Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

I have never flown a drone before

RFIgotme

Reaction score
Well I have wanted a drone for awhile but never got around to it. I admit I saw the B&H deal for the EVO II 640T enterprise package and got one...then bought a RTK module for it. Then so I can learn to fly before doing something dumb and $$$$, picked up a Nano+.

Yes I was aware support will be discontinued in like Oct 2024 for the EVO 2 before my purchase. The EVO II V3 version will still have most of the replaceable parts. Firmware upgrades or if something bigger breaks it will be difficult to get it fixed due to this. The reason I went with Autel is the fact I won't be "geo-locked out" from being able to fly. I live somewhat close to an airport so I don't want to deal with the hassle of all that. I also picked up the Nano+ because I believe both can wish both could have used the same app though the EVO II has a dedicated controller and shouldn't need a phone (both use Autel apps but one is explorer and the other is sky). From what it appears from videos is the Nano can track/follow subjects but the DJI is WAY better at it, hopefully this improves a lot.

First question is how close does the Nano fly compared to the EVO II V2. I figure the Nano will be a bit more "twitchy" but other than that be somewhat similar in low wind conditions.

Second question (s): I will probably just go ahead and apply for Part 107 so I can have the option to fly at night. I will have to register the EVO 2 regardless but so long as I don't add weight to the Nano+ it won't require it...but I assume if I wanted to fly that at night it would require registration as well. I know come Sept of 2023 I will need a RID module for the EVO, not sure if the Nano+ has this built in already or not. At this point I might just refrain from flying the Nano at night and forget the registration on it. The part 107 will also allow me to possibly make money if I find a gig I like to do but not the primary purpose and understand it will cost me $175 every two years to take a test.

One of my first goals is to map a lot of property I have. I would take the 3d map and insert it into a home designer software so I could plan for the walkout basement and other things. This will also give me an idea if I would like to do stuff like this for profit or not. This was the reason behind the RTK module though at this point I am not sure what I need to buy and make the connection "whole." I think I need some sort of ground station on site for the best results but not sure on that.

Overall if I am happy with it I could see myself getting an EVO II V3 enterprise later, I see the Nano+ can use the SE controller like the EVO II V3. I wonder if the Nano+ can use the 7.9" V3 controller as well?

Any tips or suggestions I am all ears, thanks.

Last edited:
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum!

I would think that the nano will fly very similarly except for maybe in high wind conditions

The Part 107 test costs $175 for the initial test, once you pass it, you take the online recurrent class and test for free.

Reactions: EBEPLS and GFields
Your first drone you ever bought was a Evo 2 640T? And you don't have a Part 107?

You're my new hero!

Good luck and you will catch on with flying soon enough with practice.

• Haha
Reactions: redleger
buy the cheap drones first, ive gone through about 12 of those quadcoptors eshin 48's of whatever, look on the chinese websites for them alibaba or amazon quadcoptor has an office in colorado but they just buy these in bulk and resell them i think, so ive lost three and the rest have been cannibalized for parts, the electric motors go out, again you can buy spare motors online, so you get pretty good at figuring out how to piece together a flyable drone from a couple that were too messed up to fly, then you do all the crazy stuff with the disposable drones like flying 6" off the pavement or trying to fly inbetween the horizonal slats of farm gates. a few week ago i had some kids with these toy machine guns that shot the clear silicone jell pellets trying to shoot the drone out of the air. it was a blast! the drone got a bit slimey though.

so now when i fly the expensive drone autel evo 2 640T v2 i dont worry too much because you have all that practice with the cheap drones

Reactions: redleger
buy the cheap drones first, ive gone through about 12 of those quadcoptors eshin 48's of whatever, look on the chinese websites for them alibaba or amazon quadcoptor has an office in colorado but they just buy these in bulk and resell them i think, so ive lost three and the rest have been cannibalized for parts, the electric motors go out, again you can buy spare motors online, so you get pretty good at figuring out how to piece together a flyable drone from a couple that were too messed up to fly, then you do all the crazy stuff with the disposable drones like flying 6" off the pavement or trying to fly inbetween the horizonal slats of farm gates. a few week ago i had some kids with these toy machine guns that shot the clear silicone jell pellets trying to shoot the drone out of the air. it was a blast! the drone got a bit slimey though.

so now when i fly the expensive drone autel evo 2 640T v2 i dont worry too much because you have all that practice with the cheap drones
i fly at night mostly using the drone to scout out feral hogs of check out how many deer are eating up the oat feild

Reactions: EBEPLS and redleger
Well I have wanted a drone for awhile but never got around to it. I admit I saw the B&H deal for the EVO II 640T enterprise package and got one...then bought a RTK module for it. Then so I can learn to fly before doing something dumb and $$$$, picked up a Nano+.

Yes I was aware support will be discontinued in like Oct 2024 for the EVO 2 before my purchase. The EVO II V3 version will still have most of the replaceable parts. Firmware upgrades or if something bigger breaks it will be difficult to get it fixed due to this. The reason I went with Autel is the fact I won't be "geo-locked out" from being able to fly. I live somewhat close to an airport so I don't want to deal with the hassle of all that. I also picked up the Nano+ because I believe both can wish both could have used the same app though the EVO II has a dedicated controller and shouldn't need a phone (both use Autel apps but one is explorer and the other is sky). From what it appears from videos is the Nano can track/follow subjects but the DJI is WAY better at it, hopefully this improves a lot.

First question is how close does the Nano fly compared to the EVO II V2. I figure the Nano will be a bit more "twitchy" but other than that be somewhat similar in low wind conditions.

Second question (s): I will probably just go ahead and apply for Part 107 so I can have the option to fly at night. I will have to register the EVO 2 regardless but so long as I don't add weight to the Nano+ it won't require it...but I assume if I wanted to fly that at night it would require registration as well. I know come Sept of 2023 I will need a RID module for the EVO, not sure if the Nano+ has this built in already or not. At this point I might just refrain from flying the Nano at night and forget the registration on it. The part 107 will also allow me to possibly make money if I find a gig I like to do but not the primary purpose and understand it will cost me $175 every two years to take a test.

One of my first goals is to map a lot of property I have. I would take the 3d map and insert it into a home designer software so I could plan for the walkout basement and other things. This will also give me an idea if I would like to do stuff like this for profit or not. This was the reason behind the RTK module though at this point I am not sure what I need to buy and make the connection "whole." I think I need some sort of ground station on site for the best results but not sure on that.

Overall if I am happy with it I could see myself getting an EVO II V3 enterprise later, I see the Nano+ can use the SE controller like the EVO II V3. I wonder if the Nano+ can use the 7.9" V3 controller as well?

Congratulations on your purchase and I know you’ll find flying a drone enjoyable.

My biggest recommendation is search for videos online, which show you some flying maneuvers and become proficient.

You can register your drone under part 107, before you test and save yourself an additional $5.00.

The difference is recreational is like a car drivers license. You can drive any car. Part 107 registration is like a license plate. It’s only fir that drone.

I bought a bundle from Pilot Institute. It’s a series of short videos and at test time I was very confident. I scored 93% on the exam. Once purchased, you have lifetime access to the training.

If you’re retired military you can test for free at the military testing center on a post or base.

I also joined The Drone U. I didn’t learn about them until after I tested. They have mountains of training, both online and resident. I was impressed with their programs and purchased a lifetime membership.

Shop around a bit and you decide what is best for you.

Reactions: Mavikhan

Also, you can get Hull Insurance to protect your drone, just like auto insurance. There are also liability policies specifically for drone operations, although you may not need the liability insurance just yet.

Again, do some research and decide what’s best for you. The Hull Insurance will cover your investment, as you learn to fly.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy