Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Any iPad Pro Tips (Not as a Controller)?

GeekOnTheWing

Reaction score
Website
flypart107.aero
This past weekend bought an iPad Pro 11 (256GB with WiFi and Cellular) for various (mostly) work-related reasons. I also bought the Magic Keyboard. I have all of my essentials installed on it, but I'm wondering if anyone has found any drone-specific uses for which this is the best tool (other than as a controller / screen, as I have the Smart Controller).

I've already discovered that the native Files app is... let's be kind and say "limited." The $12.99 FileBrowser Professional app, on the other hand, is a thing of beauty. It connects to... well, pretty much anything.

I installed and am planning to play around with iMovie to see whether / how well it works for quick edits in the field. (Apparently DaVinci Resolve has either been pulled from the App store or doesn't work on this model because of the new processor.)

I'll most likely also install Affinity Photo to do the same with still photos.

The various drone-specific weather and airspace apps have been installed and work fine. I don't think there's any particular advantage to using them on the iPad rather than the phone except for the bigger screen, but they do work.

I'm undecided on ForeFlight because I really only fly drones and ultralights these days; and I don't need all the functionality ForeFlight offers (but could use some that it doesn't). It would be nice if they came out with a UAS-specific version.

I do like the tablet, by the way. It's amazingly capable. It had better be. It cost me more than I paid for some of my cars.

Richard

dr is not going to work on any ipad. imo, your best program is lumafusion
Okay, thanks. It looks like there used to be a listing for it at one time, but maybe that was for MacOS.

I was playing around with iMovie and found it bewildering. My friend says his 8-year-old granddaughter uses it all the time. Thanks, said I.

I'll check out Lumafusion.

Richard

I was playing around with iMovie and found it bewildering. My friend says his 8-year-old granddaughter uses it all the time. Thanks, said I.
iMovie is a great program for editing video as long as you aren't working with LOG footage..... its free and pretty easy to use. If you are just using basic color corrections and editing videos for yourself, it does a great job. None of the other editors are easier.... they are either more powerful, harder to use or just different.

Reactions: GeekOnTheWing
iMovie is a great program for editing video as long as you aren't working with LOG footage..... its free and pretty easy to use. If you are just using basic color corrections and editing videos for yourself, it does a great job. None of the other editors are easier.... they are either more powerful, harder to use or just different.
Yeah, that was the problem: It's too easy. I've used Premiere Pro, Rush, Lightworks, Vegas Pro, pretty much every FOSS NLE ever cobbled together, and now Resolve Studio, all of which are blessed with an abundance of distractions from the video itself.

iMovie's GUI has... well, a play button... and not much else.

I did eventually cave in and watch some tutorials. It is easy. I'm glad, because I was about ready to hire my friend's granddaughter to teach me.

All of this looking for drone-related uses for the iPad will most likely make its way to a Web page at some point. I figure if I'm wondering what else I can do with the magnificent little machine, there probably are others wondering the same thing.

This is the first iPad I've owned, by the way. I fell in love with it pretty quickly.

Richard

To tag onto this thread anybody know where I can purchase a USB-C to 90 angled lightning conector, 1‘ in length to ease the use of an i-Pad with the Autel Nano controller?

I finally got around to installing LumaFusion. I have to say, I like it a lot. I sat down and was able to bang out a simple video without even looking at the 373-page (!) manual.

I will read it eventually. I just wanted to get an idea of the app and the iPad Pro's video-editing capabilities. I am mightily impressed with both.

On a closely-related note, I also bought one of these. I'm pretty sure it's the fastest SD card reader I've ever used.

A young lady at Staples in Kingston recommended it. I didn't feel like spending five hours driving to and from Micro Center to buy a USB-C SD card reader, so I gave it a chance even though I'd never heard of the company before.

Richard

Reactions: kenautelevo2pro
I finally got around to installing LumaFusion. I have to say, I like it a lot. I sat down and was able to bang out a simple video without even looking at the 373-page (!) manual.

I will read it eventually. I just wanted to get an idea of the app and the iPad Pro's video-editing capabilities. I am mightily impressed with both.

On a closely-related note, I also bought one of these. I'm pretty sure it's the fastest SD card reader I've ever used.

A young lady at Staples in Kingston recommended it. I didn't feel like spending five hours driving to and from Micro Center to buy a USB-C SD card reader, so I gave it a chance even though I'd never heard of the company before.

Richard
awesome, glad you like lumafusion.

Reactions: GeekOnTheWing

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller