Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO I vs. DJI Mavic AIR 2

MMFCLU

Reaction score

For Owners of the original EVO, does anyone think it might be worth it to sell the EVO I and use the net proceeds to buy a Brand New Mavic Air 2 with new Warranty for $799 [or $988 for their equivalent of OTG Package?]. The Mavic Air 2 apparently also does 4K video @60 fps but at 120 mbps with a 1/2" sensor & some other new features. Of course, knowing full well about the DJI geofencing.

Other than "8K" Hyperlapse, "48MP" photos and 120fps @ 1080p, it's pretty much the same. To be able to record at 120mbps you will need a V90 card. Those cost a bit and unless you are a professional film maker and the equipment to process it, you won't really get the advantages of it.

Also, for what you will get from your Evo, you will be lucky to break even. Just my 2 cents.

Mavic A2 will have occusync 2, better reception in areas with inference. Further range, longer flights per battery.

When thinking about range, the greater the advertised range the greater chance of signal strength when obstacles are an issue. Maybe someday non-VLOS will be a thing, but until then having a long-range signal (strong signal) should help in the VLOS run to. Also, your spotter may be somewhere on your path and not standing right next to you.

For Owners of the original EVO, does anyone think it might be worth it to sell the EVO I and use the net proceeds to buy a Brand New Mavic Air 2 with new Warranty for $799 [or $988 for their equivalent of OTG Package?]. The Mavic Air 2 apparently also does 4K video @60 fps but at 120 mbps with a 1/2" sensor & some other new features. Of course, knowing full well about the DJI geofencing.
The Mavic air2 is geofenced, the Evo is not, MAir 2 has one compass\imu meaning no redundancy, the Evo has two, Mavic requires a phone to fly, the Evo does not, MAir2 height is limited to 1600ft when allowed, the Evo lets you fly up to 2600 ft no questions asked. Autel customer service is better. Occusync is better but not by much, IMO.

If you go with the Air, get the bundle. I think DJI has much better controls and flight modes than the EVO 1. EVO is way to twitchy and the damn props in the shot.

I have had 7 DJI drones and now the EVO1 - I still have a Mavic zoom and Mavic air. While I like the EVO the DJI drones are my goto for anything commercial or on trips etc. The EVO is fun but it's really hard to beat the DJI products plus they can run Litchi which is superior in itself. Personally I will wait a year or so for the MA2 as it may be prone to issues like the Mavic Mini which does not appear to be very solid.

Reactions: christianpeso
I have had 7 DJI drones and now the EVO1 - I still have a Mavic zoom and Mavic air. While I like the EVO the DJI drones are my goto for anything commercial or on trips etc. The EVO is fun but it's really hard to beat the DJI products plus they can run Litchi which is superior in itself. Personally I will wait a year or so for the MA2 as it may be prone to issues like the Mavic Mini which does not appear to be very solid.
DJI with its geofencing is a deal breaker, not matter what model. With the Evo you do not have to worry about this. Probably why you got one?

Reactions: Peter Goldwing
Exactly I got the EVO just for that reason and so far am able to stop all updates on my Mavics. I only use litchi which does not nag non stop like the Go App

Reactions: Madhungarian
When thinking about range, the greater the advertised range the greater chance of signal strength when obstacles are an issue. Maybe someday non-VLOS will be a thing, but until then having a long-range signal (strong signal) should help in the VLOS run to. Also, your spotter may be somewhere on your path and not standing right next to you.
The Mavic Mini is solid for what it is, and is actually a great technological advancement. What are your issues or what have you heard to say such a thing?

Last edited:
The Mavic air2 is geofenced, the Evo is not, MAir 2 has one compass\imu meaning no redundancy, the Evo has two, Mavic requires a phone to fly, the Evo does not, MAir2 height is limited to 1600ft when allowed, the Evo lets you fly up to 2600 ft no questions asked. Autel customer service is better. Occusync is better but not by much, IMO.

Questions for you sir/ma'am and/or anyone else:

1. How often has Geofencing stopped you from flying? And of course I mean really "stopped" you from flying, not just having to get authorization.

2. How often has your imu and compass completely failed for you?

3. How often have you had to fly above 1,600ft, but below 2,600ft? And just an fyi, Autels latest updates restricts the Evo to 1,600ft, at least that's what I heard.

4. How is Autels customer service better? 1st hand experience, or from what you read? Please keep in mind that even 100 customer service reviews you have read(if you have read this much) is a mere drop in the bucket to the total amount of customer service requests.

5. How is Occusync 2.0 a "little" better than Evos reception? Little better as in 3+ miles more than an Evo, or just a mile? Better reception in crowded, urban areas? Is this your personal experience, videos you watched online, or have you been able to conduct an experiment yourself?

Thank you!

1. How often has Geofencing stopped you from flying? And of course I mean really "stopped" you from flying, not just having to get authorization.

3. How often have you had to fly above 1,600ft, but below 2,600ft? And just an fyi, Autels latest updates restricts the Evo to 1,600ft, at least that's what I heard.

4. How is Autels customer service better? 1st hand experience, or from what you read? Please keep in mind that even 100 customer service reviews you have read(if you have read this much) is a mere drop in the bucket to the total amount of customer service requests.

5. How is Occusync 2.0 a "little" better than Evos reception? Little better as in 3+ miles more than an Evo, or just a mile? Better reception in crowded, urban areas? Is this your personal experience, videos you watched online, or have you been able to conduct an experiment yourself?

Thank you!
1. I borrowed a Spark here in my area and it would not let me fly higher than 400 ft since I live next to hills and they are much higher and there is an airstrip nearby for skydivers. Geofencing stops people all of the time that use their drone commercially, just look on youtube.
2. The Mavic mini has only 1 imu and also does the Mavic Pro and Inspire1 I believe all prone to more fly aways especially the mavic mini in which I have seen on youtube.
3 I have flown my drone over 2000ft up in hills to record poppies in Walker Canyon in CA.
4. I have seen just as much videos on youtube with Evo flying just as far if not farther in urban areas and even Billy Kyle did a test. Here are some tests for you to see. I have flown mine out 3 miles.
Here is a realword test, and also Billys.
Both Evo's have same transmission distance tech, only reason why Evo2 can go farther is battery life. OH yeah sorry my numbering is off never had to deal with DJI customer service but I dealt with Autel and since they located in the US I was able to get my 2 problems I had resolved with no questions and send back within a week and a half.
THANK YOU!

Let me correct you on Occusync vs Autels. It wasn't designed for better range, but rather better reception against interference. As a pilot for both Autel and DJI, I can tell you the live feed to my DJI is superior from Autel's. That being said, the range is the exact same for both.

Reactions: Madhungarian

Thank you!
Also one other thing, I like carry my drone with me on the weekends and if something feeds my interest I like being able to take off within minutes not needing my phone and worrying about udpates and\or geofencing. Also I do not plan on updating my explorer app just because of what you said of the height limit change. I had someone tell me not to.

Last edited:
The Mavic Mini is solid for what it is, and is actually a great technological advancement. What are your issues or what have you heard to say such a thing?

I have seen many posts on the MM regarding fly aways and trouble with wind. plus the SDK has not been released so no Litchi which a deal killer for me. I think waiting is still a good plan

If you go with the Air, get the bundle. I think DJI has much better controls and flight modes than the EVO 1. EVO is way to twitchy and the damn props in the shot.
To fix the 'props in the shot' issue, I've taken to going somewhere between 10 and 13 degrees of down-gimbal on the camera. seems to do the trick. I think the problem is that the EVO 1 has the whole offset to the left issue with the camera so it's ALWAYS the left prop that seems to interfere with the camera. I suppose you could also use ND filters to try and eliminate the props by manipulating the shutter speed, but I tend to fly on Auto with no filters so that's where the bulk of my experience lies.

just saw an article claiming Autel has won a battle against dji, and the patent violation will cease all sales of the Mavic series to be sold in the USA

DJI has the worst customer service , speaking from first hand knowlege. i think one is a fool to jump from Autel into a DJi machine, unless your lease it month to month and dump it after a year.

Last edited:
just saw an article claiming Autel has won a battle against dji, and the patent violation will cease all sales of the Mavic series to be sold in the USA

DJI has the worst customer service , speaking from first hand knowlege. i think one is a fool to jump from Autel into a DJi machine, unless your lease it month to month and dump it after a year.

There is a thread about this already.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy