Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Curved Horizon?

Drone Master

Tech And Advisor
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I thought for sure the sony sensor was next to none, I am a bit disappointed about Autels lens for this camera.
Sure I could fix it up a bit, but Autel needs to re think the lens.
What are your thoughts?

Show us your beef...(no Johnson pics, not the beef I'm referring to).
Here is a snap shot. Not as bad as the GoPro or P2V+, but kind of annoying.
xstarcurve1.jpg

What program are you using?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

What program are you using?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
The pic is just from a still video frame. I can use GoPro Studio to correct, but
it is just another procedure I have to do in post editing. To where as filming with the P3P, I don't have to correct as the horizon is perfect no matter the pitch of the camera. Hopefully with the ability to upgrade camera in the future, Autel will address the lens issue.

The wide angle lens with 105 degrees FoV is why it happens. Line it up so the camera is level and angled up as far as it will go, and the horizon is not curved. Anything lower than that will cause distortion. I hope they come out with other cameras with less wide FoV and different focal lengths.

Reactions: Drone Master
The wide angle lens with 105 degrees FoV is why it happens. Line it up so the camera is level and angled up as far as it will go, and the horizon is not curved. Anything lower than that will cause distortion. I hope they come out with other cameras with less wide FoV and different focal lengths.
Agreed, however most of us want to get the full landscape with just a little sky.
This is common practice when shooting landscape. Guess I will have no choice but to correct and process the raw footage, then start the editing.

Last edited:
The pic is just from a still video frame. I can use GoPro Studio to correct, but
it is just another procedure I have to do in post editing. To where as filming with the P3P, I don't have to correct as the horizon is perfect no matter the pitch of the camera. Hopefully with the ability to upgrade camera in the future, Autel will address the lens issue.

The 2 programs that I've used have automatic Lens Correction profiles available. Adobe Lightroom CC and ACDSee (I've been testing their program for a few weeks, Nice features, but no Lightroom) both have auto correction capabilities. The program will read the EXIF data and apply the correct profile automatically if you like. The problem is there are no profiles for Autel in either program yet.

The good news is you can make your own once and have it applied automatically to every photo that matches the EXIF data. It's not 100% but it is really easy to apply the correction once you've created the profile.

The 2 programs that I've used have automatic Lens Correction profiles available. Adobe Lightroom CC and ACDSee (I've been testing their program for a few weeks, Nice features, but no Lightroom) both have auto correction capabilities. The program will read the EXIF data and apply the correct profile automatically if you like. The problem is there are no profiles for Autel in either program yet.

The good news is you can make your own once and have it applied automatically to every photo that matches the EXIF data. It's not 100% but it is really easy to apply the correction once you've created the profile.
Thanks for info RJ, I am looking into Photoshop CS6 as an alternative. How ever I do believe it also requires some kind EXIF data profile as well.
It's to bad there isn't a simple free app that you can just correct and convert.
Any ideas if there is one out there?

View attachment 28 took this a little bit ago don't see tilt on mine
Hey Paul,
We are,talking about fisheye and how to correct it in video. I don't have any tilt issues. If you took that shot again with your camera pitched down with just a little sky at the top, you will see the curve in the horizon. Especially when doing video.

Last edited:
I will have to go try it how much of a tilt
Do the same thing with your P3S. You will not see any curve as the lens of that camera has less FOV and a better focal point. Therefor the horizon is perfect no matter what degree of pitch or angle of the camera.
Compare the two and you will see what I'm talking about.

Thanks for info RJ, I am looking into Photoshop CS6 as an alternative. How ever I do believe it also requires some kind EXIF data profile as well.
It's to bad there isn't a simple free app that you can just correct and convert.
Any ideas if there is one out there?

I think Gimp does, but from what I remember you might as well stick with manually correcting in the GoPro app.. :) (it was not easy), Short of that, you really should think about using one of the more robust programs available, especially if you're shooting in RAW; Lightroom (or ACDSee Ultimate) will be a life saver. ACDsee is significantly cheaper in the long run, but does not have the support that Lightroom has (that's probably a massive understatement. :D). I believe they are getting ready to release their Ultimate 10 version in a few months.

Here is a snap shot. Not as bad as the GoPro or P2V+, but kind of annoying.

Got it, Amoxom has called it, This is FOV where the XSP has 108deg and the P3P has 94deg. If your comparison pics were taking from the exact same spot, etc. (you're one street back on the xcurve image) you could overlay and make a quick .gif to see what the extra FOV gives you in comparison, but at the cost of a curve with some down gimbal. Autel made a decision and a decision never pleases everyone. With a level or just a couple down degrees of gimbal, the 108 FOV will give you more scene in your shot and not cost you a curved horizon. The 94 FOV won't cost you a curve with more down gimbal, but you will get less scene in the shot.

My personal tastes are level for landscape because more often than not, the sky is as important as the land in the shot for me and we're not going so high in the air that I need to down angle to get enough land. However, your tastes are specified a bit different for landscape shooting and want more land, therefore higher FOV's will cause you grief for corrective steps.

I like others I know are on pins and needles waiting for word on what Autel will offer on modular camera upgrades, it's freaking killing me waiting for word. I'm hoping they are going to skip the expected minimal upgrades, like a digizoom and go after optical zoom and different FOV/focal length options. We don't have much extra weight to play with, but I believe the cam I want will be able to work with the bird.

Got it, Amoxom has called it, This is FOV where the XSP has 108deg and the P3P has 94deg. If your comparison pics were taking from the exact same spot, etc. (you're one street back on the xcurve image) you could overlay and make a quick .gif to see what the extra FOV gives you in comparison, but at the cost of a curve with some down gimbal. Autel made a decision and a decision never pleases everyone. With a level or just a couple down degrees of gimbal, the 108 FOV will give you more scene in your shot and not cost you a curved horizon. The 94 FOV won't cost you a curve with more down gimbal, but you will get less scene in the shot.

My personal tastes are level for landscape because more often than not, the sky is as important as the land in the shot for me and we're not going so high in the air that I need to down angle to get enough land. However, your tastes are specified a bit different for landscape shooting and want more land, therefore higher FOV's will cause you grief for corrective steps.

I like others I know are on pins and needles waiting for word on what Autel will offer on modular camera upgrades, it's freaking killing me waiting for word. I'm hoping they are going to skip the expected minimal upgrades, like a digizoom and go after optical zoom and different FOV/focal length options. We don't have much extra weight to play with, but I believe the cam I want will be able to work with the bird.
Hi Quagmire, And thanks for your input. I to believe in getting the best from my platforms and cameras. I know on time Autel will eventually meet the specs of DJI's cameras. To get a perfect lens for basic shoots is faster for moving your workflow thru the process. It would be nice to just add a corrective lens to the Autels camera like a filter would help with lighting. Sort of like glasses for the the camera to fix the curve. That would be the cheaper route for Autel until they release a better cam! Just my thoughts.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials