Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Dronetag BS install inside a Evo 2

I just ordered the Dronetag BS and the smallest antennas. Backordered until next month of course. I plan to open up the my Evo 2 and install this device and antennas inside the orange body. Power will be connected to the drone's main batter power internally. I might put a small microswitch drilled into the side of the orange body to turn that power on and off if I decide I don't want it on.

I just ordered the Dronetag BS and the smallest antennas. Backordered until next month of course. I plan to open up the my Evo 2 and install this device and antennas inside the orange body. Power will be connected to the drone's main batter power internally. I might put a small microswitch drilled into the side of the orange body to turn that power on and off if I decide I don't want it on.
Please take pictures of how you install it.
I purchased the DroneBeacon. Its software is modifiable to just have the FAA and Law Enforcement see the information.
No “Karen’s “ can view the information.

I purchased the DroneBeacon. Its software is modifiable to just have the FAA and Law Enforcement see the information.
It's not that only the FAA and LE can see it. It is just configured to use WiFi only with Bluetooth disabled. The consumer smart phone apps today use Bluetooth. But can easily be developed to use WiFi too. Just a matter of what is practically available to the consumer today.

It's not that only the FAA and LE can see it. It is just configured to use WiFi only with Bluetooth disabled. The consumer smart phone apps today use Bluetooth. But can easily be developed to use WiFi too. Just a matter of what is practically available to the consumer today.
True
But hopefully by the time they come up with a new app it won’t be front page news anymore

Please take pictures of how you install it.
Hi, I'm curious if the DroneBeacon was sold to you that way, with the understanding that only the authorities can detect it and unauthorized individuals cannot? If you have a reference, that would be great. I understand there are various discussions and videos on YT but wanted to know if that message is alluded to or marketed in some form or another.

Hi, I'm curious if the DroneBeacon was sold to you that way, with the understanding that only the authorities can detect it and unauthorized individuals cannot? If you have a reference, that would be great. I understand there are various discussions and videos on YT but wanted to know if that message is alluded to or marketed in some form or another.
Again, this does NOT make it so "only the authorities" can detect it. All it's doing is disabling bluetooth broadcast mode and enabling WiFi broadcast mode. WiFi mode makes it very difficult, slow, or impossible for most of the consumer smart phone apps to detect. Wheras the consumer smartphone apps can rapidly and easily detect the bluetooth based RID broadcast.

Nothing about this has anything to do with WHO can detect the RID broadcast. It's WHAT can detect the RID broadcast. Most neighborhood Karens aren't buying expensive RID receiving hardware. They're using a smartphone app that works efficiently and effectively with Bluetooth, and slowly or not at all with WiFi broadcast.

It is an effective way to reduce or eliminate smartphone app RID broadcast detection TODAY. But that's only because the technology, apps, and costs are limiting it. Not because "only the authorities can detect it".

Again, this does NOT make it so "only the authorities" can detect it. All it's doing is disabling bluetooth broadcast mode and enabling WiFi broadcast mode. WiFi mode makes it very difficult, slow, or impossible for most of the consumer smart phone apps to detect. Wheras the consumer smartphone apps can rapidly and easily detect the bluetooth based RID broadcast.

Nothing about this has anything to do with WHO can detect the RID broadcast. It's WHAT can detect the RID broadcast. Most neighborhood Karens aren't buying expensive RID receiving hardware. They're using a smartphone app that works efficiently and effectively with Bluetooth, and slowly or not at all with WiFi broadcast.

It is an effective way to reduce or eliminate smartphone app RID broadcast detection TODAY. But that's only because the technology, apps, and costs are limiting it. Not because "only the authorities can detect it".
I know. The question I asked is "Who is selling it that way?" I'm trying to find out if somebody is saying that or thinking that...and telling it to public.

I know. The question I asked is "Who is selling it that way?" I'm trying to find out if somebody is saying that or thinking that...and telling it to public.
The product he mentioned has a software options to change it between Bluetooth and WiFi. The DroneTag is Bluetooth only. I don't think anyone is selling a WiFi only model, or one that does both with wifi enabled by default.

what should they do, scrap them? they are allowed to continue to sell them, they just can't build new one going forward. we don't even know for sure if the sept deadline will be extended or not. in time, there will be many external rid modules for sale and this will almost become a moot point. either way, any drone regardless if it has rid or not, can be flown in a fria without rid.
Perhaps, if Autel had ANY sense of responsibility to their customer base, they would have supplied an RID module. Instead, they have ignored the issue for two years. This close to the deadline they should supply a module or make it clear that V1 and V2 models will require one. Plus, they should state that these models are facing end-of-support as well. They won't of course. They have NEVER finished the V3 as it compares to their marketing materials. Max Lee, get your head out of your ..... concentration on Enterprise sales and models and remember that you have an existing customer base that is being alienated by your poor customer support. Any current V3 owner will be unlikely to upgrade due to this poor customer and product support. IMHO

Perhaps, if Autel had ANY sense of responsibility to their customer base, they would have supplied an RID module. Instead, they have ignored the issue for two years. This close to the deadline they should supply a module or make it clear that V1 and V2 models will require one. Plus, they should state that these models are facing end-of-support as well. They won't of course. They have NEVER finished the V3 as it compares to their marketing materials. Max Lee, get your head out of your ..... concentration on Enterprise sales and models and remember that you have an existing customer base that is being alienated by your poor customer support. Any current V3 owner will be unlikely to upgrade due to this poor customer and product support. IMHO
I think Autel has jumped ship we just don't know it yet. I think they've made it clear there are no plans to provide RID to older drones and I also think they have made it crystal clear the end of life is near for some drones.

Why should they supply a module for the 2,000 Autel drones afloat if DJI isn't supplying a module for the 200,000 DJI drones afloat? Probably because they know what we all know which is only about 10% of those drones plan to comply. Furnish a module to a consumer and it will probably end up being sold. Not sure where Autel is supposed to find 2,000 modules anywhere at this stage (I have to take that back, I thought modules would be plentiful....they aren't).

Here is the mod video I used
Works Great

My DroneTag BS arrives on Monday. Pictures and video coming soon of installing it inside the Evo.

Arrived! This thing is tiny! I thought I had the necessary JST connector for power in my box of various and assorted misc drone things, but I don't. So ordered a power connector. Weekend project installing.

Reactions: EBERLS
This project did not go well. The only available power source is the 5v power going to LED on a front arm. Super tiny wires and I spent all day screwing around with soldering into that. Then come to find out, the gps in the DroneTag BS is broken. No sats, no nothing. So I put it all back together and done for now.

• Sad
Reactions: kenautelevo2pro
This project did not go well. The only available power source is the 5v power going to LED on a front arm. Super tiny wires and I spent all day screwing around with soldering into that. Then come to find out, the gps in the DroneTag BS is broken. No sats, no nothing. So I put it all back together and done for now.
:(...Sorry to hear. I was hoping to replicate your efforts on my lone E2 Pro-v1. Where were you able to find room internally? Any pictures to share?

Plan A was along the side or bottom, since I was hoping to only have to remove the bottom half of the shell. So that's where I ran the power wire you see in this picture. Then I'd put the GPS antenna up top and the bluetooth antenna on the bottom. But nether the side nor the bottom have enough room without deforming the shell. So I'll probably just put it on top above the gimbal bay and just use the included single wire whisker antennas. I was also hoping to find main battery power or 5v power easily accessible on a board, but nothing, so the LED power wire going to a front arm was the only useful power.

Nice thing about using the 5v LED power, is you can turn off the LEDs from the app. Which would also power down the RID if needed.

PhotoCollage_20230909_084020743.jpg

Reactions: EBERLS
Turns out the DroneTagBS is perfectly fine, not defective. I connected it to an external power supply to take a video for DroneTag support (Lucas). And wouldn't you know, it worked as expected, no malfunction. Guessing the 5v power I was tapping into on the Evo was not enough to properly power the DroneTag.

I don't think I'm going to continue trying to find an internal installation on the Evo. It's just not worth it and not practical. I will end up using the BS externally.

Screenshot_20230910-131643~2.png

Any idea what's the issue? I'm dealing with the same issue on a DJI mini 2 that's wired up to the battery posts. I had planned on integrating the BS into the Evo 2 but clipped a branch. I'm getting a green light but the app is reporting no GNSS. 8VDC off the battery connectors so no switching or limiting. Is it a current draw issue?

Last edited:
That's a good point. My Evo 2 Pro is my only bird right now. I would probably do the same if I had 2-3 drones just for simplicity. Less things is more better :). But if I had more than that, then economically the external one would start win.

I plan to buy it on Monday.
Remember transferable RID only applies to recreational flying for those drones.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo