Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo II E w/ RTK General Questions

I just spoak with a guy that sells Autel Enterprize and Matrice 300 and Micro Drone, He said (and don't believe it) But I told him you're a PRO, about what is happing and said to send him the telemetry please, If you can share that with me of course, and said if this is happing you get a lemon and need to return it, as he has never heard of this happing...

Something really seems off. Still on v.2.3.8 ?
Yes and it is still prompting me for v2.3.8 Even though it's already on there. This has been the case the entire time and if I do it then I will lose connection to the drone, basically starting a whole process over again.

WOW, have you considered a replacement? Will your seller replace the drone if need be?
That may end up being what happens but that's what just occurred with the Yuneec (long story). I feel like I basically just walked myself into the same and it's not the resellers fault. Big drone companies don't seem to be any different than other big companies.

Reactions: yarrr
WOW, have you considered a replacement? Will your seller replace the drone if need be?
That may end up being what happens but that's what just occurred with the Yuneec (long story). I feel like I basically just walked myself into the same and it's not the resellers fault. Big drone companies don't seem to be any different than other big companies
I can also get you in contact with him
So he's just looking for the logs off the controller? That's what I just sent to Angel from Autel I'll send you a link soon.

Reactions: jmason702
So here we are almost 2 weeks later since reporting this to Autel I they just asked for the 3rd time for clarification on what is happening. We are obviously still in Tier 1 support. "THE DRONE DROPS 20-30FT UNEXPECTEDLY." I am not sure what is so hard to understand about that.

Short story is the main pain points,
Drone unexpectedly drops 20-30ft in mapping missions.
NTRIP disconnects with every aircraft reboot.
Multi-battery resume mission upload fails/stalls/hangs every time. Due to RTK not ready?

Now the long story of the 05/17 mission from hell... This is what we call an Existing Conditions map. It is used to get a general idea of the terrain which depends on how much cover there is but is more importantly documentation of site conditions before we ever touch (literally) the ground. Real topography is usually captured after this land has been grubbed and cleared so the vertical is not really important at this stage. We'll still run the cut/fill design regardless.

40 acres
65deg Crosshatch
185ft AGL
75/65 overlaps

1. Initial liftoff and the mission flew for 1.5 lines before it stopped and notified "Mission Execution Completed"
  2. Pressed resume and because it hadn't flown a complete line it started over
  3. Second resume ran another 25% further and did the same thing.
  4. Rebooted Explorer on the fly
  5. 3rd resume continued through the completion of the first battery.
  6. Wasted near 30% of battery #1
  7. Installed battery two
  8. System requested to resume mission (no way around it) so I said yes. It immediately started to upload/download and the process fails sending me back to the mission screen with no flight plan. System also "notified RTK not ready".
  9. Force closed Explorer and the process repeated itself as in #8
  10. Process repeated several times before I squeamishly said no to the first prompt in order to choose the correct mission and then select resume once inside of it. This allowed me to use the software instead of having to kill it from a stalled upload attempt.
  11. Now that timing is figured out so the swap workflow is defined.
    1. Run mission
    2. RTH
    3. Swap battery
    4. Restart Autel Explorer
    5. Respond no to continue mission
    6. Get to the mission interface
    7. Select mission
    8. Resume RTK services
    9. Restart mission.
    10. What happens after that is a mystery.
  12. Once the mission resumed it flew about 500ft and said "RTK not ready", looked at the UI and satellites dropped from 20-25 down to 8-10. Basically it just completely dropped Beidou and Galileo. I believe that it paused itself when it lost fix but I pretty quickly paused it myself so that's not for certain.
  13. I let it sit there for almost 5 minutes and then noticed that the RC and Video feed signals were reporting only one bar so I RTH'd.
  14. Another clunky restart, resumed the mission and it did the same thing. It's like all radio signals were failing at the same time. This usually means a power issue in the RC world.
  15. Since this battery swap could easily be broken out as a new mission I shut everything down and let it sit for a couple of minute. Restarted normally and flew to the completion of battery #2.
  16. Wasted another 50% of battery.
  17. Running battery #3 and noticed that the shutter sound for each capture was not happening when in mission view so the only way to know it was taking pictures was the switch to camera view and watch the shutter button blip. About 20 seconds later it just started making the sound by itself. SIDEBAR - HOW DO YOU TURN UP THE VOLUME? Completed battery 3 with just over 50% of the site complete. Did I mention I have 5 batteries and no charger?
  18. Wasted 15% of battery #3.
  19. Running battery #4 and no pictures are being taken. No camera details/telemetry at the bottom of the screen. It was blank.
  20. Landed and restarted the drone causing the entire clunky process again. Took off and it did the same thing.
  21. RTH and rebooted all systems with a short down-period.
  22. Restarted battery #4 and completed another 25-30% of the mission.
  23. Wasted 15% of battery #4
  24. Ran battery #5 and manipulated the flight plans along the way to accomplish the best coverage I could with what battery i had left.

FUN right?! All in all besides another month off my lifespan the data came out very good. Typically I wouldn't even worry about obliques, much less a crosshatch on this type of map but I did it on purpose to force the worst characteristics out of the camera to see what kind of accuracy it would hold in pure 3D modeling and it did well. Typical Z RMSE has been from 0.05ft-0.15ft and this one was 0.41ft which is pretty darn good for that much data. Processed in DroneDeploy but i am going to compare with local processing through SimActive Correlator as well.

Hill Country Volvo on DroneDeploy

All in all it took 5 batteries and a full smart controller charge to fly 40 (80) acres... not good.

Last edited:
Yeah, that sounds like a nightmare. I have not used the Evo on a multi-battery mission yet. I'll try and do one this weekend. I know @jmason702 doesn't have that problem with his v.1.

I have never had the altitude drop or missing image problems you've had but I don't have that many missions on it yet to say definitively that mine doesn't do it.

Reactions: elphtrooper
This might be a feature request. It looks like you cannot change the direction of the flight path? It seems to pick the end closest to home. I hacked the use of a rectangular mission, lessened the side laps and downsized so that there was only one line in order to use similar to DroneDeploy's facade. Problem is that it is 0d or 90 right...

I thought you could change the direction of the flight path to any degree?

I thought you could change the direction of the flight path to any degree?
I think it had something do do with the fact that it was one line? I spun it 180d and it still wanted to start next to me. It will not turn -90d... I'll have to try it on some standard flight plans.

You have limited control. You can change the angle of flight, but cannot really control where it starts and ends like in other flight apps. I generally like to start a mission farthest away from me and have it getting closer all the time. With AE, you can rotate the leg angle around but it will not let you end up with the start/end points reversed no matter what angle you select. In my experience anyway.

I generally like to start a mission farthest away from me and have it getting closer all the time
Thanks for this Dave. We try to do the same thing. The precise point return of DroneDeploy is a really big battery saver when you have long legs. The ability to go ahead and let it head back towards home and pause it very close to yourself is great.

Reactions: Dave Pitman
Another drop today... This one was about 50ft and I have no choice but to send it back and be without a drone for however long it takes for them to figure it out.

1.png

2.png

Well it finally happened and it was in manual flight with NTRIP toggled off. No drops during the actual mapping mission. The brave soldier finished it's last mission. Now to see how quickly Autel is willing to turn around a replacement. Fingers crossed that I can figure out some way to not lose a $4k golf course contract. 😒 I'm just glad it didn't happen on it.

1653670734753.png

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Detritalgeo

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy