Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Fitting Smart Controller to Rugged Case

Yet another update. I ordered a couple different sizes, but the McMaster-Carr #99607A266 thumb screws, 12mm long..along with a washer...are perfect for quickly putting the removed handle back on. I wasn't sure how often I'd need the handle...but wanted the ability to put it back if needed.

So, until a better mousetrap is built for a case or replacement foam to fit the rugged bundle...this is my work-around.

Attachments

• IMG_9139.JPG
    IMG_9139.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
Brilliant!

My local DIY store in the UK apparently has no idea what a "McMaster-Carr #99607A266" is ?

Can you share any other dimensions for those screws / bolts please @MattMPA ?

Brilliant!

My local DIY store in the UK apparently has no idea what a "McMaster-Carr #99607A266" is ?

Can you share any other dimensions for those screws / bolts please @MattMPA ?
Absolutely!! Here's the dimension graphic from their site. My only option was stainless steel.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 6.36.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 6.36.19 PM.png
    178 KB · Views: 19
Link to the above listed McMaster-Carr #99607A266 thumb screws size M2.5 × 0.45 mm:

Last edited:
Reactions: edgardcafe
Link to the above listed McMaster-Carr #99607A266 thumb screws size 10-24:

Just a heads-up...you DO NOT want 10-24...you want the metric 2.5mm .45 pitch...the part # I listed is correct...

I have the two layer rugged case, with the 2 full layers. Meaning, not the one for the Lifthor.

If the handle of the S/C is removed, it will fit in the lower level. I figure I can notch the bottom of the top layer for the joysticks to clear.

I also cannot tell how thick the very bottom layer of foam may be, but I don't think it's deep enough for the handle.

Glad for your thoughts.
If you slide to S/C all the way to the right, remove joysticks, turn upside down and notch the top level to fit the handle it will fit in nicely.

If you slide to S/C all the way to the right, remove joysticks, turn upside down and notch the top level to fit the handle it will fit in nicely.
Do you have the bracket facing up on the right side of the case (from the perspective of facing into the case from the handle)? Thanks.

Interesting. I preferred to leave the sticks on...

Do you have the bracket facing up on the right side of the case (from the perspective of facing into the case from the handle)? Thanks.
Bracket is running front to back of case with bottom of controller against right edge of case. You don’t have to cut all the way through top layer for it to fit.
notch it at the angle the handle is going.

Reactions: mshmovie
It looks ? good, nice job!!! Is the Nanuk case? which size?
Thanks. I still have to glue a thin layer of foam on top to prevent the pick-and-pluck from coming apart.

It's an Apache 4800 from Harbor Freight. I think I paid USD $60.00 for it. Something like that. It should do the job well enough, though.

As for the SC itself, mixed feelings. It seems well-built; but the screen is choppy (though very bright and sharp), and the sound is inaudible unless you happen to be at a Quaker funeral. But Evan (at Autel Support) and I had just spend three hours getting the thing to work, so maybe the screen is choppy because it needs to rebuild its caches or something.

As for the SC itself, mixed feelings. It seems well-built; but the screen is choppy (though very bright and sharp), and the sound is inaudible unless you happen to be at a Quaker funeral. But Evan (at Autel Support) and I had just spend three hours getting the thing to work, so maybe the screen is choppy because it needs to rebuild its caches or something.
Hi, can you elaborate on the screen choppiness you're seeing? Choppy as in skipped frames? Is it only during flight? Video playback? Thanks.

I added another nook. Or maybe it's a cranny.

View attachment 11083

There seems to be a consensus at the University of YouTube that Plasti-Dip is the key to keeping the pick-and-pluck together. Maybe I'll give it a try.
Looking good! Makes me want to consider doing the same. I've already done a few cases for equipment and enjoy the project. My OCD needs all my gear in one case..

I've never done the plastic-dip thing, always the foam. I was concerned about how well it could be masked, etc. I'll be watching your progress.

Reactions: GeekOnTheWing
Hi, can you elaborate on the screen choppiness you're seeing? Choppy as in skipped frames? Is it only during flight? Video playback? Thanks.
It's just not smooth. Yeah, I guess skipped frames would be a good way to describe it. It doesn't seem to be an RF issue. But as I said in another post, I've encountered this in Android devices before after flashing the ROM, so I wouldn't be surprised if it clears itself up.

I've only seen it when flying, mainly when panning. I wasn't aware that the SC could do playback (playback of what?).

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blindhout