Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO 2 series Battery overheat, overheating, power failure

Quinn,
I would like to know,
What about the jacket of black velcro that would not help with heat dispersion either. The sharpies are for doing mapping operations and surveys, that is the real reason???????LOL. I am very interested very early on in this thread you said that you could reproduce the same problem with the battery terminals as they are in the photos. Just how would you achieve that, I am very interested. Mainly because they are the negative terminals for the battery and it is usually the positive supply-side that overheats and causes the troubles.
And as for cutting out the sides, this would allow more outside airflow through the battery. The fan draws its air supply from the two vents just behind the camera mount and blows through the many layers of the multiple chip&board layers(3) that I referred to earlier in this thread. I tested the fan flow with taping off all the outside vents that I could find and that is when I found the two inlets of gause covering behind the camera ( L & R )sides. The flow rate was the same covered or uncovered, I am presently looking for a higher flow rate fan with all the same characters except the flow. I am still following this up as this HEAT is a big problem especially here in Australia and I solved it for the YUNEEC TYPHOON H SERIES of HEX machines. Regards Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the grass.

Is no one going to mention the sharpie marker pens stuck on with tape that are being used as leg extensions?
I used a hot melt glue gun and slid them on the legs. I like landing on grass or sand when needed. They also protect the gimbal and camera from debris on the ground. By the way, they come off with a little pressure. The glue sticks to the plastic of the pen more than the legs when pulled with a little force. I put velcro on the longer legs and attach anti collision lights.

Quinn,
I would like to know,
What about the jacket of black velcro that would not help with heat dispersion either. The sharpies are for doing mapping operations and surveys, that is the real reason???????LOL. I am very interested very early on in this thread you said that you could reproduce the same problem with the battery terminals as they are in the photos. Just how would you achieve that, I am very interested. Mainly because they are the negative terminals for the battery and it is usually the positive supply-side that overheats and causes the troubles.
And as for cutting out the sides, this would allow more outside airflow through the battery. The fan draws its air supply from the two vents just behind the camera mount and blows through the many layers of the multiple chip&board layers(3) that I referred to earlier in this thread. I tested the fan flow with taping off all the outside vents that I could find and that is when I found the two inlets of gause covering behind the camera ( L & R )sides. The flow rate was the same covered or uncovered, I am presently looking for a higher flow rate fan with all the same characters except the flow. I am still following this up as this HEAT is a big problem especially here in Australia and I solved it for the YUNEEC TYPHOON H SERIES of HEX machines. Regards Johnno Hennessy. Keep flying on the green side of the grass.
Right now, I'm doing everything I can NOT to reproduce the battery terminal problem. I like the Evo 2s capabilities too much. I tried using a drone racing fan attached to the side openings to see if that would cool the battery when flying forward. I used a 900 mah 7.4v bath attached to the top of the main battery compartment. I had the fans pushing air into the battery compartment. It didn't change anything. So.i took them off. Should I have tried pulling air out instead? Let me know. I just fly sideways when I see the heat getting near 120f. It brings it back down 10 degrees or more while flying at full speed in ludicrous mode. I often see it go from 120 to 109 by the time I get to my home point. Speaking of home point. I noticed the terminal burns only after using automated features, like return home, sensor anti collision systems, auto landing or other CPU related functions. I've been flying this new Evo 2 over 4 weeks. It's a record !!!. However, I turn off all the automated functions I can in the settings. Even the front leds. Of course the GPS stays on. I'm afraid to try the computer controlled flying modes. Except a few. I'm thinking the cpu may have been causing an excessive current over the affected terminals. What do you think? Also' do you think I should try turning the fans around to pull air out of the battery compartment and through the front vent behind the camera? Autels's venting system is poorly designed for such a powerful aircraft and battery, if you ask me. Have you tried it? You would have to cut a square in the orange plastic capsule for the fan. Congrats on your Yuneec Typhoon solution.

NOTE REGARDING THE VELCRO IN MY PICS. I use the velcro to attach ANTI COLLISION LIGHTS and A Dropping Mechanism I modded from one designed for a mavic. I use it to drop fishing line and sometimes water balloons for fun. The piece of velcro on the bottom attaches the light sensor to the bottom landing lights, which I can turn on and off. Turning the light on opens the holding pin servo mechanism, turning it off keeps the mechanism closed I can show a pic of that too, if anyone wants to see how I changed the Servo Powered Dropping Mechanism. I pretty much altered it too fit on all of my drones. It's basically a universal Dropping Machine. Works perfectly. It fits' my Mini, EVO2, Mav 2 Pro/Zoom and Mav Air 2.

NOTE REGARDING THE VELCRO IN MY PICS. I use the velcro to attach ANTI COLLISION LIGHTS and A Dropping Mechanism I modded from one designed for a mavic. I use it to drop fishing line and sometimes water balloons for fun. The piece of velcro on the bottom attaches the light sensor to the bottom landing lights, which I can turn on and off. Turning the light on opens the holding pin servo mechanism, turning it off keeps the mechanism closed I can show a pic of that too, if anyone wants to see how I changed the Servo Powered Dropping Mechanism. I pretty much altered it too fit on all of my drones. It's basically a universal Dropping Machine. Works perfectly. It fits' my Mini, EVO2, Mav 2 Pro/Zoom and Mav Air 2.
Here are some pics of the modded dropping / thrower attachment. Its extremely light weight. Fishing gear is easy to drop.

Attachments

• 20201205_101355.jpg
    20201205_101355.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • 20201205_101533.jpg
    20201205_101533.jpg
    691.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20201205_101713.jpg
    20201205_101713.jpg
    604.4 KB · Views: 12
@quinn karter Here is what I fail to understand...maybe you can help me wrap my brain around this.
You said this is your 3rd Autel drone, 8K after purchasing 2 other 6K drones, correct? That is an investment of around at least 4K? If my math is about right...you invest that much and you are worried about a $200 battery? And you use sharpies for leg extensions?
What am I missing here? This is not a comment on if what you are saying is correct or not as to what happened with your batteries. Help me understand why investing so much $$ makes sense? Is this a business expense for you, or just a expensive hobby? I understand drone addiction...goodness knows I have far too many....hahahahaha!

Its more of a drone addiction. The broken ones, I sell there parts off. I save money by making my own parts as well. Gives me just enough money to get another drone. I didn't have enough money for this last one so I bought the 8k version. I'm happy with it. I also own the mav 2 pro, mavic air 2, mavic 2 zoom and mavic mini 1. I like Evo 2 because of their capabilities and reduced flight restrictions. DJI is just so restricted. My next purchase may just be an Evo 2 pro camera. This last evo2 drone 8k I bought is functioning very well. No glitches. Oh , I noticed the Evo 2 is about 10mph slower than the Dji mav 2 series. But it flies 10 to 15 minutes longer. I want to become a pilot some day. Jobs for drone pilots will be increasing dramatically over the next 5 years. I have my fleet. I really want a good surveillance VTOL SOME DAY

If you rocked up to a survey of mine and pulled that drone out, I think we'd be discussing the termination of our agreement ?
PingSpike,
If a person is licensed and flying a job, the Uav has to be in manufacturers approved condition, Quinn may be licensed (don't know or care ) but he would not get a pass mark here in Australia. If it is not OEM it is not on SITE. That includes additional strobe lights unless CASA have approved there use on that site for extra visual positioning. Something went wrong with his first Drones and I would like to know how it occurred and why it occurred. Johnno Hennessy.

Just saw this thread and all I can say is wow, My piece of crap Evo 2 6K Pro is currently down awaiting support and just another issue. 4 weeks old and a huge 25 minutes of flight time total! This company needs a class action lawsuit with all of its issues. I was on the sister site for DJI Phantom and in 3 years posted maybe 10 times, Got the oh yeah you must by this EVO 2 drone sucker review **** and now have 30 post in 2 weeks. Go figure and anyway Merry Xmas bro. I hear ya. See photo and it aint burnt pins but I cant fly with this either so we are both screwed it appears. AND TO ALL THOSE WHO SAY OH MY EVO 2 IS PERFECT LETS TRADE AND SEE WHAT THE OTHER SIDE HAS!

Attachments

• 12-14-2020 - View Issue (3).JPG
    12-14-2020 - View Issue (3).JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 10
Quinn,
I have just about got the fan rates and volumes and looking for higher capacity ,or should say volume of air flow in the same size. To achieve that I think that we will need to go to a more expensive one than what is supplied. But I am still working on it . Today I had great success with my first alternative battery adapter, it did everything that was expected, just waiting for some different parts and should have a cheaper alternative . $ 62 AUD is the cost of the 8000 mah 50 c battery. Johnno Hennessy. I will keep you informed as I make progress, some time it takes time getting the correct parts etc and delivery in AUSTRALIA.. Keep Flying on the Green side of the Grass.
Luckily we rarely get temperatures this high in Denmark - but - for you I think you should have landed immediately when the temperature got into the 'red' zone.

Also remember to never fly outside visual line of sight - getting home is a lot faster, if you stay within say 500 yards at most from your home position.

Agree on the battery temp warning - there should be an indicator and a warning to land immediately - not go home for miles - when the temp gets too high.

I would highly recommend using Airdata to view your flight logs. One of the unique features is the ability to see your battery current drain on the map of your flight. It shows when you change modes and how much current is being drained at various speeds.
I was shocked to see the current drain in Ludacris Mode at full speed.
If it crashes you'll be able too exactly what your battery is doing at the time of the crash.
Its based on the automatically uploaded flight logs.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20210103-115039_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210103-115039_Chrome.jpg
    873.6 KB · Views: 4

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58