Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO has an Ambarella H2 image processor, one of the best...

HiloHawaiian

Reaction score
I wonder what Parrot and DJI use? Ambarella has a newer H22 image processor, out in 2017 — I wonder why Autel didn’t use it? Cost most likely...
This is an important spec for any digital camera system. I wish they’d all disclose more...

The Sony IMX230 Sensor allows for 21-Megapixel photographs, RAW files, and 2x optical zoom. Seydoux claimed the Anafi can endure harsh weather conditions and is robust when it comes to the cold or heat, with the lens remaining optically stable.

The Sony IMX230 Sensor allows for 21-Megapixel photographs, RAW files, and 2x optical zoom. Seydoux claimed the Anafi can endure harsh weather conditions and is robust when it comes to the cold or heat, with the lens remaining optically stable.
That’s all good news if true, and I’m betting it is... I’m guessing Autel is trying to maximize what they’re getting from their 12mp sensor with solid S/W and processing, which can make a significant difference—but the camera industry has known for years consumers suffer from megapixel envy. If a cheap Android phone has 30mp of noise for a camera, it sounds better for marketing.

Parrot seems to have made some smart decisions and good engineering in the Anafi, especially by making sure everyone knows it’s Sony’s best drone/action cam sensor. What I don’t get? All the reviewers say Afani is not a serious camera platform—why not if We find it performs as well as it sounds it might...

I think a lot of people are turned off by the two axes gimbal. And on one forum a french guy said the RAW photos he looked at were not all that great. I tried to get a link from him but he could not or would not provide one. I have only seen two really good reviews so far and one really bad one :) If it was not for the good looking girl he was videoing it would have been the worst review I ever saw :eek:

This is interesting

"
IMX230
IMX230 is a diagonal 7.487mm (Type 1/2.4) 21 Mega-pixel CMOS active pixel type stacked image sensor with a square pixel array. It adopts Exmor RS™ technology to achieve high speed image capturing by column parallel A/D converter circuits and high sensitivity and low noise image (comparing with conventional CMOS image sensor) through the backside illuminated imaging pixel structure. R, G, and B pigment primary color mosaic filter is employed. By introducing spatially multiplexed exposure technology, high dynamic range still pictures and movies are achievable. It equips an electronic shutter with variable integration time. It operates with three power supply voltages: analog 2.5 V, digital 1.1 V and 1.8 V for input/output interface and achieves low power consumption. In addition, this product is designed for use in cellular phone and tablet pc. When using this for another application, Sony does not guarantee the quality and reliability of product. Therefore, don't use this for applications other than cellular phone and Tablet PCs. Consult your Sony sales representative if you have any questions."

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Wow, no kidding, very interesting. I’m a fan of increased dynamic range! Smartphones are where the big volumes are... Adapting it for drones? Hmmmmm. Buying a sensor made in these volumes would make them cheaper. I’ll wait on another purchase until everyone’s chimed-in since I have plenty of XSP stuff that works well.

I read a long article in response to someone critiquing Apple’s stubbornness in sticking with a 12mp iPhone camera sensor in even it’s $$$ X model. Yet, iPhones regularly are ranked near the top in image quality. The answer reminded me of what NASA said about the Mars Rover 2MP cameras.

12MP is plenty if everything else top-notch (EVO?). A decent sensor is just a 1/3 of the equation — at best. Optics are key. Processing is a complex, multifaceted beast. It’s the custom code written to enhance with the RAW image sensor output, working in concert with the image processor. Kind/type of compression and efficient workflow? Maintaining high quality can slow processing (Nikon D800). Getting it all to work together as a harmonious system that maximizes what the individual components are capable of — to perform a given device’s misssion, (a drone, a phone, a rover) isn’t easy. Apple said in 2015, 800 employees work on the iPhone camera exclusively. Apple is finally moving to another sensor next year — likely a Sony since they dominate this market. I wonder if it’s this one?

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xander0791