Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Curved turns - does it exist in Mission Planner?

For more dramatic drone video, I use a log-spiral curved flight path. I generate the waypoints and use DroneLink to produce the mission plan.
See attached images. First, there's the waypoints generated; and second is the mission produced using DroneLink.
Benefits: a) There's no need to move the camera since each log-spiral curve has a characteristic constant tangent angle. b) There's a much more diverse view perspective. c) Only two geographic points are required to define the log-spiral curve [one point at each end] - although several waypoints are generated to define the curved flight path.

Attachments

• DroneLink Demo Flight Trajectory 113020.jpg
    DroneLink Demo Flight Trajectory 113020.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • DroneLink Curved Drone Flight Path 120120.PNG
    DroneLink Curved Drone Flight Path 120120.PNG
    108.9 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Rubik3x
For more dramatic drone video, I use a log-spiral curved flight path. I generate the waypoints and use DroneLink to produce the mission plan.
See attached images. First, there's the waypoints generated; and second is the mission produced using DroneLink.
Benefits: a) There's no need to move the camera since each log-spiral curve has a characteristic constant tangent angle. b) There's a much more diverse view perspective. c) Only two geographic points are required to define the log-spiral curve [one point at each end] - although several waypoints are generated to define the curved flight path.
I'd love to see a video example of this.

I'd love to see a video example of this.
Generate yourself a set of waypoints (use Google Earth) similar to the example I provided, import the waypoints into DroneLink, produce yourself a mission plan using the curved flight path, fly the mission plan, and produce the video. Try it; you'll like it.

There's no need to move the camera
I've been manually doing that move, didn't know it had a name! thanks. once i finish the "tight curve", I like like to start "backing out" of the shot, gaining altitude.

I've been manually doing that move, didn't know it had a name! thanks. once i finish the "tight curve", I like like to start "backing out" of the shot, gaining altitude.
Google “Gently Curved, Convergent, Non-traditional Drone Flight Paths”.
I provide all the math.

For a good curve, choose a constant tangent angle of about 30 degrees.

choose a constant tangent angle
I'm a recreationally flying artist, math just gums up the shot ?
I did tech, math, for a living. Now I just have fun learning to "paint" with an orange brush.
The maneuvers I work out in my head for the focal spot i'm interested in. the French curves used in drafting popped in one day, my brain rotated it 30 degrees up and i "flew that line".
that maneuver gets added to my "pallet"
I'm trying to hone in what I call the drunkin sailor currently;
kinda crabbing the drone in a "Z" line, adjusting the gimble down n up, all while keeping the camera on shot, I need a 3rd hand ;)

So you have been able to fly an Autel Evo (I or II) mission with DroneLink? Did you have to do anything special or did Dronelink work as is without any changes with Autel?

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Earl