Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Does Nano record GPS data in subtitles files along with video?

johny

Reaction score
DJI drones, even the most cheap models such as Mini SE, when the user records a video, store data such as GPS position, altitude, ISO settings etc, in a subtitles text file (*srt) that goes with the video and is very useful to know where and when each frame of the video was shot. I know that Autel EVO II also create a subtitles file (*asss filetype i think).
Does Nano/Nano+ record such data in subtitles file? Or alternatively, does it embed it in the video file itself?

Reactions: ADOC
I can confirm that the Nano+ and presumably the Nano embed the subtitle track in the video file. I was able to use the freeware command line program "FFMPEG" to quickly extract the subtitle track and write it to an .srt file. Update rate is once a second. The Lat-Lon resolution appears to be quite good in my test where I traveled for 3km directly above a dirt road and the track I produced from the extracted .srt file never deviated from the 3 meter wide roadway below.

The command line structure to perform this operation:
" ffmpeg -i inputFilename.MP4 outputFilename.srt "

Once you have the .srt file you can then use a text document viewer like Notepad++ to open the .srt file and manually extract points of interest.

With a little more work you can use Notepad++ to reformat the .srt file into an easily processed excel spreadsheet file. Then you save as a .CSV file and you can convert into a GPS track file that you can display on google maps or google earth.

There are online conversion tools available to convert .srt files from DJI drones but I haven't seen any that are compatible with Autel .srt files. If anyone knows of an Autel .srt file compatible tool please let us know!

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials