Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

DJI wants to let anyone with a smartphone monitor nearby drones

Not a big fan of Drone U but they did have Brendan Schulman of DJI on there show trying to explain this stuff. Long broadcast so get yourself some popcorn and sit back and watch the show :)

Interesting. I just had this conversation with some family members over drones during Thanksgiving. My mother-in-law made the comment that if a Drone flew near her house or over her land she would shoot it down!?!?!?! Informed her that since the airspace over her land/house is not hers she would likely be facing charges.

Of course then the famous "I don't want a drone at my window looking inside" argument came out, LOL. Told her that the camera on my EVO and even Anafi could easily "look through her window" from a good distance which shocked her.

Like the those mods observed, I am more worried about gun toting knuckleheads deciding to take pot shots because they feel their privacy if being violated by some drone 500 or more feet away.

That would be one damn good shot! Actually, not possible with a shotgun - it would be very lucky with a rifle!
~

That would be one damn good shot! Actually, not possible with a shotgun - it would be very lucky with a rifle!
~
Hate to disagree, and no discourse intended but, it is very possible to bring a drone down with a shotgun providing it was within reasonable distance of say 100 yards or less. However I have no evidence to prove it has happened but from my experience on the shotgun range it would be possible. IMHO

Yep, A shotgun would be my weapon of choice to bring a drone down. For the same reason you use a shotgun, not a rifle for bird hunting!

Tell that to the guy who had his DJI Inspire shot out of the sky :)
Looks like Swiss cheese after a shot gun blast.
View attachment 5594

Wow, that ting is so full of lead that a fork lift is needed to lift it......
Was thinking taking my evo over to the range today, umm but on second thought.....

Hate to disagree, and no discourse intended but, it is very possible to bring a drone down with a shotgun providing it was within reasonable distance of say 100 yards or less. However I have no evidence to prove it has happened but from my experience on the shotgun range it would be possible. IMHO

I was referring to the 500 ft shot w/ a shotgun.

~
A bit off topic but it wouldn't be all that hard with a shotgun 100 yards of less using heavy bird shot that is used in duck and goose hunting.

Also, as someone who shoots competitively from time to time in the PRS DMR series, someone with a decent rig with optics could easily take a drone down out to 300 yards with a reasonable chance of first shot impact/kill.

Know your DOPE, how to read wind, and a decent LRF or decent at calling distance, and taking a drone down is not as hard as some would think.

A bit off topic but it wouldn't be all that hard with a shotgun 100 yards of less using heavy bird shot that is used in duck and goose hunting.

Also, as someone who shoots competitively from time to time in the PRS DMR series, someone with a decent rig with optics could easily take a drone down out to 300 yards with a reasonable chance of first shot impact/kill.

Know your DOPE, how to read wind, and a decent LRF or decent at calling distance, and taking a drone down is not as hard as some would think.

Your shooting initials (PRS DMR, DOPE, LRF) mean nothing to me as I don't shoot competitively anymore. I'll restate again - hitting a UAV at 500' is impossible with a shotgun & hitting it with a rifle would only be accomplished by an excellent rifleman as it was hovering. 90% of people shooting firearms would have no chance of hitting a drone unless it was hovering. Again IMHO!
~

Question...doesnt the FAA only want you to go 400' yet public airspace is 500'?

Last edited:
Question...doesnt the FAA only want you to go 400' yet public airspace is 500'?
You can fly beyond the 400' ceiling with a special authorization from the FAA (you will have to be Part 107 certified). Many of the FAA regulations were made before drones came to market, so they are currently trying to catch up. This is why public highway starts at 500'.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy