Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo 2 vs Air 2s

@OldBlueHeron @mshmovie
Here I thought I was the only drone hoarder.....!!!
You all don't want to know how many drones I have.

Just to add my 2 cents. No I don't have the Air2s, or the Air2. Why?
1. The Air2 and Air2S are LOUD compared to the E2Pro. Higher rpm motors, smaller props = noise. I also fly around my neighborhood, and sometimes at the beach (of course not over people) but keeping a low profile and not "bugging" people is a top priority for me.
2. Geofencing. You may not think this is a big deal....but think about this...you go on vacation and take both drones. One you may be able to fly (E2P) and one may be limited due to DJI geofencing. However....the E2P is bigger and heaver to take on a trip.

I have a solution for you. And it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the Air2S. The DJI Mini 2. Its small. It's under 250g. The video is beautiful and loaded with features for such a small drone. Its quiet. Its fast. It uses the same controller as the Air2S. It flies great, even in high winds due to the power to weight ratio. Its half the price of the Air2S. BUT...it does have DJI geofencing, which you can't turn off. Well...you can, but...well....you need to go through DJI to do so....but...that discussion won't happen here. (permanent unlock)

The rumor is, is that Autel is working on a "mini 2" type drone, under 250g. If it is as good as the Mini 2, people will buy it like hot cakes.
DJI makes the best drones overall, but none can compete head to head STILL with the E2Pro as far as camera's go. (DJI wins hands down on flight characteristics, smooth flight)
To put it bluntly....if DJI didn't steal your data and geofencing was not enforced, but just gave you warnings....I am not sure other drone makers would survive.

Good post. I have a Mavic Mini that won the day on a western carribean trip; 249 grams was under Mexico's drone constraints, but yards away someone was flying their M2P.

The tiny form factor makes it a pleasure to travel with, however, I don't trust it in any significant wind. (It outclassed the Spark significantly.) Its sucessor's use of Occusync makes it superior.

Air 2S is the Goldilocks drone to me for domestic travel requiring a flight; my M2P was a hassle to travel with.

I intend to leverage the E2P as I do my M2P; just will enjoy the larger size and better video. The lack of geofencing could be good or a way to fly when you shouldn't (I've only been grounded by DJI in Belize - was not a big deal to me at the time.)

Unsure if DJI does anything significant or of concern with our data. I collect over one billion http api hits a day to help target ad campaigns to internet tv (OTT) and what we gather just let's us know marketing/demo without personally identifiable info (and it's a lot to process - not simple). What's DJI going to do with flight data and what we do when authenticated and cookied?

Reactions: aebiv
some will agree and some will disagree but I swapped out the props on my ma2 with master airscrew and to my ears, it made a big difference. to me the ma2 was already quiet but even more so....and the blue is a nice color!

I think I'm going to keep the ma2 and not upgrade to ma2s but instead wait to see if there is a m3. however, last year I swapped out the mm for the mini2 and there's a huge difference between those two. the original Mavic Mini is a toy.

Reactions: aebiv and Quad808
some will agree and some will disagree but I swapped out the props on my ma2 with master airscrew and to my ears, it made a big difference. to me the ma2 was already quiet but even more so....and the blue is a nice color!

I think I'm going to keep the ma2 and not upgrade to ma2s but instead wait to see if there is a m3. however, last year I swapped out the mm for the mini2 and there's a huge difference between those two. the original Mavic Mini is a toy.
Now you have me thinking about selling my MM (the Spark has to go - flew it yesterday and it's comparably terrible w.r.t. range and image quality), as if I need a Mini 2. Thanks. ;)

The E2P is a Photographer's drone with a wonderful 1" sensor. Sharp, corner to corner. It has ample camera settings and takes excellent stills and videos, even in low light. I don't have personal experience with DJI products, but what I've seen for comparisons on YT with the latest DJI consumer drones, the E2P can produce superior images. It also has superior obstacle avoidance capabilities with sensors on all sides. However, if you want a "follow-me" drone, get the Skydio 2. It has a decent camera with 1/2" sensor. It all depends on what you want to do with the drone.

The E2P is a Photographer's drone with a wonderful 1" sensor. Sharp, corner to corner. It has ample camera settings and takes excellent stills and videos, even in low light. I don't have personal experience with DJI products, but what I've seen for comparisons on YT with the latest DJI consumer drones, the E2P can produce superior images. It also has superior obstacle avoidance capabilities with sensors on all sides. However, if you want a "follow-me" drone, get the Skydio 2. It has a decent camera with 1/2" sensor. It all depends on what you want to do with the drone.
Agree on the Skydio 2 - incredible piece of technology.

I look forward to getting my E2P tomorrow. My M2P is not a slouch though, a shot from Sedona from about a month ago below:
DJI_0051 (2).JPG

@OldBlueHeron @mshmovie
Here I thought I was the only drone hoarder.....!!!
You all don't want to know how many drones I have.

Just to add my 2 cents. No I don't have the Air2s, or the Air2. Why?
1. The Air2 and Air2S are LOUD compared to the E2Pro. Higher rpm motors, smaller props = noise. I also fly around my neighborhood, and sometimes at the beach (of course not over people) but keeping a low profile and not "bugging" people is a top priority for me.
2. Geofencing. You may not think this is a big deal....but think about this...you go on vacation and take both drones. One you may be able to fly (E2P) and one may be limited due to DJI geofencing. However....the E2P is bigger and heaver to take on a trip.

I have a solution for you. And it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the Air2S. The DJI Mini 2. Its small. It's under 250g. The video is beautiful and loaded with features for such a small drone. Its quiet. Its fast. It uses the same controller as the Air2S. It flies great, even in high winds due to the power to weight ratio. Its half the price of the Air2S. BUT...it does have DJI geofencing, which you can't turn off. Well...you can, but...well....you need to go through DJI to do so....but...that discussion won't happen here. (permanent unlock)

The rumor is, is that Autel is working on a "mini 2" type drone, under 250g. If it is as good as the Mini 2, people will buy it like hot cakes.
DJI makes the best drones overall, but none can compete head to head STILL with the E2Pro as far as camera's go. (DJI wins hands down on flight characteristics, smooth flight)
To put it bluntly....if DJI didn't steal your data and geofencing was not enforced, but just gave you warnings....I am not sure other drone makers would survive.

Wouldn't it be nice if Autel could figure out how to make their drones fly as smoothly as DJI's? Maybe the new A-Mini will have a new and improved controller with a smoother feel.

I get that emergency services don't need that cinematic feel to their video and that's fine. Maybe the new Smart Controller will have that smoothness we crave. Unfortunately the price point is too high for most hobbyists.

I have the MA2 and Air 2S. The 2S is significantly better. The camera alone makes it worth it. Then it's much quicker than the MA2. Air Sense is good. For the best camera the E2P is what I reach for but for average use I think the A2S will be my go-to drone like when I go off-roading or traveling in general unless I have a specific need for the E2P.

I have the MA2 and Air 2S. The 2S is significantly better. The camera alone makes it worth it. Then it's much quicker than the MA2. Air Sense is good. For the best camera the E2P is what I reach for but for average use I think the A2S will be my go-to drone like when I go off-roading or traveling in general unless I have a specific need for the E2P.
we'll see. if the air 2s has a nice price drop and I can unload my ma2 at a decent price.....I don't need the fmc so it might be doable. thx. :)

Reactions: Eagle928
Wouldn't it be nice if Autel could figure out how to make their drones fly as smoothly as DJI's? Maybe the new A-Mini will have a new and improved controller with a smoother feel.

I get that emergency services don't need that cinematic feel to their video and that's fine. Maybe the new Smart Controller will have that smoothness we crave. Unfortunately the price point is too high for most hobbyists.
I fully agree, and all it takes is more finesse in the firmware/app. Just need to smooth out the twitchy controls with more options in the app. I don't believe this is that hard to do, and don't know why this hasn't been done yet. DJI drones have a smooth curve when you engage throttle etc....Autels engage immediately, so just need to tone it down a smidge.

After playing with the Air 2S some more; it quickly became clear the A2S doesn't hold a candle to the E2P or M2P in video or photo. It does "okay:" in D-Log. I'd return it but I made the mistake of ordering from Drone-works. I'll never do that again.

Between the short flight time, subpar photo and video quality, the zoom feature only works in certain video resolutions and not at all in photo mode and no variable aperture; it really isn't a $1000 drone. More like a $600 drone.

I can't recommend the Air 2S to anyone. I should have used Amazon or Best Buy to buy it so I could return the one I bought.

Signed;
Disappointed in Arizona

After playing with the Air 2S some more; it quickly became clear the A2S doesn't hold a candle to the E2P or M2P in video or photo. It does "okay:" in D-Log. I'd return it but I made the mistake of ordering from Drone-works. I'll never do that again.

Between the short flight time, subpar photo and video quality, the zoom feature only works in certain video resolutions and not at all in photo mode and no variable aperture; it really isn't a $1000 drone. More like a $600 drone.

I can't recommend the Air 2S to anyone. I should have used Amazon or Best Buy to buy it so I could return the one I bought.

Signed;
Disappointed in Arizona
thanks for the honest update; I think this helps me confirm I should continue to wait for the new autel drone or the new m3 maybe later this year. I will hold onto my ma2 for now.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper

This is a Terrific rumor, I’ll definitely order a Autel Evo mini if Autel makes one. First time I’ve heard this, Would be neat if soon to release Smart Controller will link up with the Autel Evo Mini?

Exciting news, Autel Evo Mini would be great! Appreciate you sharing this!
Paul

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials