Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Former DJI Owner Thoughts

How do you rate the Autel X-Star in comparison to the DJI Phantom

• Everything about the X-Star is better than the Phantom!

• Some things are better than a Phantom, some things are worse.

• The X-Star can't compare to the DJI Phantom yet.

Results are only viewable after voting.

LuvMyTJ

Admin
Reaction score
I am curious about the comparisons from former or current DJI Phantom owners and the Autel X-Star. Has Autel nailed it? Or are they on the right track but not quite up to the Phantom offerings? Whats your thoughts?

It's a great aircraft and pretty impressive for the short amount of time the X-Star has been in existence. Autel has also added a lot of nice features that are not found in DJI aircraft. However, they are still pretty far behind the current offerings of the Phantom. Check out some of the missing features here.

if you compare autel first drone knocked it out of the park not seeing stress cracks or fly aways compare to dji hard to they have been around longer .compare there first p1 to autel first not even close so much better .autel next one should blow doors of dji from info I'm getting from source

if you compare autel first drone knocked it out of the park not seeing stress cracks or fly aways compare to dji hard to they have been around longer .compare there first p1 to autel first not even close so much better .autel next one should blow doors of dji from info I'm getting from source

What's the timeframe that you're hearing?

I'm no fanboy of either platform and try to point out weakness and strengthens of both. I would agree with both msinger and paul's opinions. The X-Star is NOT a Phantom.. yet, but if you were to compare the X-Star with the P1 (although it's not really a fair comparison for obvious reasons) Autel made a big impression for it's first drone offering. They did indeed get a lot of things right.

I do have concerns about Autel's ability to refine/improve this iteration. There are obviously area's of the platform they are unable to refine/improve as I found out with the camera. So are there other area's they cannot, I certainly hope not, but I guess this question will be answered over time.

Comparisons to the DJI P1 is not a comparison at all... the P1 was released in 2013. I am interested in comparing it with what is current. I am considering adding another to my "nest" and the X-Star is one of those I am considering.

Comparisons to the DJI P1 is not a comparison at all... the P1 was released in 2013. I am interested in comparing it with what is current. I am considering adding another to my "nest" and the X-Star is one of those I am considering.
get one you will see how different it is once you have it .you will see why I really talk good about it

As a hobbyist living in the Land down Under and being an owner of phantoms, I can honestly say this is great. I much prefer flying this than the phantoms. every time I would fly my phantoms, I always had a fear of a flyaway and it did happen on 3 different occasions. 2 of those times it was found and once just hopelessly watching it heading back to China over the ocean. I have no fear when I fly the Premium, the thought of it taking off does not enter my mind and that makes for a much better experience. The controller has all the right buttons. Love the fact that I can press the pause button at anytime and it will just stop! That's a great button to have if things go wrong. The camera is just brilliant quality. Much better results than my Phantom gave. So with better out of the box video, it equates to better watchable product. Solid build can take much more punishment that the Phantoms, infact there is no arguing that the Autel would come out in front in a hard crash (referring to the shell here ok) Not to mention the Phantoms are still having crack issues and people knowing that are still buying them... go figure.
Price... well Here in Australia everything is much more expensive. So to compare... the P4 is $2100.00 just as a standard kit form and the Phantom 3 pro is $1699.00 where as the Autel cost me all up delivered to my door in Australia $1020.00 (that's including the exchange rate) That is very cheap for something so good. and the Autel does not throw in free shell cracks thank god.
Then you have customer service...... REALLY !! do you need me to tell you the difference guys?
I had a battery failure on my phantom 2 (way before autel was being created) Brand new 3 weeks old and a top of the line gopro setup. It was hovering 40 feet up. fell out of the sky and smashed itself into pieces, the only survivor was my gopro still recording when I got to it. So took it to the DJI repairers as instructed and was told it was pilot error. I did not show them the video as I knew that would save me later, and it did. Long story short, I got a full refund and if I did not have the video I would have lost out totally. I will say though, at the time they had no intention of replacing it and they knew I would not have a chance in hell of proving it was not pilot error.

Had my rant now back to having fun with this beast.

Last edited:
That was a helpful post but I just can't decide which to buy and hoping anyone with experience with the Phantom 3 Advanced and the Autel X-Star Premium can help. I'm fairly new to the quads but I've been practicing on a Dromida Ominus and have become fairly proficient with it and want to step up. The price difference is not a consideration. I'm not big into the video and photo capabilities of these two but will be in the future. I know the Phantoms have been around for awhile so I am assuming the construction and components are well tested and of good quality but how does the X-Star compare in this aspect? I like that with the Phantom I can charge multiple batteries at the same time which I wouldn't be able to do with the X-Star, is that much of a factor in deciding? Watching the videos that compare the two, it seems like the Phantom responds quicker with no drift and has more stable auto take off and land compared to the X-Star, should that be something to consider? Last, which one in your opinions has a more reliable radio frequency?
Thanks for any input or advise.

the build quality is much better than dji customer support is way better dji customer support is awfull also I have had my x star since day one they came out haven't had any problems get around 3 miles distance stock having both kinds hands down xstar over dji any day of the week

Attachments

• 20160427_164453.jpg
    20160427_164453.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 16

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials