Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Future EVO Owner, need help !!!

elguapo

Reaction score
The delayed and/or lack of response from DJI's customer service plus all of the recent flight restrictions are the deal breakers that are making me switch to the Autel EVO.

I am also familiar with all of the specs of this drone. Plus I have been reading all of the reviews online, and following discussions in this forum for known issues and firmware fixes. After watching a few youtube videos on comparisons of the EVO with the DJI Mavic 2 Pro / Zoom I am convinced that this is the drone I want except for one thing. There is something that is holding me from making a purchase and this is the area where I need the help of ALL EVO pilots in this forum.
I have seen extensive footage on youtube taken with the EVO and in many cases I see the propellers at the top of the screen. How can I keep this from happening?.
It is obviously something not easy to remove in post on a video. Even if it is, the intent is not to spend extensive amount of time post processing a picture or a video. I have a decent amount of experience editing videos from the Inspire 2 when working under part 107, work flow or post processing experience is not an issue here. Occasionally I like to shoot in LOG color profile and apply LUT in post but not all of the time.

I guess what I am trying to convey here is that the props at the top of the screen of the some of the videos I've seen are bugging me, and this is the reason I am holding off in buying this drone. What is the recommendation in this regard?. Maybe a firmware update has been or will be released that takes of this?.

I am not claiming, in any way, to be a professional but I want my personal videos and pictures to look as nice as possible.

I saw props in a shot for the first time on my Evo just this last weekend, but was fixed by a gimbal calibration.

There are two things you can do to help minimize/eliminate the issue.

1. Tilt the gimbal down a smidge.
2. Slow down.

1 and 2 kind of go together. The time(s) you are most likely to see props in your shot are if you have the gimbal at its highest point or if the drone is at a bigger angle. That angle can be caused by the speed you're going at or fighting strong winds.

With a calibrated gimbal I've never seen props in my videos. YMMV, but it isn't a huge issue if it is an issue at all from my experience with the Evo.

Welcome to the dark (orange) side.

The reason the propellers show in the footage, is because of the Evo's big FOV. it is a design flaw. What Autel recommends is that you tilt your camera some 12 degrees and that should take care of your problem.

The delayed and/or lack of response from DJI's customer service plus all of the recent flight restrictions are the deal breakers that are making me switch to the Autel EVO.

I am also familiar with all of the specs of this drone. Plus I have been reading all of the reviews online, and following discussions in this forum for known issues and firmware fixes. After watching a few youtube videos on comparisons of the EVO with the DJI Mavic 2 Pro / Zoom I am convinced that this is the drone I want except for one thing. There is something that is holding me from making a purchase and this is the area where I need the help of ALL EVO pilots in this forum.
I have seen extensive footage on youtube taken with the EVO and in many cases I see the propellers at the top of the screen. How can I keep this from happening?.
It is obviously something not easy to remove in post on a video. Even if it is, the intent is not to spend extensive amount of time post processing a picture or a video. I have a decent amount of experience editing videos from the Inspire 2 when working under part 107, work flow or post processing experience is not an issue here. Occasionally I like to shoot in LOG color profile and apply LUT in post but not all of the time.

I guess what I am trying to convey here is that the props at the top of the screen of the some of the videos I've seen are bugging me, and this is the reason I am holding off in buying this drone. What is the recommendation in this regard?. Maybe a firmware update has been or will be released that takes of this?.

I am not claiming, in any way, to be a professional but I want my personal videos and pictures to look as nice as possible.

Don't freak out! It's a blessing in disguise honestly. Like everyone said above, the FOV is either a blessing or curse. Either way, though, you'd be able to work around this "issue"...

You will be fine... something I will suggest you to consider is that M2P and Zoom both have gimbals that pan, EVO just pans the entire drone... some may think this is worth the extra $500.00 initial cost (i.e. before all of the accessories).

Let us know which you finally get! Either way, I think you will not be dissatisfied with EVO.

Don't freak out! It's a blessing in disguise honestly. Like everyone said above, the FOV is either a blessing or curse. Either way, though, you'd be able to work around this "issue"...

You will be fine... something I will suggest you to consider is that M2P and Zoom both have gimbals that pan, EVO just pans the entire drone... some may think this is worth the extra $500.00 initial cost (i.e. before all of the accessories).

Let us know which you finally get! Either way, I think you will not be dissatisfied with EVO.
I would pay the $500 for ocusync. It's just that good. I got the Evo, because my Phantom already has Ocusync and wanted something different and with no Geofencing without modding.

I would pay the $500 for ocusync. It's just that good. I got the Evo, because my Phantom already has Ocusync and wanted something different and with no Geofencing without modding.

How is Ocusync 2.0 worth that extra $500, Ansia?

As a formed Mavic Pro owner, I have to agree with the masses, that not having the flight restrictions set by DJI, was enough for me to sell my Mavic Pro and seriously consider going with the EVO. Anyone experience issues with NFZ's ? In Florida we have lots of beaches, though if there anywhere near a small AP, or area deemed as a NFZ by DJI, you can't get off the ground. :(

How is Ocusync 2.0 worth that extra $500, Ansia?
The ability to switch between 2.4ghz to 5.8ghz. The way it does channel hopping, the really small latency, etc. Having flown wifi, lightbridge, ocusync, and other variants you can really appreciate the value of a good steady signal.

I understand that not everyone will see things the way I see them, but I am willing to pay the extra $500 for it. One thing I dislike about the Evo is the constant antenna adjusting that is required during a flight and the poor reception when obstacles come between us. With ocusync 2.0 I have flown with a concrete structure between us and keep a smooth signal all the way.

The ability to switch between 2.4ghz to 5.8ghz. The way it does channel hopping, the really small latency, etc. Having flown wifi, lightbridge, ocusync, and other variants you can really appreciate the value of a good steady signal.

I understand that not everyone will see things the way I see them, but I am willing to pay the extra $500 for it. One thing I dislike about the Evo is the constant antenna adjusting that is required during a flight and the poor reception when obstacles come between us. With ocusync 2.0 I have flown with a concrete structure between us and keep a smooth signal all the way.

All sound like great benefits! Honestly, depends on one's preference, Evo is a good starting point... when EVO 2 comes out, we can expect it to be even better!

:)

Reactions: Ansia

Auto channel width would help the Evo go a little further in the congested radio band it flies in. Agree occusync 2.0 is night and day difference to both occusync 1.0 and whatever autel is using. The variable channel width on occusync 1.0 I think is what gives mavic 1 the edge over the Evo in signal quality. Evo is not bad tho, a close second.

Reactions: Ansia
Auto channel width would help the Evo go a little further in the congested radio band it flies in. Agree occusync 2.0 is night and day difference to both occusync 1.0 and whatever autel is using. The variable channel width on occusync 1.0 I think is what gives mavic 1 the edge over the Evo in signal quality. Evo is not bad tho, a close second.

Can certainly agree with your statement.

Everyone answered your questions about props in the shot. And DJI geofencing.

But let's mention Alejandro and the rest of the crew at Autel that respond within hours.

They are awesome. They love what they do and they love their customer base. DJI doesn't.

Everyone answered your questions about props in the shot. And DJI geofencing.

But let's mention Alejandro and the rest of the crew at Autel that respond within hours.

They are awesome. They love what they do and they love their customer base. DJI doesn't.
They don't love me! When I asked them if I was pretty, they said they couldn't comment on it. I even sent them my best photo! ?

Reactions: Tufargon
I've flown EVO for many hours and not once have I seen props. It's pretty simple. Don't fly too fast in forward direction. Another way to cover ground from a high altitude is to record at 24fps, not a slow motion frame rate.

I've flown EVO for many hours and not once have I seen props. It's pretty simple. Don't fly too fast in forward direction. Another way to cover ground from a high altitude is to record at 24fps, not a slow motion frame rate.
Also, use a slower shutter speed.... double your frame rate. 30 FPS= 1:60 shutter speed. Use ND filters to slow your shutter speed down and you will get a nice cinematic "blur" which essentially "hides" your props in your video

Also, use a slower shutter speed.... double your frame rate. 30 FPS= 1:60 shutter speed. Use ND filters to slow your shutter speed down and you will get a nice cinematic "blur" which essentially "hides" your props in your video
Simplest way to eliminate the prop intrusion - lower the camera view about 10 degrees. You usually don't need this much sky (unless you're a crazed flier in a canyon somewhere <grin>)

Reactions: Madhungarian
Simplest way to eliminate the prop intrusion - lower the camera view about 10 degrees. You usually don't need this much sky (unless you're a crazed flier in a canyon somewhere <grin>)
I don't even realize the props until I get home and watch it on the PC, I am too involved in whatever area I am flying.

I am impressed with the EVO's range and signal strength. My very first flight I forgot to unfold the antennas. I flew to its preset maximum 1600' I never lost signal, or video feed. I have not changed the defaults for distance or height. I am very pleased over the old Hubsan H501ss and the H501A I have.

I use filters when flying and rarely ever see Props in my videos. The gimbal is normally always at 0 degrees. I am very pleased with the product for the price. I have never owned a DJI product, but it was EVO for me over all the restrictions and forced updates. I have had my EVO since December and flown it maybe 20 times, and every time it has been flawless.

Yeah, that's a good idea. You could actually get away with 1/40 shutter speed at high altitudes.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonhenkelman