Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Headless control

Peter Goldwing

Reaction score
My inexpensive SJRC drone has a function called headless.
When set the drone will go away from you when you move the right stick forward, come to you then you pull the stick towards you regardless what direction the drone faces. Same for left and right. This is valid while you face the drone without turning

Does Evo do that?
We could use this function when we send it away in a straight line but could turn it so the camera faces whatever point we desire.

Second thing Im wondering about is if in practice someone can fly a drone forward by pressing the right stick forward then slightly yaw to the right more and more while moving the right stick towards the the left gradually thus ending flying a straight line with the drone going sideways.
Theoretically , I think it is doable

The headless function used to work on the Autel X-Star and for some reason they removed it. I don't believe they have ever brought it back. It was a great tool for flying straight when in tight places.

You can do it, but in a derivative way using the Waypoints function with 2 or three points in a straight line.
- 1the starting point, 2 the furthest point. Return requested at home point after arrival at point 2.
- 1the starting point, 2 the furthest point, 3 the return point near you.
For the camera, you choose free mode so that you can control the angle with the left stick (right-left mode 2).
You set a minimum speed, for example 5 km / h and you can also increase or decrease the speed with the right stick (up-down mode 2).

My inexpensive SJRC drone has a function called headless.
When set the drone will go away from you when you move the right stick forward, come to you then you pull the stick towards you regardless what direction the drone faces. Same for left and right. This is valid while you face the drone without turning

Does Evo do that?
We could use this function when we send it away in a straight line but could turn it so the camera faces whatever point we desire.

Second thing Im wondering about is if in practice someone can fly a drone forward by pressing the right stick forward then slightly yaw to the right more and more while moving the right stick towards the the left gradually thus ending flying a straight line with the drone going sideways.
Theoretically , I think it is doable
I used it a lot and missed it when I upgraded to my EVO

Reactions: Tufargon
I used it a lot and missed it when I upgraded to my EVO
Pretty mesmerizing. Probably partially because of the music but it was like a dance. Looks like a great practice routine.

Yes, but it is not the rotation of the drone while remaining on a completely straight line.
This rotation changes the direction the drone takes but does not stay in a straight line.
This is not what our friend is asking for.

Yes, but it is not the rotation of the drone while remaining on a completely straight line.
This rotation changes the direction the drone takes but does not stay in a straight line.
This is not what our friend is asking for.
I think he was just showing what the possibilities it can do in headless mode.

When flying headless holding the right stick on any point going away from you will keep the drone flying in a straight line. Turning the drone with the left stick will have no effect on the drone flying straight. So you can fly sideways or backwards if you want The drone will still keep its straight line.

When flying headless holding the right stick on any point going away from you will keep the drone flying in a straight line. Turning the drone with the left stick will have no effect on the drone flying straight. So you can fly sideways or backwards if you want The drone will still keep its straight line.
Yes. For easier understanding lets say you face North with the drone in front of you while you set the headless mode.
After it is set it does not matter how you turn ., pushing the stick away will fly the drone towards North, pushing it left will fly West.

If you go to the other side of the drone the directional control will be totally reversed

I forget which one they did away with but the X-Star had a switch on the controller. This would but the UAV into what was called (IOC) intelligent orientation control.Screenshot (9)-gigapixel-scale-4x.png

Reactions: Tufargon

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain