Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

DJI wants to let anyone with a smartphone monitor nearby drones

Hmmmmmmm. Why would anybody want to buy a drone with this capability? What’s the upside for the pilot? Can “anyone” record what they monitor?

Hmmmmmmm. Why would anybody want to buy a drone with this capability? What’s the upside for the pilot? Can “anyone” record what they monitor?
They can't see what you are seeing in your drone. All they can see is what is the serial number of the drone currently flying near them. If you are flying in a NFZ and get reported, then you can be identified. It is no different from the Remote ID the FAA is trying to implement.

It is actually an intelligent business move from DJI's part. It will not only make people believe they are safe against DJI drones, but will bring confidence for goverment agencies in DJI and purchase their products.
Ohhhhhhh, man, I don’t like that much either as a customer buying drones...I understand why DJI must pander to authorities after the negative press about Chinese Gov’t involvement in the company, but what’s the upside for the customer/pilot aside from more complaints? The FAA is one thing, but “anybody“ ??

Ohhhhhhh, man, I don’t like that much either as a customer buying drones...I understand why DJI must pander to authorities after the negative press about Chinese Gov’t involvement in the company, but what’s the upside for the customer/pilot aside from more complaints? The FAA is one thing, but “anybody“ ??
In reality, there will be many people complaining at the beginning. The FAA will go nuts with false reports and will start implementing a filtering system and only taking care of the more serious ones. A simple "a drone flew over my house, he was spying on me" most likely will be ignored (depending on the region, of course). That being said, I am sure that if you give false information to damage a drone pilot, there will be consequences. It's like lying to the police. You will go to jail for doing that.

Reactions: Drgnfli
I could not have said it better then what one of the MOds over at Yuneecpilots put it

DJI continues to escalate it's self proclaimed authority over the industry. Their arrogance and self-importance seems to have no limit. I fail to see how this makes the airspace "safer" or provides a sense of comfort to the general public. The opposite might be a more likely outcome with every shotgun wielding wackos in search of targets.

I could not have said it better then what one of the MOds over at Yuneecpilots put it
Interesting. I just had this conversation with some family members over drones during Thanksgiving. My mother-in-law made the comment that if a Drone flew near her house or over her land she would shoot it down!?!?!?! Informed her that since the airspace over her land/house is not hers she would likely be facing charges.

Of course then the famous "I don't want a drone at my window looking inside" argument came out, LOL. Told her that the camera on my EVO and even Anafi could easily "look through her window" from a good distance which shocked her.

Like the those mods observed, I am more worried about gun toting knuckleheads deciding to take pot shots because they feel their privacy if being violated by some drone 500 or more feet away.

Interesting. I just had this conversation with some family members over drones during Thanksgiving. My mother-in-law made the comment that if a Drone flew near her house or over her land she would shoot it down!?!?!?! Informed her that since the airspace over her land/house is not hers she would likely be facing charges.

Of course then the famous "I don't want a drone at my window looking inside" argument came out, LOL. Told her that the camera on my EVO and even Anafi could easily "look through her window" from a good distance which shocked her.

Like the those mods observed, I am more worried about gun toting knuckleheads deciding to take pot shots because they feel their privacy if being violated by some drone 500 or more feet away.
I'd like to see a video of you trying to look inside from a "good" distance. Actually, try it close and see for yourself. You can't see much of anything, if anything at all. You might want to tell her it's a federal crime to shoot/take one down and that probably 99.9% of people flying around aren't looking to film or snoop on someone.

Last edited:
The FAA considers unmanned aircraft of any size to be covered under Title 18 of the United States Code 32, which describes “sabotage to include destruction of any aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States.” Violation of this code carries a maximum prison sentence of 20 years. In other words, it’s illegal to shoot down any aircraft in the U.S., including a drone, according to federal law. And lest you decide that simply jamming or intercepting control of the offending drone might be more your style, know that the FCC considers any form of “jamming” or otherwise interfering with radio transmission to be a violation of the Communications Act of 1934. Between these two federal laws, most anti-drone technology on the market (including net guns and jamming guns) could put you into some legal hot water.

Reactions: Ansia
The FAA considers unmanned aircraft of any size to be covered under Title 18 of the United States Code 32, which describes “sabotage to include destruction of any aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States.” Violation of this code carries a maximum prison sentence of 20 years. In other words, it’s illegal to shoot down any aircraft in the U.S., including a drone, according to federal law. And lest you decide that simply jamming or intercepting control of the offending drone might be more your style, know that the FCC considers any form of “jamming” or otherwise interfering with radio transmission to be a violation of the Communications Act of 1934. Between these two federal laws, most anti-drone technology on the market (including net guns and jamming guns) could put you into some legal hot water.

In a perfect world everything you said is very true. In the world we live in good luck at getting any Federal judge to take the case. :(

Rick Greulich
October 29, 2018
I received some good news though it is a bit bitter sweet concerning my drone shooting incident. The magistrate in my civil case found in my favor Awarding me the damages I claimed. Unfortunately unless the defendant voluntarily pays the judgment I may still have to petition the court for wage garnishment or a property lien.
On the criminal side of the incident my local prosecutor will not file charges citing the incident began in the air and is therefore FAA's jurisdiction and the FAA's Enforcement standards division referred my case To the Department of Transportation office of the inspector general (DOT OIG) And they have DECLINED to pursue the case. Yep declined.

44950857_964212257099329_4738525937505665024_o.jpg

Reactions: Tufargon
Right. Just saying it's a possibility. On the other hand I doubt anyone would want to go through all that and then have to pay that amount. At the very least it would deter people from doing it.

Last edited:
You mean, I can't do this anymore?
MAX_0023.JPG

Lol before all of you go wild. This is an inspection photo. I was authorized and all residents knew about me at the time.

Anyone care to guess which drone I used for this photo and why? ?

• Haha
You mean, I can't do this anymore?
View attachment 5575

Lol before all of you go wild. This is an inspection photo. I was authorized and all residents knew about me at the time.

Anyone care to guess which drone I used for this photo and why? ?
Can't really see anything inside (my point).
Autel Robotics, camera = XB015

I did. I must have missed it.
Edit: Looked again and still don't see anything.

Last edited:
There was some teen age kid a couple of years ago who made a pretty good video showing that you cannot see anything inside from different distances. I think even when he got super close it was hard to tell just from the refection on the glass so making out what was in the window was hard to tell. I'm sure its on youtube someplace.

As Agustine said, there is reflection and you don't get to see in full details during the day. It's another story at night, but I don't fly at night.

You still can see something inside. People expect full privacy, even if you can't get all the details.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191116-171514_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191116-171514_Chrome.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hakles