Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO - Ludicrous Mode Quick Heads up !

SD_PIlot

Reaction score
For those new to flying the EVO be careful in "Ludicrous Mode". I flipped the tab on the control flight to Ludicrous mode and flew to about 7,ooo ft.

All went well; incredibly fast too at about between 42-46 mph however it loses altitude when going that fast. I was flying over water but luckily kept an eye on the dash telemetry and quickly hit the stick to ascent to higher altitude.

It decreased about 20 feet or so if lower then . it definitely would've hit the water. Luckily saved it from disaster.

I just wanted to put this info out there in case someone didn't know.

Notice the update FW removed the red line in the map box connecting to the drone. Bummer as I liked using the tow to bring it back when in unknown territory. Oh well I'll used RTH if need be.

Reactions: 399AGL and Tufargon
For those new to flying the EVO be careful in "Ludicrous Mode". I flipped the tab on the control flight to Ludicrous mode and flew to about 7,ooo ft.

All went well; incredibly fast too at about between 42-46 mph however it loses altitude when going that fast. I was flying over water but luckily kept an eye on the dash telemetry and quickly hit the stick to ascent to higher altitude.

It decreased about 20 feet or so if lower then . it definitely would've hit the water. Luckily saved it from disaster.

I just wanted to put this info out there in case someone didn't know.

Notice the update FW removed the red line in the map box connecting to the drone. Bummer as I liked using the tow to bring it back when in unknown territory. Oh well I'll used RTH if need be.
Thanks for the info. 20 feet is a lot!

Ludicrous mode has it's purposes. I did a flight earlier today for @jcommstudios where I had to fly in 29mph winds. If I didn't have ludicrous, my Evo would have been taken away. Here is the post with the video.

Ludicrous mode has it's purposes. I did a flight earlier today for @jcommstudios where I had to fly in 29mph winds. If I didn't have ludicrous, my Evo would have been taken away. Here is the post with the video.

Bro you have cojones to fly on 29mph wind... Maximum that I can fly is 15mph.

Bro you have cojones to fly on 29mph wind... Maximum that I can fly is 15mph.
I had to fly for work in a wind tunnel with speeds faster than that. So it got me thinking, if my Phantom can fly in winds 29+ mph, why won't the Evo.

I was impressed that the Evo was steady against the wind, but it would not move forward. It was amusing watching the Evo flying straight with a 25-30° roll angle and if you watch the video, the horizon tilt wasn't that pronounced.

Reactions: macoman
This happens to me exactly. I was flying over water at 210 feet when I turned on Ludicrous mode. It decended to 65 feet in about 36 seconds. Good thing I caught it, slowed down and raised it.

This happens to me exactly. I was flying over water at 210 feet when I turned on Ludicrous mode. It decended to 65 feet in about 36 seconds. Good thing I caught it, slowed down and raised it.
Is this a feature or a bug then? Seems like a major flaw.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Is this a feature or a bug then? Seems like a major flaw.
No. It's normal. When the Evo pitchs to achieve it's 42mph, the wind pushes down on the Evo, causing it to descend. If you press throttle at the same time as going forward, you can prevent the Evo from losing altitude.

DJI's Mavic doesn't do this, because they programmed it to automatically throttle up to prevent loss of altitude.

Honestly the only drone i've ever flew was the XSP and it really does the same thing with mine.

DJI's Mavic doesn't do this, because they programmed it to automatically throttle up to prevent loss of altitude.

That means Autel can easily fix it with a software / firmware upgrade. Autel needs to hire better programmers.

Reactions: TravisPNW
During the first 40 seconds of this video tutorial Autel explains it will lose Alt. and why.
Personally I bought a flying photo\video platform not a racing machine so I would have no use for it.

Agree... I would have bought a racing drone if I want a super fast drone... I bought the Evo because of the awesome camera and stability like a DJI but without the restrictions of DJI drones.

Agree... I would have bought a racing drone if I want a super fast drone... I bought the Evo because of the awesome camera and stability like a DJI but without the restrictions of DJI drones.

My thoughts exactly. I went to the dog park this past weekend and took the Evo... and while it is in Seatac (near the airport, I could see planes coming in a few miles away) I haven't actually measured the distance to see if it was 5 miles.

Evo was giving me repeated "fly carefully, altitude restricted area" messages. Somehow I think if I was with DJI I'd have been grounded.

No. It's normal. When the Evo pitchs to achieve it's 42mph, the wind pushes down on the Evo, causing it to descend. If you press throttle at the same time as going forward, you can prevent the Evo from losing altitude.

Shouldn't Autel do the same?

I have been with my Evo a long time ago and never use ludicrous mode. I always fly on normal mode. I just don't trust ludicrous mode.

So true. I don't trust it either but it's insanely fun tossing it all over the air (now I realize why they call it "Ludicrous"...lol). Crazy fast but man the pilot better know what they'r doing hence the reason why I decided to create this thread. I'm almost positive people have crashed on this L-mode - extremely risky.

Good point. I did the very same thing on all my DJI drones and plan to do the same with Evo during windy days. Although I fly typically on less windy days but it's good to know in case it's needed.

Reactions: Ansia

Good thing you caught it in time. Good reactionary skills there !

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo