Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Curvature in lines while taking photos

Ansia

Reaction score
Yesterday I was doing an inspection of a building and upon looking at the photos, I noticed that the lines were smiling at me. The camera was tilted (like always lately), but that should make the lines diagonal, not change direction mid photograph. The resolution is set at 4000x3000 (4:3). Has anyone experienced this?
MAX_0040.JPG

I photographed this building 6 months ago with the same Evo and they weren't twisted like that.
MAX_0004.JPG

Looking at the left hand side of the building the way it is bowed out it could have been just your camera angle. Hard to tell as we don't see the right hand side to give a reference. My guess would be just a bad shot of the building.

Looking at the left hand side of the building the way it is bowed out it could have been just your camera angle. Hard to tell as we don't see the right hand side to give a reference. My guess would be just a bad shot of the building.
Here is the entire set of photos taken in this inspection.

yes, there is a little problem. Same device settings?
When doing inspections, I always fly with the camera in everything Auto.

I mean same image format, same resolution.
It looks like your lens looks like Fish-eyes in the middle of the photo.
I hope they have not made any changes during the last firmware?
I'll have to watch this on a brick wall.

Looking at this photo from your drop box I see the same bowed affect on the left hand side and a perfect straight line on the right hand side. If it was fish eye affect I would have thought it would affect both sides of the photo.

Screenshot 2020-01-22 07.37.49.png
Screenshot 2020-01-22 07.38.22.png

I did some tests of the new firmware this afternoon and some photos of the take-off plate. I can't find any distortion in the photos, the lines look pretty straight.
Sorry, I did not find any buildings in the park!
MAX_0001b.JPG
MAX_0002b.JPG
MAX_0003b.JPG
MAX_0004b.JPG

My 2 cents would be Ag was right in the 1st assessment. It’s likely your camera angle? It looks like some form of barrel distortion, not pincushion distortion. I really doubt firmware had anything to do with it...

It’s impossible to fly exactly perpendicular to the building, and very wide angle lenses do all kinds of weird stuff if not perfectly perpendicular to the subject—and even sometimes when they are! If you are slightly off on any plane, that skew will distort more compared to other parts of the image. It’s certainly not too objectionable, especially for inspection purposes...

Last edited:
My 2 cents would be Ag was right in the 1st assessment. It’s likely your camera angle? It looks like some form of barrel distortion, not pincushion distortion. I really doubt firmware had anything to do with it...

It’s impossible to fly exactly perpendicular to the building, and very wide angle lenses do all kinds of weird stuff if not perfectly perpendicular to the subject—and even sometimes when they are! If you are slightly off on any plane, that skew will distort more compared to other parts of the image. It’s certainly not too objectionable, especially for inspection purposes...
Hmm. It makes sense. Perhaps try a faster shutter speed might fix the issue.

Hmm. It makes sense. Perhaps try a faster shutter speed might fix the issue.
I don't think that'll do much, it's really about trying to fly damn near perfectly perpendicular to the building, which is practically impossible. When I do a still shoot on the ground, I use a tripod with an accurate level -- it's the only way to be sure.
If you could somehow put a more "normal" lens on it, that would help somewhat -- but even then, if you're skewed toward the building, you'll get some distortion...

Last edited:
LOL, I work for pizza, but I'm picky about the toppings......;)
We can work something out.

I think you should just get the company you work for to fly Hilo and I down there to access the problem. I'm sure a hands on approach we could come up with a solution. :)
Only if you work for pizza, like Hilo.

Besides, are you sure it's your camera? Ask the builder if his team, between two beer-mugs, managed to draw a straight line ......

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo