10 computer and some of the old programs don't play nice with Windows 10. My old Windows 7 programs I got use to !
Pinnacle that I have used forever crashes and I installed Davinci for videos editing and still have not come close to doing what Pinnacle did.
Same thing with my slide show programs, new versions with a completely different interface.
I have been playing with these since Feb and still haven't mastered things!
Probably the same wiht the EVO 2 when i get it !
Sorry for the rant...
and I hope Slaker masters his waypoints!

Slaker
Maybe you could post what EVO you have and what version of Explorer you are using.
Posting in the General Discussions section is vague!
as a positive note...At least YOU have imaginary HAIR ! ?

Sorry for the delayed response. I have an Evo 1 and using Explorer v1.0.1.45 on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8. I have a couple of options on WAYPOINT FLIGHT:

1) Route
2) Mission

When I select ROUTE and pick a start point I can set a height and speed. I discovered that as I put down new points they carry that height/speed setting.

When I select MISSION that does not happen. I pick the start, set height/speed, then add a new point. That new point gets 197 feet and 11mph no matter what I do. I can change it, but the next point I drop defaults to 197/11.

So I guess my needed education is what is a ROUTE and what is a MISSION?

I'll try and explain
I have the same app version as you do and a Samsung galaxy tab A (7"), so we have the same things to work with.
A Mission is the planned EVO flight going from point A to Point B, to the end following a set of turning points (Waypoints)
The Route is the directions the EVO follows the get to the end. The Mission.

Think of it as a person giving you directions to get to their house.
Start at you drive way, turn right, go east 4 blocks, turn left then go 6 blocks and turn right and and so forth.

Each of those "Turns" is a Waypoint on the Route of the Mission ( Directions)
Each of the Waypoints (Turns) is a Lat-Long Coordinate of the earth so the EVO knows where it is.

Each of those Waypoints on the Route can be given parimeters to indicate height, speed, camera action and be saved for future "Missions"

Last edited:
Here is the Mission I did in the above mentioned thread, Post #3
Way point mission
This is showing the MISSION and the ROUTE with the WAYPOINTS the EVO flew

Apr 25, 2020
  • By default the Mission sets the altitude at 197 ft.
    From start the first waypoint would be the minimum altitude you could set of 98 ft.
    You could adjust each waypoint to what ever you want.
    When it gets to the last waypoint, it will do what ever your command is (Hoover, Go Home, Landing,Return to1st Point) and do so.
    Here is one of my first test flights around our house.
    From our backyard to the road at the top we have an elevation rise of about 45ft.
    Trees at our back property line are about 85 ft tall.
    I set the waypoint heights at the following
    S 98' 2 98' 3 110' 4 115' 5 120' 6 125' 7 130' 8 120' 9-11 98'
    Flight description after the photo:

Screenshot_2020-04-25-09-37-26.png

S started EVO and took off and rose to about 12 feet, Opened mission and started flight mission.
    Evo rose to 98 feet and turned to face point 2.
    I adjusted camera angle downward and it flew to point 2.
    Evo stopped and turned to face Point 3.
    Paused and rose to 110' and flew to point 4.
    Paused and rose to 115' turned and flew to Point 5.
    Paused rose then turned to point 6 and flew to point 6.
    At point 6 it paused, rose to 125', turned and flew to point 7.
    At point 7 it paused rose to 130' turned and flew to point 8.
    At point 8 it paused, dropped to 120', turned and flew to point 9.
    At 9 it paused, lowered to 98' and did the same to point 11.
    After point 11 it flew to my home point (Takeoff Point) paused and turned so the back of the EVO was facing me and it landed on my takeoff pad.
    Mission completed.
    I have the video but have not uploaded to youtube.
    I Also want to add that as the EVO approached it next waypoint it slowed down before pausing, very smooth and not jerky.
    I know its long, but I hope this helps !

Here is the Mission I did in the above mentioned thread, Post #3
Way point mission
This is showing the MISSION and the ROUTE with the WAYPOINTS the EVO flew

Apr 25, 2020
  • By default the Mission sets the altitude at 197 ft.
    From start the first waypoint would be the minimum altitude you could set of 98 ft.
    You could adjust each waypoint to what ever you want.
    When it gets to the last waypoint, it will do what ever your command is (Hoover, Go Home, Landing,Return to1st Point) and do so.
    Here is one of my first test flights around our house.
    From our backyard to the road at the top we have an elevation rise of about 45ft.
    Trees at our back property line are about 85 ft tall.
    I set the waypoint heights at the following
    S 98' 2 98' 3 110' 4 115' 5 120' 6 125' 7 130' 8 120' 9-11 98'
    Flight description after the photo:

Screenshot_2020-04-25-09-37-26.png

S started EVO and took off and rose to about 12 feet, Opened mission and started flight mission.
    Evo rose to 98 feet and turned to face point 2.
    I adjusted camera angle downward and it flew to point 2.
    Evo stopped and turned to face Point 3.
    Paused and rose to 110' and flew to point 4.
    Paused and rose to 115' turned and flew to Point 5.
    Paused rose then turned to point 6 and flew to point 6.
    At point 6 it paused, rose to 125', turned and flew to point 7.
    At point 7 it paused rose to 130' turned and flew to point 8.
    At point 8 it paused, dropped to 120', turned and flew to point 9.
    At 9 it paused, lowered to 98' and did the same to point 11.
    After point 11 it flew to my home point (Takeoff Point) paused and turned so the back of the EVO was facing me and it landed on my takeoff pad.
    Mission completed.
    I have the video but have not uploaded to youtube.
    I Also want to add that as the EVO approached it next waypoint it slowed down before pausing, very smooth and not jerky.
    I know its long, but I hope this helps !
Did it turn smoothly in a cinematic manner from one waypoint to the next?

Did it turn smoothly in a cinematic manner from one waypoint to the next?
It didn't do too bad,
I have got some PM's and questions about the same issue.
I'll edit the video (Time wise) and post tomorrow on youtube
That way you all can make your own conclusions

parkgt..
Here is a quick video I made of that mission
Let me know what you think about the turns !

parkgt..
Here is a quick video I made of that mission
Let me know what you think about the turns !

For inspection or photography it is probably fine. On the other hand unfortunately it is not smooth enough for cinematic filming. Smooth interpolated transitions in pitch, yaw and elevation between waypoints or POIs is needed for filming.

It sure would be nice if Litchi could convince themselves there was enough money to be made from Autel owners that they would support the platform. I doubt that Autel has the resources in house to do much more with their WP app.

For inspection or photography it is probably fine. On the other hand unfortunately it is not smooth enough for cinematic filming. Smooth interpolated transitions in pitch, yaw and elevation between waypoints or POIs is needed for filming.

It sure would be nice if Litchi could convince themselves there was enough money to be made from Autel owners that they would support the platform. I doubt that Autel has the resources in house to do much more with their WP app.
So it appears from comments here that the Evo I software has been downgraded. This is a bad thing. Has anyone from Autel said that they are going to fix software for the Evo I going forward? That is, will we at least get back functions that they took out?
I find it offensive that Autel concentrates only on the Evo II and actually takes things out of the Evo I capabilities. It smacks of manipulation. It might be innocent mistakes, but I think Autel owes the community some good will by continuing to actively support Evo I owners. Otherwise, all the Evo I owners will think twice before deciding on their next drone platform.

So it appears from comments here that the Evo I software has been downgraded. This is a bad thing. Has anyone from Autel said that they are going to fix software for the Evo I going forward? That is, will we at least get back functions that they took out?
I find it offensive that Autel concentrates only on the Evo II and actually takes things out of the Evo I capabilities. It smacks of manipulation. It might be innocent mistakes, but I think Autel owes the community some good will by continuing to actively support Evo I owners. Otherwise, all the Evo I owners will think twice before deciding on their next drone platform.
This is the second round of that. The XSP owners felt the same when the EVO 1 came out.

Second round? Meaning that the XSP owners did or did not get their software fixed in the long run?
Meaning all the promises of what they were going to get went to the wayside when the EVO came out. Like the interchangeable camera with the FLIR and 1 inch sensor, retracting legs etc... The software was worked out but the other promise of releasing the sdk never happened so there was zero developers contributing.
All you have to do with the EVO 1 if you're using android is reinstall the last app before they combined the two. 1.1.0.45

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Kelly