Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Heath & new FW

No he has his own facebook group. The Drone Age- Sharing and Info
They already had one update to the beta and for what ever reason are not happy with it so they are waiting on a third update.

This firmware situation is just about the worst case of Analysis Paralysis I've ever seen for a company. Frankly, it's flat out unbelievable. This bizarre excuse of seeking perfection to the point that the drone will likely be obsolete, or the company's doors shuttered, before the mythical software can get released has gotten laughable. As I've said before, I don't believe the new firmware will ever get released to the general public. Extremely disappointing, and they're killing their own product. I'm really not sure what the real rationale is for stringing everyone along - perhaps they're thinking that the appearance of working on updates will salvage at least some sales before the line is abruptly shut down? But I certainly don't believe it's because Autel is on some sort of gallant hunt for "absolute perfection" for the user's benefit.

The reality is, the X-Star is operating on the original firmware from when it was released. I've owned my XSP since July 2016, and FW 1.1.3 is the original firmware that shipped with mine. In my case, I was lucky enough to download and install 1.2.8 on my bird during the few days it was available in September 2016, before they rolled it back to 1.1.3. But the vast majority of users have never seen an update.

One of the benefits of 1.2.8 is that they fixed the issue where the camera's vertical pan was not smooth. Any time you panned the camera up or down, the camera hesitated at about the 45 degree point - the slower the pan, the more noticeable the "hitch". Unacceptable for commercial grade video use. So for me, at least 1.2.8 made the XSP usable for videography for my business.

I was burned twice in the last couple years: once by a large company that bought the business that I was working for, and once by Skully helmets. In both cases, promises about time frames were made, those promises were broken, updated promises were made, those were also broken, strange excuses were made, key people left, things that didn't make sense happened, yet all public communication was up-beat, positive, and indicating that "all is well". And then...the doors were shut.

Unfortunately, this whole firmware thing feels very, *very* similar to those two situations.

I'm bummed because I love rooting for the underdog (and I love *being* the underdog and winning!). Autel has a great initial product. But, it's un-thinkable (to me) that a simple firmware update would take a year. Come on. Really?

Something else is going on behind the scenes; all the signs are pointing to them shutting down. I truly hope I'm eating crow soon; I'd be *happy* to be wrong!

Reactions: AirmetTango
I was burned twice in the last couple years: once by a large company that bought the business that I was working for, and once by Skully helmets. In both cases, promises about time frames were made, those promises were broken, updated promises were made, those were also broken, strange excuses were made, key people left, things that didn't make sense happened, yet all public communication was up-beat, positive, and indicating that "all is well". And then...the doors were shut.

Unfortunately, this whole firmware thing feels very, *very* similar to those two situations.

Yes, it's unfortunately an extremely common narrative for small, struggling companies. The pattern here is precisely the same.

I'm bummed because I love rooting for the underdog (and I love *being* the underdog and winning!). Autel has a great initial product. But, it's un-thinkable (to me) that a simple firmware update would take a year. Come on. Really?

Something else is going on behind the scenes; all the signs are pointing to them shutting down. I truly hope I'm eating crow soon; I'd be *happy* to be wrong!

Agreed, on all of this - and I hope to be proved completely wrong, too. Chances are extremely high we aren't - not trying to be pessimistic, just realistic.

Cough cough Ooooo I feel faint. I'm coming with you I think old bamma dude. Stones will read they waited it out all the way to the end.

Cough cough Ooooo I feel faint. I'm coming with you I think old bamma dude. Stones will read they waited it out all the way to the end.
Why don't you fly out there and see if can spot that slow boat? Hey, I'm just glad I got my "app disconnected" problem figured out, that was aggravating the fire out of me.

My humble theory is that they are completely redesigning the firmware in order to protect themselves from yet another DJI lawsuit. It worries me a little that for the beta test they sent out new hardware to the testers. I have a nagging suspicion that there may be a hardware issue that doesn't play well with the new firmware. Really hope I am wrong.

One of the benefits of 1.2.8 is that they fixed the issue where the camera's vertical pan was not smooth. Any time you panned the camera up or down, the camera hesitated at about the 45 degree point - the slower the pan, the more noticeable the "hitch".

In AirmetTango's post he mentioned a problem with a problem with the pan up and down on the camera with the first firmware. This was before I had bought my XST so I have not noticed this problem but with all the posts Heath has made about the firmware and it needed a few small tweaks he did mention the gimble. So maybe this problem has come back again.

I've not noticed a problem with up and down pan either, I would like to know this, however. I haven't really searched this in the manual, but is there an adjustment to make the camera tilt a little more upward?

I've not noticed a problem with up and down pan either, I would like to know this, however. I haven't really searched this in the manual, but is there an adjustment to make the camera tilt a little more upward?

No, just the speed adjustment is all you have for the up and down. Some people have asked for it, not sure if it is possible even.

I was noticing last night you can manually move it higher, so it's not physically locked at that forward facing position. I know if you went too high, you would see the props or frame, but there are times when I would like to see a little higher, like early in the morning when the moon is still visible, or looking up at some clouds.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juan.t