Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Curved turns - does it exist in Mission Planner?

AP3

Reaction score
When planning a mission, at the junction of a way point it is a sharp angle. Does Explorer offer a curved turns feature or interpolation feature to smooth out a mission?

When planning a mission, at the junction of a way point it is a sharp angle. Does Explorer offer a curved turns feature or interpolation feature to smooth out a mission?
NO, more over drone will stop at waypoint before moving to the next. Forget about automatic cinematic videos. :mad:

Exactly, and I would even say more, it will also stop to change altitude too and then start again.
BUT BE CAREFUL of the elevation change as well because, learned the hard way, it changes elevation, not at the point you asked for, but at the previous point.
if an obstacle is between this point and the point where you requested the change of altitude, it is the crash!
See Here : CAREFULL : EVO MISSION PLANNER
It is this missed turn function between waypoints that put me off buying the Evo 2 when I saw that no improvement of the waypoint course has evolved compared to the Evo 1.
So for me back to the DJI box with the purchase of a Mavic 2 pro which makes me the programmed routes as I want with Litchi.
End of the story.

Last edited:
NO, more over drone will stop at waypoint before moving to the next. Forget about automatic cinematic videos. :mad:
Yes, that is a BIG drawback to this drone. Although, my guess would be Autel should be able to add that feature in the app. ARE YOU LISTENING AUTEL?

No, he surely can't. It is a drone based on the Px4 platform like the Evo 1 and the Yuneec h520 and above.
This flight system does not allow the turn function and forces a slowdown at each operation during a waypoint.
If Autel succeeds in doing it, it will be marked in history.
for notes:
1 Command .jpg3 Turn Types.jpg
C Wpts turn Types.jpg

Last edited:
No, he surely can't. It is a drone based on the Px4 platform like the Evo 1 and the Yuneec h520 and above.
This flight system does not allow the turn function and forces a slowdown at each operation during a waypoint.
for notes:
View attachment 9037View attachment 9043View attachment 9040
Oh! This is terrible news. Mission planner is really a useless function then. Fortunately, I can free fly it, but planning it in a mission is much easier. The other thing I noticed is I can not point 180 degrees from the POI in an Orbit mission. Unless I missed it.

Reactions: parkgt
for notes:
View attachment 9037View attachment 9043View attachment 9040
If Autel can do orbiting and tracking it can control the drone in 'smart' mode. Which means it can reimplement waypoints in the same way. In theory this can be done by simulating user actions. But this will be unstable as UI itself changes from version to version.

This is a HUGE issue that Autel continues to ignore. It may very well cause me to sell my Autel II Pro and buy - cough, cough - a DJI and just put up with the geofence nonsense. Also, no support for Autel in Pix4dCapture. So mapping with the EVO 2 Pro is very limited. Has potential but Autel is being so slow in adding needed features that they have missed the great opportunity they had to eat DJI's market share when DJI chose not to role out the Mavic 3 Pro. Oh well, probably covid and !!!!!!!!!! fault. I'm just disappointed because the EVO 2 Pro has / had great potential. I'm feeling a little buyers remorse as this product just seems stalled. Not much excitement about this product to be found anywhere. Arg. This is too expensive of a drone that a feature as basic as a smooth transition thru waypoints is not possible. I mean who stops at every waypoint?? If I had known this before hand I definitely would not have made the purchase. WAKE UP AUTEL!!!!!!!!!

It can't even fly through a waypoint like it's supposed to, or at least like the setting in the mission menu says it's supposed to. No matter what you said it for, it will fly to and stop at a waypoint, adjust itself, and then move on to the next one.

Basically the most useless mission handling, that other autopilot firmware overcame a decade ago. It's extremely disappointing that Autel can't get this right for what was paid. The least they could do is make the mission settings and advertising not allude to this being a useful feature.

If I need to create a cinematic mission that doesn't suck, I have to go back and use a 5-year-old 3dr Solo drone with a 6-year-old gopro camera on it.

It is for this reason that I did not go for the purchase of the Evo 2 when I realized it was doing the same rotten waypoint circuit as the Evo 1.
Well, did not take, I set my sights, instead, on a Mavic 2 Pro, which does the missions that I program without complaint.
In the six months that I have owned it, I have never been stuck on an NFZ with, at most, two or three cautionary messages. It should not be made a fixation.
Anyway, I'm still waiting, the Mavic 3 Pro would arrive in early 2021 and I think that upon its release, it will be ready.

Last edited:
Anyway, I'm still waiting, the Mavic 3 Pro would arrive in early 2021 and I think that upon its release, it will be ready.
I wouldn't expect too much from Mavic 3. Hasselblad sensors are no match to Sony. They are noisier at the same size. That's why Mavic videos have less details after onboard noise canceling. Other than that M3 probably will be better, at least software. And the best part of it DJI will stop supporting M2, just to motivate you ;)

Reactions: PingSpike
Explorer has a number of deficiencies in the Missions area.
1. Not being able to take RAW still images in any of the Missions.
2. Not being able to record video in Rectangle or Polygon Missions.
3. Spending too long at waypoints in Rectangle & Polygon Missions e.g. at the end of the row and before it starts the next one. Vital seconds are lost added to which the remaining mission time stops until the craft starts moving again so the time for the mission is largely irrelevant.
4. As stated not doing curved turns.

The above means that there is still a use for my DJI kit and Litchi.

Reactions: TheGoldBug
3. Spending too long at waypoints in Rectangle & Polygon Missions e.g. at the end of the row and before it starts the next one. Vital seconds are lost added to which the remaining mission time stops until the craft starts moving again so the time for the mission is largely irrelevant.

You got that right! I added yet another P4Pv2 last week because of these limitations.

You said it brother! I'm giving Autel this winter to get these issues fixed or I am selling my EVO 2 Pro in the Spring and going DJI. I flew some really big mapping missions with the EVO 2 this summer but always lost huge time with the stopping at the end of each flight line. Also, I did some tests with raw capture in camera mode and I see why they have it turned off in mission - because the write times are PATHETIC : 2-3 seconds, which is to slow for mapping. This is not a senor issue, it is a software issue. As well in the Mission Planner the calculated pixel res is completely wrong. It is off by roughly 1.5x. So Autel has lots to work to do, but I'm starting to have little faith that these issues will be addressed.

I want Autel to prove me wrong and shut me up! I really like this drone but it is a half completed beta project.

You said it brother! I'm giving Autel this winter to get these issues fixed or I am selling my EVO 2 Pro in the Spring and going DJI. I flew some really big mapping missions with the EVO 2 this summer but always lost huge time with the stopping at the end of each flight line. Also, I did some tests with raw capture in camera mode and I see why they have it turned off in mission - because the write times are PATHETIC : 2-3 seconds, which is to slow for mapping. This is not a senor issue, it is a software issue. As well in the Mission Planner the calculated pixel res is completely wrong. It is off by roughly 1.5x. So Autel has lots to work to do, but I'm starting to have little faith that these issues will be addressed.

I want Autel to prove me wrong and shut me up! I really like this drone but it is a half completed beta project.

I have always been a DJI products user; and yes we have gone through some growing pains. Even still, the issues were recorded, documented and reported. The major difference is, they listened.

The EVO II Pro 6K is my first Autel product. Let me put it to you this way. You never get a second chance to make a first impression.

If any of you ever used the Typhoon H Curved Cable Cam feature, you undoubtedly appreciated the smooth, cinematic flight path from start to finish. This allowed the pilot to point the camera this way and that while the drone followed the path. But, since it created a smooth spline curve through all the selected way points, it could end up in the trees if the spline swung out that way. Probably not suitable for mapping missions, either. Be careful what you wish for.

And Autel does not do better in the genre, when you ask to change altitude at a point, it would be good for the drone to change altitude at the point you set and not at the previous point.
I learned it the hard way this summer. Fortunately, I was above an unobstructed field, otherwise the drone would be in a tree.
Look at this post, big programming error!
CAREFULL : EVO MISSION PLANNER

The EVO II Pro 6K is my first Autel product. Let me put it to you this way. You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
You probably expect too much from a small company. It's quite an achievement and the first real competitor to near monopoly DJI. I hope everything goes fine and Autel catches up on software. They managed to pull out low noise propellers, anyone else except DJI? I'm not sure...

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dave.Samuel