Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Date/time stamp

YuKay

Reaction score
If I wanted to add a date/time stamp to my footage (eg. to submit it as evidence in a court case), is there a hidden setting for this? I know I could add one in FCP but that wouldn't prove that the video was filmed at the advertised time.

Alternatively, is this metadata included with raw/log footage?

The metadata is in the jpg and mov files. Not sure about the raw format (haven't used it yet). I use VideoSpec on the Mac to check info on mov/mp4/m4v files.

Simplest method might be to always take-off and the show a picture of the day's newspaper headline?

Even if you could add it, that proves nothing. I can always set the clock wrong...

Once you put the video onto your pc, right click it and look at the properties. it will show when the video was created.

But the creation date of a movie file can be changed simply by re-saving it, so even that is not reliable. But times seem to have changed in the British justice system since I last looked at this and, although admissible as evidence, photos and videos would not nowadays be accepted as proof - and their value as evidence could depend on some credible accompanying testimony to the effect that neither the images nor the computer they were produced on had been tampered with. So I need not worry about date/time stamps.

This is quite an interesting read on the subject.

Theoretically, you could generate a CRC hash utilizing the video file and the time/date stamp. If that code were recorded via a text message or ideally a notary, on that day, it could provide traceability to the original recording with time/date stamp.

Good luck explaining that process to a judge...

In truth, there is no convenient way to prove the date as the computer clock can be changed to create a false date. Filming the front page of that day's newspaper would at least rule out 2,000+ years - while including some live TV news footage in the same clip might help…although "live" TV can easily be recorded for later viewing. Maybe filming the license plates of passing vehicles would provide definitive proof - if anyone wanted to investigate.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lmccaskill