Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

h264 vs h265 and best apple rendering codex for FCPX

kev

Reaction score
Ive been shooting in h265, 60 fps, the frame rate matches my cinematic video I often use together with my drone footage. What has been found to be the best apple codec to render with the setting up the project? I've tried Apple prores 422 and 422 LT but both produce jumpy video, skipping frames, even after re-rendering the clip. I appreciate any suggestions.

Last edited:
Ive been shooting in h265, 60 fps, the frame rate matches my cinematic video I often use together with my drone footage. What has been found to be the best apple codec to render with the setting up the project? I've tried Apple prores 422 and 422 LT but both produce jumpy video, skipping frames, even after re-rendering the clip. I appreciate any suggestions.

I use a Windows PC and Davinci Resolve, but if I am posting straight to YouTube then I use H.265 4K 30FPS 16Mb/s bitrate. Converting an H.264 or H.265 source video to ProRes won't increase the quality since you can't add pixels, DR, and quality that didn't exist in the source footage so it doesn't make sense to transcode unless you are just doing it to get an editable codec, The delivery codec should be either H.264 if you are sending to a client or H.265 with my recommended settings if you are sending to YouTube or other online video platforms. If your video has tons of motion and effects then you might want to bump the bitrate up to 35Mb/s but for the content I shoot, 16Mb/s works for me and keeps the file sizes somewhat reasonable.

Reactions: kev

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marshall@DRONE