Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo Fly Away? Run Away? Help!

Flytechguy

Reaction score
So I was flying my Evo and just had it hovering over a pond in the woods not moving. I was just using the controller not another external device to see what the drone camera could see. Suddenly my drone started to do little circles and I know that this is what happens when the drone is about to do a fly away. Luckily when I realized this was happening I immediately tried flying my drone back and ended up catching it as it flew completely sideways toward me and hit the kill switch. Then 2 minutes later went to an open field to see if it would happen again, and nothing did. Can anyone tell me if this was almost a fly away or what could have possibly been happening? Thanks!

So I was flying my Evo and just had it hovering over a pond in the woods not moving. I was just using the controller not another external device to see what the drone camera could see. Suddenly my drone started to do little circles and I know that this is what happens when the drone is about to do a fly away. Luckily when I realized this was happening I immediately tried flying my drone back and ended up catching it as it flew completely sideways toward me and hit the kill switch. Then 2 minutes later went to an open field to see if it would happen again, and nothing did. Can anyone tell me if this was almost a fly away or what could have possibly been happening? Thanks!
Not sure what happened there but UAV Forcast is indicating Satellite problems...not enough locked. That might have something to do with it...but it also shows that the KP index is ok.

What makes you say that? Never heard or read of this phenomenon before.:rolleyes:
This actually happened to one of my older yuneec breeze drones. Also it happened with my friends yunnec breeze it started circling a tiny bit and then bigger bigger bigger circles...plop right in the water. At least I believe this is a real thing, a fly away that is.

This actually happened to one of my older yuneec breeze drones. Also it happened with my friends yunnec breeze it started circling a tiny bit and then bigger bigger bigger circles...plop right in the water. At least I believe this is a real thing, a fly away that is.
It's been said that if a drone begins to fly circles (toilet bowl swirl) instead of maintaining a steady hover you should land immediately. It usually indicates GPS or compass problems.

Reactions: Flytechguy
It's been said that if a drone begins to fly circles (toilet bowl swirl) instead of maintaining a steady hover you should land immediately. It usually indicates GPS or compass problems.
Learn sumthin' new every day - well, maybe not EVERY day...:eek:

I've been a victim of flyaways twice. On both times it did not behave as you describe. On one ocasion, it was hovering perfectly, then suddenly it took off away from me without any stick input.

The second time I was flying away from me and it suddenly steered right and started flying on it's own.

Never found out what caused it.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to add. This was a Phantom, not Evo.

I've been a victim of flyaways twice. On both times it did not behave as you describe. On one ocasion, it was hovering perfectly, then suddenly it took off away from me without any stick input.

The second time I was flying away from me and it suddenly steered right and started flying on it's own.

Never found out what caused it.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to add. This was a Phantom, not Evo.
Interesting stories luckily I caught this one before that could happen. Hope my drone has nothing wrong with it though for the future.

This is what F's me up EVERYTIME i fly

IF i have a fly away there is a very good possibility that someone could be injured by it

I live in NYC and wide open spaces are rare

The space near me (where i do most of my flying)is 150 yards Wide and Long...BUT at the end of this open space on ALL sides is PEOPLE

I can't relax...i rarely venture past the fences that surround the open space

I am so very much looking forward to the Summer where i can fly in mile after mile NO PEOPLE zone of UPSTATE NY

and it Won't be long...YES !

Reactions: Drgnfli
This is what F's me up EVERYTIME i fly

IF i have a fly away there is a very good possibility that someone could be injured by it

I live in NYC and wide open spaces are rare

The space near me (where i do most of my flying)is 150 yards Wide and Long...BUT at the end of this open space on ALL sides is PEOPLE

I can't relax...i rarely venture past the fences that surround the open space

I am so very much looking forward to the Summer where i can fly in mile after mile NO PEOPLE zone of UPSTATE NY

and it Won't be long...YES !
Luckily for me I've been in upstate NY for a while flying so I don't have to worry about anyone near me too much, gone to some pretty cool places upstate too (check out Flytechguy YT) but soon there will be people near me and I pray this doesn't happen again!

We have a place in Pine Hill..near Phoenicia ..Woodstock..off of rte. 28 (exit 19 ) off the NYS Thruway

a mile from Belle Aire Mountain ..a fine skiing spot and the population soars in the winter...spring and summer...Shhhh...Quiet

Luckily for me I've been in upstate NY for a while flying so I don't have to worry about anyone near me too much, gone to some pretty cool places upstate too (check out Flytechguy YT) but soon there will be people near me and I pray this doesn't happen again!

My family and i have been vacationing in the Adirondack Mountains area of Northern NY State at a place on a Lake..PARADOX lake...1/2..1/3 the size of the GIANT Lake George (WITHOUT all the touristy crap)...a private area of Paradox lake where we rent Cabins on the Lake...the place is dotted with hundreds of islands...some the size of a car...some 100 yards long)...I picked up 2 extra batteries for my Evo and besides swimming and boating/Sailing i will have the Evo do some Island hopping for me,as i sit on the shore or on the Dock bouncing from one island to the next...counting the days...YESSS

My family and i have been vacationing in the Adirondack Mountains area of Northern NY State at a place on a Lake..PARADOX lake...1/2..1/3 the size of the GIANT Lake George (WITHOUT all the touristy crap)...a private area of Paradox lake where we rent Cabins on the Lake...the place is dotted with hundreds of islands...some the size of a car...some 100 yards long)...I picked up 2 extra batteries for my Evo and besides swimming and boating/Sailing i will have the Evo do some Island hopping for me,as i sit on the shore or on the Dock bouncing from one island to the next...counting the days...YESSS
That sounds awesome been told by many of friends I need to go there to film. One day ... One day

Reactions: swings16
That sounds awesome been told by many of friends I need to go there to film. One day ... One day

You won't regret it...There is another lake there...SCHROON lake..a HUGE lake but it does not have the Insane behavior that you may find on lake George...Lake George is a Grand beautiful place but it is over the top TOURIST...people selling crap everywhere..inflated prices..Noisy...packs of kids having had too much beer...SCHROON lake is on the scale of Lake George but more of a local crowd..Quiet...CLEAN a fine place that we stayed many summers with our kids when they were..KIDS...Paradox is CLEAN...Mostly local people...no garbage or crap on the beach...CLEAN..More on the Quiet side...All manner of Boats..Sail/Hot rod/canoe...are available for rent at fair prices...the same can be said for SCHROON lake..GEMS upstate...I am booked and paid up for the 2nd week of August at Paradox...i snorkel and dive often (i have my SCUBA certification ) and the clarity of the water is the finest i have ever seen...a hundred feet or more..Crystal

We have UAVs here that never fail to return home. Their never affected by magnetic interference, have no batteries and no licence needed. They are called Boomerangs :rolleyes:

Reactions: swings16
Hmm, I had a boomerang that wouldn't come back. It would boom, but failed to rang. Of course, it wasn't an authentic Aussie boomerang.

Hmm, I had a boomerang that wouldn't come back. It would boom, but failed to rang. Of course, it wasn't an authentic Aussie boomerang.
The definition of a boomerang that doesn't come back is a stick. ;)

Reactions: Drgnfli
I had two fly aways with my Evo. Both with no stick control. I did contact Autel and they talked me through some measures like calibrating the sticks. The second fly away ended in crash in Nepal. I'm sure it has to do with the compass, which was giving me issues. I call it a suicide....ha ha. The drone was sent in for repair. I have been 3 months without a drone due to shipping issues. (Not Autel's fault) I echo what was said above about the fear of a fly-away that hurts someone. I will get the drone back in Ho Chi Minh, Viet Nam. Like the New Yorker, I will be hard pressed to find open space for test runs. The above scenarios make me even more nervous. However, with that being said, I need to study up more on all operating procedures. And....98% of the time I get incredible shots. I started with a DJI Spark, but was always fighting the geo fencing software, but it never flew away....hmmmmm.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over3