Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Dronetag BS install inside a Evo 2

pedals2paddles

Reaction score
So this little thing looks like an ideal "solution" to this government created problem. I haven't actually opened my Evo 2 up to see what there is room for inside. But I imagine there is somewhere inside the airframe this tiny little module can be placed? Solder up some wires to the Evo's main battery power so it doesn't need external batteries or charging. One of their stick-on antennas can even be attached to the inside of the airframe. From the outside, you'd never even know it's there. Out of sight, out of mind, nothing to go wrong.

Props to Dronetag for naming this device so appropriately.

Reactions: uas_gian
So this little thing looks like an ideal "solution" to this government created problem. I haven't actually opened my Evo 2 up to see what there is room for inside. But I imagine there is somewhere inside the airframe this tiny little module can be placed? Solder up some wires to the Evo's main battery power so it doesn't need external batteries or charging. One of their stick-on antennas can even be attached to the inside of the airframe. From the outside, you'd never even know it's there. Out of sight, out of mind, nothing to go wrong.

Props to Dronetag for naming this device so appropriately.

for me, mounting the external module is most appropriate because i have several drones that are not rid ready which means i will need to share this module amongst other drones.

so, are we buying on monday to get the discount or do you think other smaller cheaper modules may be available later this summer?

Reactions: AirStag
for me, mounting the external module is most appropriate because i have several drones that are not rid ready which means i will need to share this module amongst other drones.

so, are we buying on monday to get the discount or do you think other smaller cheaper modules may be available later this summer?
That's a good point. My Evo 2 Pro is my only bird right now. I would probably do the same if I had 2-3 drones just for simplicity. Less things is more better :). But if I had more than that, then economically the external one would start win.

I plan to buy it on Monday.

That's a good point. My Evo 2 Pro is my only bird right now. I would probably do the same if I had 2-3 drones just for simplicity. Less things is more better :). But if I had more than that, then economically the external one would start win.

I plan to buy it on Monday.

I would only get the external one as well, but for a different reason; because the drone will probably never be the same after you open it. I haven't looked into taking apart the EVO II but if its anything like most other small electronics surrounded by plastic that I have taken apart then probably most of the airframe is ribbed plastic pressed together which can be easily damaged while trying to separate it.

Judging by the horror stories on this forum regarding the EVO II V2 and V3, my V1 is the best EVO version Autel made, no way am I going to risk its integrity by opening it up.

Last edited:
So, did anyone buy? I'm curious what it takes to make the BS operational...

I forgot to buy it when it was $49. So now of course I'm procrastinating.
i thought about it but couldn't pull the trigger on the additional $30 shipping plus some other fee. will wait to see if someone more feasible is offered later this summer.

Maybe it can be modified to operate inside the airframe, but one of the advantages of having an exterior "stick on" is that you can use it on multiple drones. If a person owns multiple drones they only need to own one RID device. I have my Dronetag Mini on order, so I am anxious to get it in and try it out.

Reactions: AirStag
You don't. The BS is not battery powered, which is part of how it is so small. It has to be wired up to the airframe's main power.
Ooooh! That's not something I'd do even though I have the expertise. To many things can go wrong, plus the loss of flight time.

I'm assuming the power draw to be minimal and have no noticeable impact on flight time. IMO, that's way less things to go wrong than an external module you ahve to keep charged then velcroed to the outside hanging on in flight.

I'm assuming the power draw to be minimal and have no noticeable impact on flight time. IMO, that's way less things to go wrong than an external module you ahve to keep charged then velcroed to the outside hanging on in flight.
You're welcome to take that chance. Introducing foreign hardware to an existing circuit board is risky under the best circumstances and I assume it would void any warranty which probably doesn't matter for the Nano's and E2P V1 and V2. The Nano's only need it if used for commercial 107 type work. How closely that will be enforced is anyone's guess.

It is possible the tag maker worked with the drone maker to develop a plug so it might be a simple process with no soldering involved. Would the tag put a Nano over the 249g limit? Looks like we have more questions than answers at this point.

You're welcome to take that chance. Introducing foreign hardware to an existing circuit board is risky under the best circumstances
If you're experienced working on these things or building drones from parts, it's not at all risky. Certainly not something someone with no experience or skill should attempt on a $2,000 piece of hardware. There are better ways to learn. This would be the least of the flying contraptions that I have applied power to though. Of course voiding a warranty is something to consider on a brand new purchase.

Looking into one of these too...I see several "subscriptions" offered....hoping these aren't needed for basic use in legal compliance.

So, did anyone buy? I'm curious what it takes to make the BS operational...
Hello, this is Jan from Dronetag. To make our BS operational, you only need to connect antennas (one for Bluetooth, one for GPS) and add power, that´s all it takes.

You don't. The BS is not battery powered, which is part of how it is so small. It has to be wired up to the airframe's main power.
Hello, this is Jan from Dronetag. Just to clarify, the BS can be powered from up to 17V power input, or you can consider optionally using the small 3.7V LiPo batteries (e.g., 50 mAh can run up to two hours). Batteries must have a JST SH 3-pin connector.

I'm just waiting for the DT Beacon to come back into stock.
This way I can move it from Drone to Drone
It kinda sucks that Autel is selling new/old stock EVO II V2 without RID

I'm just waiting for the DT Beacon to come back into stock.
This way I can move it from Drone to Drone
It kinda sucks that Autel is selling new/old stock EVO II V2 without RID
what should they do, scrap them? they are allowed to continue to sell them, they just can't build new one going forward. we don't even know for sure if the sept deadline will be extended or not. in time, there will be many external rid modules for sale and this will almost become a moot point. either way, any drone regardless if it has rid or not, can be flown in a fria without rid.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigmaxsg